Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Might need LOTS of squirrel help tomorrow

Default Might need LOTS of squirrel help tomorrow

I just received a call from one of our local tree surgeons. Seems that tomorrow they have a large job to do, and after doing surveillance today, counted approx. 40 squirrel nests in the trees that are coming down tomorrow. He does not know if the nests are active or not, but was just giving me a heads up and asked if I was still interested in taking any babies he finds. I doubt all 40 nests are active, but if they all are, and if each had 3 babies, theoretically I would end up with 120 babies tomorrow. Yeah, can't do that many. This is where all of ya'll come in. If I do end up with a massive influx of babies, is anyone out there interested in taking any? Probably the MOST I could handle would be 6-8. Also, he found a den of baby raccoons (eyes closed) today, that would also have to go. I haven't had a baby raccoon since I was a teenager. Anyway, just getting the word out that I may need some SERIOUS help. If I do end up with a lot of babies, please let me know if you think you would be able to take any. I will make arrangements to transport if necessary. Thanks in advance!!!
    Liz

By the way, I am in North Florida. Thanks

Default Re: Might need LOTS of squirrel help tomorrow

All of the action happens in Florida!!

I wish I could help... good luck tomorrow, you'll be in my prayers!!

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

Thanks. I already have extra heating pads lined up and extra cages. This should be interesting. If I am lucky, NO babies will be displaced tomorrow, but the guy said he did see several squirrels that looked like they may be nursing in the area. And as for raccoons, WHAT DO I DO WITH RACCOONS? Do they drink Esbilac as well? Or do they drink kitten formula? I have plenty of syringes and Esbilac, but if I end up with raccoon babies, I don't know what they eat. Hellp!!!

I'll be around, Lizh. Call me if you need me. I could probably handle 6, maybe? Also, you might call Uncle Donald's farm, Weirsdale or Leesburg, I think. I was told that they do some squirrel rehabbing.

Hoping there's really not that many on the way in tomorrow!
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Shanon, I hope not either!!! 6 or 8 I could handle, but 120? Let's get serious here. I do require at least 15 minutes of sleep per night!!! Thanks for letting me know you are available!!! You are a GREAT squirrel mommy? Think we could talk Sophie into taking a couple?

jbillings Guest

I would love to help, but I think I'm a good 3 hours away from you, and I am not a licensed rehabber. Please let me know if there is anything that I could do for you that just a little nobody like myself can do

jbillings....we aren't licensed either. Just will to be squammies to some babies until it's time to be free!

Shanon, Squammy to...

No need to be licensed here. Just love these little guys until they can go out on their own. So ANY help will be appreciated, if necessary!!! I think at this point, if you own a heating pad, a box and a syringe with a nipple on the end, you are MORE than qualified!!!!! Oh, and LOTS of Esbilac!!!

jbillings Guest

Me too . Just let me know how I can help and I'll make arrangements. Anything for our outdoor friends

At a quick glance, you two are only around 2 hours apart. Maybe you can meet halfway if the need arises?

PM Anne in Jacksonville....she just got licensed, so if you get hurt ones, she's a good contact.

Maybe Digi could take a few, too???
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Thanks, everyone for your willingness to help!! IF I DO end up with an obscene amount of babies, I will do what I need to in order to deliver these kids to someone who can help. However, Miami is OUT. I have driven there several times and I swore, NEVER AGAIN. But I could meet someone halfway??????

Is Philomycus still around? Or is she already off to vet school? She did a great job with my baby Bella "aka Stinkerbell". Wonder if she could take a few? Although she DID say Bella and Max would be her last releases. But you never know. Also, does anyone think they might find some Flyers as well? I haven't seen any in my area, but Philomycus assured me that even though I didn't see them , that she was sure we had plenty of flyers in our area.

I just read up on baby raccoons. Apparently, just to be different, they drink kitten milk replacer, not puppy as in the Esbilac. Do I get that from the vet as well? Help!!

I am pretty sure my female cat is NOT going to help out here!!!!!!! (Just a feeling I have)

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I'll take flyers or greys, whatever you have left...I have STUFF! and can drive...Liz I think you have my phone number, Shanon and Anne do, I know.
    Hey Jamai may take a couple?? she offered help during baby season, she's my neighbor and I ended up with her mothers flyers from Philo.
    Not sure Philo can, maybe.
    Ms.Oakley and Scoobysnack.
    PBlueJay is up there and Sarabi, and maybe Oddity Given, just a few members that I know of.
    The thought of that size of tree coming down kills me...what the F...
    I know, I know!~It's a job ma'am...*sigh*

Thanks, Shanon for alerting me

Liz....I can drive to pick up and take up to 6.
    I'm a couple hours away...have cages, formula, spare room, everything.

I'm PMing you now with my numbers I'm praying not too many families are displaced.

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

I'm in Miami, but let me know if there's anything I can do.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Loopy Squirrel Guest

I can't take any with the pox situation but I do have a friend who has done squirrels many times before and she is dying for a couple.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

If there are babies that are displaced from the trees being cut down, you can try reuniting with their mom. She will most likely be uninjured and will have a backup nest to take them to or could make one, so I would think that would be the way to go. I would think the mom would come back and get the babies in most cases.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

If Anne in Orange Park can take any, I can pick up for her, she's between your place and mine

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelsrule&bunniestoo
    If there are babies that are displaced from the trees being cut down, you can try reuniting with their mom. She will most likely be uninjured and will have a backup nest to take them to or could make one, so I would think that would be the way to go. I would think the mom would come back and get the babies in most cases.

Just in case.....Lady Squirrelly, Miraclesquirrel & Tori are all around that area too. I'll pm them to this thread.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast