Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Broken ankle on flying squirrel.

oldsoldier Guest

Default Broken ankle on flying squirrel.

This afternoon a black rat snake climbed one of the columns on our porch, crawled 6 feet on a one inch ledge and got to our flying squirrel's cage. For some reason, Angus came out of his nesting box and the snake managed to break his right hind ankle. There is no open wound, no bleeding but his back foot is just flopping uselessly! I called every veterinarian in the area and finally reached one but he can't see him until tomorrow afternoon. He isn't optimistic!
    I have him in a small dark box to try to keep him as immobile as possible and his appetite doesn't seem to be affected. He allowed me to take him out of his cage and has his usual sweet disposition but I am worried sick! Some of you helped me when I found him orphaned last October and we made it through getting fur, opening his eyes, weaning and learning to "fly." Any suggestions?
    Joel

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Wink Re: Broken ankle on flying squirrel.

Some one will be on shortly..hold tight...Joel..

Default Re: Broken ankle on flying squirrel.

Joel, where in Georgia are you? Do you have a good vet by you? I am just outside (south of)Jacksonville, FL. Have excellent vets here, even Exotic vets; I am sure one can help your little flyer. I had a vet here pin the broken leg of a pet mouse! About the same size as a flyer.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Thanks Anne for responding, I was just about to put out some feelers to see if I could get someone to respond thanks, sure hope we can get this little one some help.

oldsoldier Guest

Anne... thanks for being there! I am in south central Ga- about sixteen miles south of Griffin. There are no vets here who work with really small animals and most don't want to work with wildlife (I don't mean that in a derogatory sense - it just isn't their area of expertise). This little guy is as important to me as a child and even now after all of this he is calm and is taking water and food. I'll do whatever I have to do to help him but the one vet in our area who even agreed to look at him said he doesn't have much of a chance and he can only assess and try to get me in contact with one of the universities.
    Joel

Joel I am NO expert but always seek second opinions, don't ever underestimate these little guys, they can be very strong and resiliant. I know we can pull together and get you the help you need one way or the other

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Hey Joel, good idea quiet and dark and small..can you get a pic?
    Heat will make him comfortable, and of course treats.
    Hydration is key here, make sure he is getting lots of fluids.
    I would advise plan B on the vet, it's a broken ankle, not a neck for crying out loud!
    The problem with splints and bandages, they chew...if you attempt to do this yourself you will need an e collar.
    Not sure on Georgia laws and flyers, ck it out first, seeing how he was a wild orginally...be careful.
    Pic may help...do you have any meds?
    Dang black snakes! Can't live with them , can't live without them!

Joel I'd go with Jackie's Dark, Warm and Quiet advice since he may be a little shocky from the injury. FLuids are an absolute must...water or Pedialyte if he prefers flavor.....definitely see the vet tomorrow to assess the nature of the break.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Squirrels are illegal in Ga, and unless you have a vet you can trust, they will "confiscate" your squirrel. If you are this close to FL, you ca see a vet here without any problems. Anne and I know a VERY competent vet in Jax. Expensive, but she is GOOD. Island Rehabber has good advise here= keep quiet and warm until morning and then go from there and we can help you get the care you need. Keep your baby warm and quiet tonight. There's not much we can do this evening, but ASAP tomorrow, she needs to see a vet. Please get some rest and get ready for tomorrow as it will be a busy day. How far are you fom jacksonville?
    [I]An ambassador for squirrels everywhere.[/I]

oldsoldier Guest

Thanks for the help Folks! I kept him with me all night "in confinement"... kept giving water (expected him to be thirsty and he was) and food (he ALWAYS has a good appetite). When he is just sitting still he looks fine - it's only when he is moving about that you see any problem! He has been very content to just sit and be petted so that is the route I opted for. Tried the "Just Answer" website and paid for the advice which was what I was already doing but at least I felt better knowing I tried!
    I know they are illegal as pets in GA but as a 66 year old retired combat veteran I couldn't give a damn less about a government that would have me leave a helpless infant out or turn it over to a government agency. ( The last time we did that it was with a Cooper's Hawk I found here on the farm with a broken wing - they promptly euthanized him and I promptly wrote government off as an answer!)
    Sorry, I get carried away...
    Joel

Joel as a vet you're already my hero but today you're my Hero of the Day! Keep us posted on how the little guy is doing, OK?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I googled and can see that you are 288 miles from Orange Park. Not to far for a beloved pet I-75 to I-10 and you are here You are just a bit west of Macon. We really have an excellent vet here and I can't see any problem except distance with getting that ankle getting treatment I am going to PM you my phone number, you can call me any time. Let me know if there is any thing I can do to help.
    Anne
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Sorry your boy is injured. You are getting lots of good help from TSB...way to go folks. This boy can have a very good outcome so don't lose hope. I know you are very conserned and worried....good Poppa!!!!

I have a grey squirrel with a broken ankle. He is better now..... This is what I did....

The vet splinted his entire back leg...it lasted for about 5 days with me re wrapping it every night. The vet had him on pain meds for 4 days but wouldn't x-ray him.... the vet wasn't very positive. Told me "this is bad"....and shook her head. I left with my boy wrapped up...no matter what the vet said.

I took him to my regular vet and he x-rayed his foot, said it was dislocated and fractured. He took off the splint (foot was floppy) and told me to wait and see.
    So I kept my boy in a small rubbermade container so he couldn't climb and hurt him self more. Toby stayed in his sleepy sack for 3 days, he was in pain but he ate and drank from his sack.
    Toby slowley recovered with cage (container) rest and confinment. He is now using his foot but his ankle is kinda stiff. He can climb and hold on with his toes and gets around just as fast as he did before his accident.
    I plan on releasing him in the next few weeks.
    Animals can heal just fine in the wild with no human intervention, but as your pet I know you want to help him as much as you can.

So don't loose hope....

Best wishes for you and your little guy
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Joel- Best wishes to you and your flyer. I hope your little friend gets the treatment he needs + recovers well and quickly. Everyone here is so fast to offer up advice and assistance - it's wonderful.

oldsoldier Guest

Update on Angus. I had a really great local vet check him out - Angus was really good and allowed the vet to see and palpate - and his belief is that he will probably lose the foot. The bone, at the ankle, is crushed where Angus thrashed about when the snake got hold of his foot. He (the vet) wants to see him on Friday and amputate if necessary. My job is to keep him as quiet as possible - which is pretty easy since he sits still to be petted and he can never get enough of that. Thanks to all of you for your kindness and concern.
    Joel

Thanks for the update and I'm estatic you found a vet to take him to that you can trust. I have a 3 legged grey squirrel and he's a happy boy, I'm sure your little guy will do fine with 3 legs. Now he gets extra attention from daddy!! Please let us know how it goes with your little one!
    [I]An ambassador for squirrels everywhere.[/I]

Unhappy Re: Broken ankle on flying squirrel.

Joel, I have been without internet since this morning. I couldn't get here to check up on you two. So glad to hear the good news. At the same time I am so sorry that your baby will lose his leg. He'll be much happier at home with you.
    The best is that you have found TSB, hope you stay and let all of us know how every thing turns out. Prayers for a quick recovery
    Anne

George Bernard Shaw

I'm just catching up with this thread. I know how hard it is to see your baby hurt (my Henry broke his arm badly last year, but recovered and is fine now). As others have said, we've got quite a few three-legged squirrels here on TSB, and they're all fine and happy.

BTW, thank you for your service to our country. I really appreciate it.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Hello Joel, I too have a three legged grey sq!http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...t=sarah+legged

Sarah also had crushed bones , resulting in amputation.
    Does the vet have your flyer on meds?
    I would give lot's of hydration, heat and good nutrition...I would even offer esbilac or formula,no matter how long it's been, at least some yogurt!
    ..were you planning on releasing Angus?

Buddy'sMom Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.