Thread: Taming, potty training and feeding baby squirrels

Default Taming, potty training and feeding baby squirrels

I recently took in a baby squirrel, he fell out onto a busy road from a very high nest along with his brother. Unfortunately his brother was already dead when my boyfriend found them. He has been under my care for the past 2 and a half weeks now and has been getting quite big. So here are some of my questions: oh and he is about 4 weeks old....he has quite a bit of fur and his bottom teeth have errupted, but eyes are still shut.

1) I recently purchased the powdered esbilac to feed him but I find that the texture is MUCH different from the liquid. It seems to seperate from the water when I warm it up (I don't use the microwave, I use hot water contact). And it smells quite.... untasty. I add a little bit of organic live cultured yogurt in it. But my squirrel doesn't seem to enjoy eating it very much. I also sometimes add in some applejuice (homemade....take an apple, mush it up, squeezed the juice out with a clean new cheesecloth) and he seems to enjoy this much better. should I use applejuice in every feeding? How do I solve the problem with the powder seperating?

2) He is VERY squirmy and makes weird grunting noises when I am feeding him or stimulating him to go potty, is this normal? He also sneezes sometimes and I am afraid he might be getting sick. I know if he sneezes when feeding this is due to aspiration, but he sneezes sometimes just normally. It's not that often but I have noticed it. There is no wheezing of the breath though and no clicking noises when he breathes.

3) How do you tame the squirrel? How many hours per day should you spend bonding with it? Once they reach sexual maturity will they just become wild and want to go outside?

Default Re: Taming, potty training and feeding baby squirrels

Quote Originally Posted by littlesquirt
    I recently took in a baby squirrel, he fell out onto a busy road from a very high nest along with his brother. Unfortunately his brother was already dead when my boyfriend found them. He has been under my care for the past 2 and a half weeks now and has been getting quite big. So here are some of my questions: oh and he is about 4 weeks old....he has quite a bit of fur and his bottom teeth have errupted, but eyes are still shut.

1) I recently purchased the powdered esbilac to feed him but I find that the texture is MUCH different from the liquid. It seems to seperate from the water when I warm it up (I don't use the microwave, I use hot water contact). And it smells quite.... untasty. I add a little bit of organic live cultured yogurt in it. But my squirrel doesn't seem to enjoy eating it very much. I also sometimes add in some applejuice (homemade....take an apple, mush it up, squeezed the juice out with a clean new cheesecloth) and he seems to enjoy this much better. should I use applejuice in every feeding? How do I solve the problem with the powder seperating?

2) He is VERY squirmy and makes weird grunting noises when I am feeding him or stimulating him to go potty, is this normal? He also sneezes sometimes and I am afraid he might be getting sick. I know if he sneezes when feeding this is due to aspiration, but he sneezes sometimes just normally. It's not that often but I have noticed it. There is no wheezing of the breath though and no clicking noises when he breathes.

3) How do you tame the squirrel? How many hours per day should you spend bonding with it? Once they reach sexual maturity will they just become wild and want to go outside?
    littlesquirt—Thank you so much for saving this little one—what a horrible experience to have seen him and his brother on a busy road.

First—Never Feed a Cold Baby.
    Second—Keep the Baby warm in some fleece or a t—shirt, something snuggly.
    Third—Has he been going to the bathroom?

IMO, I'm not sure a squirrel can be tame and have heard they do not make good pets, but have no experience either way myself.

I am not a rehabber, but I am sure on will be on shortly to help you, so in the meantime, you may want to look at the following thread:

The Squirrel Board > Help Needed! > Emergency (Life Threatening) Help Needed > I FOUND A BABY SQUIRREL, NOW WHAT??
    —E
    “Why she Had to go I don't know,
    she wouldn't say,
    now I long for yesterday."
    —Pointy Tail 03/17/09—

"He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his LIFE, his LOVE, his LEADER. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion"—Unknown
    Handle every stressful situation like a dog. If you can't eat it or play with it, pee on it and walk away.

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by littlesquirt

You need to use VERY warm water with the powdered Esbilac to get it to mix. Warm the water first and add it to the Esbilac, stir thoroughly. Sometimes "globs" of fat or small clumps of formula will be on the surface. You can mash these with a spoon. His formula should be fairly warm (not hot) when you feed him. I wouldn't mix apple juice with it either

They sometimes sniff and sneeze a little. Is there ever formula coming out of his nose when he does so? If so, you need to slow down a bit on the rate you give him the formula. Squirming abd grunting (especially when stimulating) is natural. It's how they work the poops out.

It all depends on the squirrel. If you're intent on keeping him as a pet, he will need a lot of attention--petting, playing. Squirrels can't be put in a cage for 23 hours a day and let out only one for playtime. Theyll be miserable and unhealthy. It's a real commitment to "own" one. Even with all you best efforts, however, there may come a time when he starts acting wild--biting, restlessness, and so forth. He might be telling you he's ready to be a squirrel.

I think the Esbilac powder just does that. I know it does for me as well. I just stir it occasionally as I am refilling a syringe. I am not sure about the apple juice....I would be afraid too much or too often would cause diarrhea. I know you aren't supposed to feed large amounts of apple, probably for the same reason. But I am sure our rehabbers will be on shortly and they would have the correct answer for that. As far as taming: are you planning to keep the squirrel as a pet? All of mine are readied for release, so even though I DO spend time with them cuddling and loving them, I don't go overboard with it. I have 5 6 week olds that are apparently LOVING the reaction they get when they nip at me (and they do, from time to time, which for me is a good thing, and I expect them to "wild up" shortly, preparing for release). I know there are a lot of people on this board that DO have squirrels as pets, and if that is your intention, they will have lots of advice for you on how they did it. Good luck with your little one!!!