Thread: Badly Injured Chipmunck

Default Badly Injured Chipmunck

I am hoping someone can help me. I have a badly injured chippy that I think might have escaped a cat. It has severe injury to it's hind end...I think it is unable to move them. I am going to try and trap it but before I do I need a little information so I am ready for this little guy. I know it must have an infection because it is being swarmed by flies, it has been eating. I know to keep it in a warm, dark quiet place but I am not a rehabber and I know a vet will not treat it. Can anyone advise if there is a rehabber in my area to help me help this little guy....or at least make it as comfortable as possible. I am on Long Island. Thanks

PBluejay2 Guest

Default Re: Badly Injured Chipmunck

The Chippy will need antibiotics (and a rehabber) for certain. Island Rehabber may be able to help as soon as she sees this.

OK..I am here awaiting...thanks...Any suggetions on how to grab this little one....or just wrap it in a towel and try to scoop???

PBluejay2 Guest

It depends on how impaired it is. If you can get close enough to it with a towel, that might work, but you may get only one chance at it. A net would be better. I have no idea where IR is, but she'll be here. Until then, if you can catch it, do so, and keep it warm and quiet.

How is this baby doing? You can email me at nmognoni@nycap.rr.com I am also in New York and may be able to help. I will also PM you....

Unfortunately, I was unable to grab it, the little one went in it's hole. I spent all day looking for it but that was the last time I saw it. It was in really bad shape, I hope it didn't suffer. It makes me angry that cat owners that allow their animals to roam outside don't realize what damage a cat can do to other animals.

Barbara...thanks for the update and the email, there are many on here that were concerned about that little one. You have my email if you ever run into a problem again, I can at the very least, find someone for you that may be closer.
    Thanks so much for caring and trying to get that little one...

whopoopwrasse Guest

Quote Originally Posted by prncsbabs1
    It makes me angry that cat owners that allow their animals to roam outside don't realize what damage a cat can do to other animals.
    Some cat AND dog owners think it's funny believe it or not!

and some are proud!

Quote Originally Posted by whopoopwrasse
    Some cat AND dog owners think it's funny believe it or not!

and some are proud!
    I've met some of them. Needless to say, they aren't my friends.

My wife and I love to read the stories here, the successes and the losses both for we find you all are such kindred spirits. People with hearts so big that no animal, no matter how small, can escape your reach.

It's difficult to care so much, difficult to take on the task of caring for a lost, orphaned or injured animal. And even more difficult is facing the fact that not all can be saved.

I too feel anger for those that can turn away from the plight of the wee ones or that find enjoyment in their suffering. But at the same time I pity them for they will never know the awesome and overpowering feeling that comes from holding and feeding a pinky. Or the reward one receives from comforting and providing shelter and care for those that are injured or sick.

They'll never know...but you do and I do.