Thread: Vitamin K and Nutella Questions

Default Vitamin K and Nutella Questions

Follow-up question on the Vitamin K for the blocks. A local store has tablets of Vit K as phytonadione. Should I not use this?

And since some have mentioned it, is Nutella ok to use in the blocks?

Thank you as always!!!

Default Re: Vitamin K and Nutella Questions

Quote Originally Posted by mainemargaret
    Follow-up question on the Vitamin K for the blocks. A local store has tablets of Vit K as phytonadione. Should I not use this?

And since some have mentioned it, is Nutella ok to use in the blocks?

Thank you as always!!!
    Phytonadione is okay; it's just another name used for the same chemical (why do they do that?)

Nutella is "okay" but not ideal. It has sugar, so the blocks would have a much higher glycemic load and we try to avoid that with captive squirrels because of the risk of diabetes when fed over a lifetime. With their lower activity levels, pet squirrels are less able to metabolize high-energy foods like sugars and starches. HOWEVER, if you have a squirrel that will not eat any kind of block, even HHB, then it's better for them to eat Nutella blocks than no blocks at all. In that case, start with a recipe they will eat, then try to gradually reduce the Nutella or whatever over time until they're eating the blocks plain, or as close as you can get.

Hope this helps.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Quote Originally Posted by 4skwerlz
    Phytonadione is okay; it's just another name used for the same chemical (why do they do that?)

Nutella is "okay" but not ideal. It has sugar, so the blocks would have a much higher glycemic load and we try to avoid that with captive squirrels because of the risk of diabetes when fed over a lifetime. With their lower activity levels, pet squirrels are less able to metabolize high-energy foods like sugars and starches. HOWEVER, if you have a squirrel that will not eat any kind of block, even HHB, then it's better for them to eat Nutella blocks than no blocks at all. In that case, start with a recipe they will eat, then try to gradually reduce the Nutella or whatever over time until they're eating the blocks plain, or as close as you can get.

Hope this helps.
    I am going to make a batch with avacodo today if time allows...let you know what they think...I may need a helmet and sheild, but it's worth a try...they love avacodo!
    I did make them with Nutella...they liked them better than any before!

Thanks 4S! I make the blocks for my wild buddies. Some love them, some won't touch them, so maybe I'll try a little Nutella in a batch.

And this reminds me that you were thinking of posting a wild bites recipe at some point, after some reviews came in. I'd still be interested in that.

Oh my gosh, I can't believe this question came up!

Cocoa recently discovered Nutella

4skwerlz, do you need a spokessquirrel?

Name:  IMG_0313_mini.jpg
Views: 3268
Size:  79.6 KB

LoooooLLLLLLLLL

That was sooo cute!!

Quote Originally Posted by MiriamS
    Oh my gosh, I can't believe this question came up!

Cocoa recently discovered Nutella

4skwerlz, do you need a spokessquirrel?

Name:  IMG_0313_mini.jpg
Views: 3268
Size:  79.6 KB

Open your heart,
    And push the limits..
    (Enigma)

Watch Mia nut hunting from water
    Online-Property-Shop