Thread: wild neighbourhood squirrel diseased

Misty01 Guest

Default wild neighbourhood squirrel diseased

Hey I have tried to contact my local wild life health officials but they don't seem very interested in our neighbourhood squirrel. I feel very bad fo it and it looks like it as squirrel pox. Please let me know if there is anything I should be doing to help out our neighbour hood friend. Here are some pictures of it. Should I be worried of this passing to our neighbourhood pets?

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Re: wild neighbourhood squirrel diseased

This looks like pox to me too, and domestic animals don't get it from squirrels (except rabbits). It looks like this poor animal is blinded by the lesions, Is there any way to capture it? Others on here have had experience with treating pox and may be able to help you save this baby.

Misty01 Guest

Thanks for your reply. I think it looks like squirrel pox, but the wildlife people keep telling me it can't be as it's a black squirrel and apperently they don't get it. My husband is going to try to capture it, but we haven't had luck with them both being around at the same time. It's good to hear this won't pass to our dogs and cats in our area, we were very worried about that!

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Misty01
    Thanks for your reply. I think it looks like squirrel pox, but the wildlife people keep telling me it can't be as it's a black squirrel and apperently they don't get it. My husband is going to try to capture it, but we haven't had luck with them both being around at the same time. It's good to hear this won't pass to our dogs and cats in our area, we were very worried about that!
    The black fur has nothing to do with whether or not it can get pox. Black squirrels like this one are simply what's called "melanistic" gray squirrels--same critter.

PBlueJay2 is right -- that is absolutely NOT true that black squirrels can't get pox. They are Eastern Grey Squirrels like every other grey squirrel, simply with black fur. Poor baby, he needs help NOW....
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

mindy65 Guest

I hope you can help this poor little squirrel. This is the very first time I have ever seen a black squirrel. Poor thing. Please do everything you can to catch him and help him. My heart is breaking until you do. Thanks for your concern and trying to help him. He looks awful. Please keep us posted. min

Adoresquirrels Guest

This poor baby looks awful, pox is soooo terrible. My heart just breaks for her,especially her eyes. I hope she can get some type of help soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.