Thread: Are you balding? Seriously?!

Exclamation Are you balding? Seriously?!

Preface: I have four chipmunks but this only deals with two of them. Two females were bought from the same place at 2 months old and kept together until just days ago. Before separating them I noticed that one, Luci, was lacking fur on one of her chipmunk-cheeks and a small spot on the side. I didn't think much of it then because the other female had been picking on her so I attributed it to scuffles. Then I moved Luci into her own home, yet the spotting has not stopped but persisted further. Now I'm getting a bit worried.

Problem: The skin itself is lacking in fur - but only that; there are no scars or wound marks, there doesn't appear to be swelling, and there aren't any visible parasites. The spotting itself is sparse, only in a few spots like the cheek, on a leg, the side, to make about 4 different small trouble areas. Luci has always been a scratcher, if that matters?

I've ruled out the idea of something contagious since the two females were kept together so long, and during the early symptoms, that if Luci was contagious the other would be sick by now for sure. The diet has been identical except for personal tastes - one I wonder if it is particularly important? Luci hates corn (she instead stuffs on sesame seeds), yet I know corn is important for their fur. The other female eats corn, and has a beautiful coat, so I thought perhaps it was that? I recently fed her two pieces of specially made chipmunk corn bread hoping that will help but I want other opinions. What is the deal with this chipmunk?!

PS: I can't take pictures now but I'll do so tomorrow so you can see for yourselves what it looks like.

Default Re: Are you balding? Seriously?!

Hi, I'm not a rehabber, and sorry to read that Luci is missing her fur, strange. I would have initially thought diet, but if they're all the same. I'm sure when you post a picture someone will know. Hey, I didn't know chipmunks could eat corn, I read somewhere it's not good for tree squirrels, I guess different for chipmunks? Look forward to the pictures.

All the best,
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Thank you for replying, Pointy Tale!
    I don't know about squirrels.. my only little darlings are Chipmunks and while they are in the squirrel family the species is different enough that I couldn't even begin to guess what works/does not work for a squirrel. But, so far as Chipmunks go, corn is a bit fattening so you do have to watch it, but it is only a case of everything in moderation. A little is good for their health, or so the books tell me;
    "Maize is rich in energy, too. A lot of rodents won't touch it or will just nibble at it. It is, however, healthy and part of a well balanced diet."
    {The Chipmunk, About Pets}

----------------------------

Still been watching Luci - I've noticed her fur trouble is symmetrical, whatever is going wrong on one side is happening similarly on the other side of her.

Sorry about the wait on the pictures everyone, but I couldn't find my camera cord right away. There are two front top views as she was snacking (only way to get her to hold still for pictures. Her fur might be weird but her activity levels or behavior hasn't changed a bit). The last photo is close up of the side of her. Her cheek is filled with snacks making it easier to see the lack of fur. Same further down her body, another bare spot. By the way, Luci's ears are from her naughty sis and that is why she moved into a big new place. I started worrying today when the girls were let out for a run and Mich just jumped on Luci. Perhaps stress is, if not the problem, a contributing factor? So my further plan is not to let them out together, at least for now. =(

ChipmunkLuver—Hi! Thanks for the corn explanation—awesome to know!

I see the pictures, sorry still no advice so I’m just writing here to bump your thread for the rehabbers, OK. I am sure the experts here will have some advice to share with you.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

Doesn't look there are any injuries to those areas so I would say its a combination of stress and perhaps Mich "pulling" the fur out when she "attacks" Luci.... I think we can rule out any unwelcome little critters in her fur as she is the only one who appears to have the problem. The only time I have seen anything like this in my lot is when Lily was being bullied which is what makes me think its stress etc. The only other thing that comes to mind is she is rubbing it out against something
    Growing old is inevitable.....Growing UP is optional

Hi, if it's stress, can you give Vetri-DMG to boost immune system? Just a random thought as I bump thread.
    —E
    she wouldn't say,
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

Thank you both very much for replying, and bumping!!

Yes Crazymunk, and that was what puzzled me the most. No scars, wounds, no swelling, nothing at all but no fur! Every book I read had one or two additional symptoms, and none had specifics on lost fur so I just felt more confused.

I think you're right, and it matches what's going on. Whenever I saw chases it was Luci being the one chased and there was often a squeal when she was caught, yet I never saw any injuries of a physical sort aside from the ears very early on. In addition Michy started to show aggressive behaviors - The very first day they were separated I let them out together so they knew they were still both there together, yet Michy jumped into Luci's cage and climbed into her nestbox to, in my mind, say she was still the boss of both boxes. Previously when they shared a cage she had chased Luci out of BOTH nestboxes. So, in a way, she was still trying to be dominant. That would stress anyone out to have such a nutter of a roommate. Now they are let out one at a time and only see each other is when climbing on the other's cage but they cannot get to each other. I'm trying to make sure Luci is comfortable and totally at ease in a big new place (Her home is twice the size of the old one they shared) and, that Michy does not act negatively toward her at all to minimize any stress. Would stress also explain why her spotting marks are symmetrical on both sides, Crazymunk? That has puzzled me as I've let her our and stared at her. She's always done crazy things - like rubbing her head against the water bottle repeatedly so it looked like a Mohawk on top of her head- but nothing ever detrimental like this.

The only thing I worry about, and wonder, is that about everyday for the past month+ the girls have been "chirping". Before it started getting darker early it happened around 5pm but now it's down to about 2:40 in the afternoon. Sometimes I hear one girl chirp and the other reply. I can't prevent it since all my chipmunks share an extra bedroom in the house (my old office) yet I don't want that to stress Luci.. I just hope Michy isn't talking trash

I haven't heard of Vetri-DMG, where can you find it and what is it? Currently I have kept Luci up on some Squirrel Vitamins from ExoticNutrition.com as she eats that as is rather than sprinkled over anything (weird little love, my favorite but don't tell the other chips!), their main diet is a modified recipe of Henry's Healthy Blocks I make myself but Luci has been given an emergency recipe packed with corn for the past few days as I hoped it would help her fur, and they also have a cabinet of fruits, grains, yogurt, etc. I've tried keeping her from seeds & grains other than corn to encourage her to eat it. I'm comforted that only her appearance and never her behavior has changed. She's still inquisitive and getting into trouble, still climbs all over me and STILL attempts to break into the food cabinet to get her preferred snacks so I take it as a good sign.

I take it you mean ..CHIPPING....like this...

http://s65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...t=DSCN0453.flv

On this occasion it was used as an alarm call...In females it could mean BOYS I'M OVER HERE

The Chipping in the video went on for half a bloody hour!!!!!!! NONE STOP

Yes, chipping =) Oh gosh, I've listened to outdoor animals and they never stop when they want it! The most humorous irony of all was watching a female chirp, then lay down. She looked lethargic and I thought she was sick, so I called my father over to take a look. Another chipmunk runs along and I say, "Oh no, I hope that one doesn't attack the poor sick chip!" But he mounted her instead. Very awkward moment.

Since it was my females I thought it was mating calls, yet I've listened to the outdoor girls call their men-folk this past summer and that was very quick and without stop while my indoor pets do one chip and then wait seconds or an entire minute before doing another. It doesn't seem fast enough to be a mating call, so I wonder if they are just practicing (since they are not quite old enough to mate anyway) or if they're communicating back and forth (since one will chip and the other girl will do a return chip sometimes). I just don't want any more stress if that is what's causing her hair loss. I'm trying to minimize all stress on Luci, which went well today. She was let out twice and behaved normally.

Anyone know if there are any foods that are particularly stress reducing to squirrels? Or any other things that can be done to reduce stress?? I'd love to do something to help my favorite girl out.

You could try some BACH FLOWER RESCUE REMEDY in her drinking water.. We've used it on Ratties with no problem...

Thank You for Your Order. Please print this receipt for your records.

Just ordered their small bottle of liquid Rescue Remedy after reading up on it. (= Thank you, Crazymunk! Hey, how much do you apply for your chipmunk per oz of water (if dosing a singular under 1 year female Chipmunk)? I checked it out and figured if nothing else it cannot do any harm but relax her.

Another user suggested through PM that perhaps she had Ringworm; you don't think applying a topical cream for that and adding the Rescue Remedy for stress will do more harm than good when combined?

Ringworm as far as I know is very contagious so I would say no...I could be wrong but I personally don't think it is try googling ringworm and have a look...It doesn't look like it I would think 4 drops of Bach in a bottle of water would be fine