Thread: Newbie Mom- formula questions!

Question Newbie Mom- formula questions!

I’m a new Eastern Grey mama- I’m thinking he’s about 3 weeks old (eyes closed, bald belly, no teeth, some hair). I’ve been feeding him Petlac formula (1 part powder, 2 parts water) for two weeks. I’m now reading I should add heavy whipping cream (1/4 part).

Is this the right formula? Do I need to switch formulas once his eyes open? Should I be using Fox Valley instead? There are so many posts to read through, I’m getting confused.

I think he’s doing well. He’s got a round belly and poops after every feeding (sometimes solid, sometimes soft, but never loose. And if it is just a tiny bit loose, it’s not consistent; his next poop is formed.

Default Re: Newbie Mom- formula questions!

Quote Originally Posted by tkh21484 View Post
    I’m a new Eastern Grey mama- I’m thinking he’s about 3 weeks old (eyes closed, bald belly, no teeth, some hair). I’ve been feeding him Petlac formula (1 part powder, 2 parts water) for two weeks. I’m now reading I should add heavy whipping cream (1/4 part).
    Is this the right formula? Do I need to switch formulas once his eyes open? Should I be using Fox Valley instead? There are so many posts to read through, I’m getting confused.
    I think he’s doing well. He’s got a round belly and poops after every feeding (sometimes solid, sometimes soft, but never loose. And if it is just a tiny bit loose, it’s not consistent; his next poop is formed.
    Petlac is the wrong formula, does not have the proper nutrition and will cause digestive issues.
    Adding heavy whipping cream will not improve it and will likely add to the soft bowels.
    Esbilac puppy formula by PetAg is the correct over the counter recommendation. (Always powdered)
    Fox Valley 20/50 is recommended once 4 weeks, (eyes open at 5) but I would not recommend waiting/continuing with the Petlac.

With soft bowel or diarrhea hydration is lost and extra hydration offered in-between regular feedings is recommended.
    Do you know your baby's weight and are you feeding within the recommended 5-7%? How much, how often?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

CritterLover (08-09-2022)

Thank you so much for your help. I ordered Esbilac powder last night from Amazon (with the probiotic banner). It should be here Wednesday. I’ll give supplemental water between feedings until then. I’ve been feeding him 3mls (2ml formula, 1ml water) every 3 hours.

I have not weighed him yet. But that’s next on my list. Again, thank you so much.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tkh21484 from:

stepnstone (07-26-2022)

Also I just want to add that his stools have been formed. There might have been one or two episodes since I’ve had him for two weeks where a little tiny bit of watery stool came out. But it was always followed up with formed stool. I don’t think dehydration is an issue. But I also don’t think constipation is an issue either. His stools seem to be very very regular and normal. He poops a lot and has no issue going.

I had used that brand a couple of years ago when I suddenly couldn't find Esbilac ANYWHERE. It seemed fine for a couple of weeks, but then the squirrels health started to decline. I added calcium powder to the Esbilac (bought the right stuff as soon as I could find it!) and they returned to normal. Sometimes these little guys are really tough, they so badly want to survive, but after a point their little bodies can't keep running on the wrong fuel. I see that you are in FL, if I can help lmk?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to KCullen from:

Quote Originally Posted by KCullen View Post
    I had used that brand a couple of years ago when I suddenly couldn't find Esbilac ANYWHERE. It seemed fine for a couple of weeks, but then the squirrels health started to decline. I added calcium powder to the Esbilac (bought the right stuff as soon as I could find it!) and they returned to normal. Sometimes these little guys are really tough, they so badly want to survive, but after a point their little bodies can't keep running on the wrong fuel. I see that you are in FL, if I can help lmk?
    I should receive the Esbilac today/tonight from Amazon. What kind of calcium powder did you use? And did you add it to the Petlac or the Esbilac? What’s your opinion on adding heavy whipping cream?

Thank you so so much in advance!

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to tkh21484 from:

Quote Originally Posted by tkh21484 View Post
    I should receive the Esbilac today/tonight from Amazon. What kind of calcium powder did you use? And did you add it to the Petlac or the Esbilac? What’s your opinion on adding heavy whipping cream?

Thank you so so much in advance!
    You shouldn't need to add any calcium to the Esbilac. There was a problem with it in 2019 that has been resolved.

Never do an abrupt switch of formula - ease them into it. Mix up two batches - one of each formula, and add those together for feeding. Start with 3/4 petlac and 1/4 esbilac, the next day do half and half, the day after that do 1/4 petlac and 3/4 esbilac and day 4 you can do the straight esbilac. Once everything looks good with that you can add some whipping cream if you wish - again starting with small amounts and working your way up to a little more.

ALL formula powders should be stored in the freezer.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Hi I don’t know how to start a new post. Found a baby squirrel under a tree next to a stiff sibling. Brought him home warmed him up and checked him. Gave him water and agave to hydrate, then some electrolyte powder and water (it had artificial sweetener which I read is bad after the fact. Immediately discontinued) then started him on Esbilac powder water and a little agave. He’s been on that for 6 days since I found him. At first he had watery stools, then hardened to pellets now back to diarrhea.

Been feeding him every 2-4 hours by weight 5-7% of his current weight.

He’s about 5 weeks as his eyes just opened yesterday. He’s a little shakey but I don’t think he has a UTI as there isn’t really any smell to his urine and it’s clear.

I’m going to avoid feeding him formula for the next few feedings and just go back to hydration at feeding times.

Have the half heating pad set up with the towels and the lockable plastic box with holed lid. He’s a grey squirrel (NJ).

What can I do to stop the diarrhea? He’s been doing good with eating and only had one instance of sneezing out the milk (held him upside down and let him sneeze it all out).

You can give him a couple drops of pepto bismal for the diarrhea. It may temporarily turn the stool black as it passes through. Hydration is good with diarrhea, add a little salt and agave to the water. The electrolytes in the salt will help his hydration.

It sounds like everything you’re doing is correct……You’ve got the correct formula (powdered Esbilac), feeding between 5-7% of his weight, warmed and hydrated him first. Is there any awful smell to his poop?

Make any increases to his formula intake slowly. Too much at any one time can tip the scale and cause loose stool. Once you resume formula feedings you can hydrate in between his normal feeding times.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    You can give him a couple drops of pepto bismal for the diarrhea. It may temporarily turn the stool black as it passes through. Hydration is good with diarrhea, add a little salt and agave to the water. The electrolytes in the salt will help his hydration.

It sounds like everything you’re doing is correct……You’ve got the correct formula (powdered Esbilac), feeding between 5-7% of his weight, warmed and hydrated him first. Is there any awful smell to his poop?

Make any increases to his formula intake slowly. Too much at any one time can tip the scale and cause loose stool. Once you resume formula feedings you can hydrate in between his normal feeding times.
    Thank you. I will give him a few drops of pepto tonight.

As far as smell to his stool it smells like human baby diarrhea and is gritty brownish yellow.

Is it normal for him to be a little shakey when he’s moving around? Urine is typically clear throughout the day and in the mornings a little more yellow.

He’s also wanted to stand on his hind legs while feeding opposed to in the baby burrito tilted downwards. Is that normal. Sorry for the basic questions. I’m trying to do as much research as possible but still have questions.