Thread: How do I capture wild injured squirrel?

SquirreLee Guest

Default How do I capture wild injured squirrel?

About 8 months ago, we noticed an injured squirrel in our back yard. Looks like maybe a failed hawk attack. Her left eye is missing, her left front leg had a wound on the underside and it looks like her jaw is a bit askew. Being new to squirrels and not sure how I could ever capture, I started putting food out every morning to help her survive and have ever since. We keep binoculars at the ready and always look out for her. She doesn't show every day but when she does, we look at her to see how she is doing. She has survived 8 months already so that says something for sure about her tenacity. She's learned to be more cautious with just one eye and her leg, although not 100%functional, does well. Our concern is her mouth and bottom teeth. It looks like she may not be able to keep her teeth ground down and it may be hitting her upper moth cause one side is swollen. So, my question is should I attempt to capture her and take her to the vet? I don't want to scare her away from her food source which is surely keeping her going but I dread the day she doesn't come back anymore. If I should try to capture her, what is the best way?

Default Re: How do I capture wild injured squirrel?

hi SquirreLee, and to The Squirrel Board! Unfortunately it sounds as if you have a maloccluded squirrel there -- her teeth are not aligned properly or have been damaged or lost, and so she can't keep them ground down the way they should be. Malocclusion in a wild squirrel is a slow death sentence....the teeth can pierce the upper palate and actually hit the brain, or upper teeth may curve down into the throat. If you want to spare her this misery, you should use a HavAHeart trap and get her. Once you've trapped her COVER THE TRAP as quickly as you can and keep her in a dark, warm quiet place before you get her to the vet. We can help you through this -- and thankfully, you are in a state where there are not only vets who are willing to treat squirrels but at least one of our excellent Florida rehabbers lives in Jacksonville If this squirrel's malocclusion is permanent she will need a forever home where her teeth can be clipped every few weeks.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

If we could somehow trap her there is for sure somebody that would take her. Is that a possibility SL? I will help anyway I can, I'm about an hour away from Jax. I work Fulltime, but I will do whatever I can to help. I have never tried to trap a wild, so sorry I'm of litttle help in that department. maybe a large bird cage with some nuts/peanut butter in it would be a start. You would have to watch it pretty regular and wait. I'm sure somebody can add to this, Plenty on here have done this in the past. Welcome to SB and Bless you for trying and caring
    Life is not measured by how many breaths we take
    But by the Moments that take our breath away
    They Call me….Miss Ellie MaeJ

Simba as a baby
    Click the picture for a short video tribute.

Squirrellee, Hi, my name is Anne and I am a state licensed wildlife rehabber. I live in Orange Park and have several vets that treat my squirrels. I don't have a trap yet, but know where I can buy one, if necessary. I will be glad to treat the squirrel, take her to my vet also, if she can be caught.
    my email address: wildlifeandsquirrelrescue@gmail.com or you can use -snicklemom@gmail.com. If you email me I can give you my phone number and we can make plans for this squirrel. For caring about her and wanting the best for her.
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

SquirreLee Guest

Thank you all for your support. It's scary trying to capture her but I am going to give it a try. I will pick up the proper trap this weekend and give it a shot next week. I'll contact a rehabber once I capture her. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I would not wait another week to trap her. If there is already swelling then the teeth have already punctured a hole, infection can kill her. Also she may not be able to eat, if she grows weak she will not come back for food and you will not be able to catch her.

SquirreLee Guest

Okay, very long overdue update. Took 2 weeks to capture our girl. She has been with rehabber Anne for two weeks now and being cared for. Most likely she will not be releasable so we are building a cage outside for her and will bring her back home with us to care for her. I sure hope as a wild squirrel, she will tame up over time. Thanks to everyone for help and especially Chaz and Anne, lifesavers!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.