Thread: Palm Tree Fruit okay?

Hybrid View

SquirreLee Guest

Default Palm Tree Fruit okay?

My co-worker brought me some small orange round fruit that falls from her palm tree and that she says she sees squirrels eating. I want to make sure it's okay for them to eat before I give them to my captive squirrels. Anyone out there familiar with this fruit? It does start to ferment as well. Appreciate any help.

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Default Re: Palm Tree Fruit okay?

Quote Originally Posted by SquirreLee
    My co-worker brought me some small orange round fruit that falls from her palm tree and that she says she sees squirrels eating. I want to make sure it's okay for them to eat before I give them to my captive squirrels. Anyone out there familiar with this fruit? It does start to ferment as well. Appreciate any help.
    Hi..
    Are they the little like the size of a Pea?
    And come in clusters of 100's..
    If this is ..Ive given them to my inside boy..
    But to be on the safe side..can you take a picture of it..please and post a pic?

About the size of a large Bing cherry? Yellow-orangey in color, with a strong smell of peaches/mango? These are fruits of the Pindo Palm (also called "jelly palm" because you can make jelly from the fruit). This is the season for them. They are edible by humans and squirrels alike. You can take a tiny taste to make sure; quite delicious actually.

Name:  pindo_fruit_op_450x600.jpg
Views: 21840
Size:  41.0 KB
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SquirreLee

I'm sure many palm fruits are edible, but I just want to add the caution that you need to be sure of what you have because some, like the Sago (or is it Sable) palm are poisonous.

SquirreLee Guest

They are about the size of cherries and look exactly like the picture posted. I feel better now in letting my squirrels give them a try. Thanks!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.