Petrie is now 5-6 weeks old and doing great. His eyes are open, he's active, and he has a big healthy appetite. I am currently giving him 5.5ccs of esbilac (the powdered kind) 4x a day (nothing overnight) which seems to sustain him very well. When he's old enough, I am going to release him back into the wild but had a couple questions about nutrition...
- I noticed today that he picked a little bread crumb off my shirt (had just eaten lunch!) and sat up like a grown squirrel would do and ate it. When can I start offering him solid foods and what kind should I offer first?
- Since he is going to be released, should I only feed him "natural" wild foods? Berries, these big nut things that fall of the trees around here that the squirrels LOVE, er... what else?
- How long should I keep him on the esbilac? Hopefully as long as possible because it seems like a great way to get good nutrition into him, but I don't want it to hurt him in the long run.
- Should I start putting branches, sea shells, etc in his cage to teeth on?
- When should I put a "rodent block" in his cage? Is this something I can get at a pet store?
Thanks!! I know that these questions have probably been answered before but my internet is SO slow and it takes forever to go through all the threads. Just want to do the best for my little guy.