Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly Pregnant Squirrel that I'm worried about.

Exclamation Possibly Pregnant Squirrel that I'm worried about.

Hey all, I have developed a deep fondness for this sweet squirrel that has made his or her home right outside my third story apartment window. I watch for her (I assume it's a her) every day, and check in on her, because lately she's been acting strange. She doesn't look super chubby, but is breathing very quick and hard, and spends most of her time curled up in a ball in the nest. She's been leaving the nest for most of the day, and usually returns about two hours before sunset. The nest appears to be VERY slowly getting bigger. I am very worried that if she has babies that they may fall out of the nest, so my husband and I are on the look out because the nest is quite shallow. It isn't a new nest, and has been there for ages. I think she just took it over. Anyways,

1. is it normal for her to be curled up like that, and breathing so hard?
    2. how likely is it that her babies will fall out of the nest?
    3. Is there anything I can do to help her make her nest more complete so she doesn't have to work so hard? I'm not talking about touching the nest... that's impossible anyways, but rather, can I leave things around that she might find useful to add to the nest?
    4. Can I help her nutritionally in any way indirectly?
    5. How long until she gives birth?

p.s. we live in central Idaho, if that makes any difference.

Any help would be great. Just want to make sure she's ok.

Default Re: Possibly Pregnant Squirrel that I'm worried about.

Also, wanted to note that I wrote down the name and number of someone in our area who helps rehab squirrels, just in case. But please, any advice? I'm waiting anxiously.

tatcat Guest

hi Nevara and a BIG to our tsb family...you are gonna love it here...i don't see why ya couldnt leave out some food for her at the base of the tree such as nuts...look under the nutrition section here...there are squirrel blocks ya could make...plus there is a list of good foods to feed them...

I did look at the nutrition section, but didn't see anything about sunflower seeds, and that's what we've got on hand. Do those work?

PBluejay2 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Nevara
    Hey all, I have developed a deep fondness for this sweet squirrel that has made his or her home right outside my third story apartment window. I watch for her (I assume it's a her) every day, and check in on her, because lately she's been acting strange. She doesn't look super chubby, but is breathing very quick and hard, and spends most of her time curled up in a ball in the nest. She's been leaving the nest for most of the day, and usually returns about two hours before sunset. The nest appears to be VERY slowly getting bigger. I am very worried that if she has babies that they may fall out of the nest, so my husband and I are on the look out because the nest is quite shallow. It isn't a new nest, and has been there for ages. I think she just took it over. Anyways,

1. is it normal for her to be curled up like that, and breathing so hard?
    2. how likely is it that her babies will fall out of the nest?
    3. Is there anything I can do to help her make her nest more complete so she doesn't have to work so hard? I'm not talking about touching the nest... that's impossible anyways, but rather, can I leave things around that she might find useful to add to the nest?
    4. Can I help her nutritionally in any way indirectly?
    5. How long until she gives birth?

p.s. we live in central Idaho, if that makes any difference.

Any help would be great. Just want to make sure she's ok.
    1. Squirrels usually sleep rather curled up. It's amazing how compact they can make themselves. That isn't a worry, I don't think. The breathing hard--thie metabolisms are much faster than ours and their respiratory rate quite a bit faster.

2. Moms know how to make nests, and babies are rather still and cautious, especially before their eyes open. The only time I've experienced babies falling out of nests is during storms or when the mother is killed and they venture out to find food. Again, I don't think there's a worry here--yet.

3. it wouldn't hurt to leave some material scraps, maybe some cotton or polyester batting, even make sure there are leaves and such, but the mom will pick and choose and may not pick any of what you leave. Don't bother the nest yourself!

4. A nursing mother needs a lot of protein. When she leaves the nest she's looking to feed herself so she can make more milk to feed her babies. Make nuts available to her (not peanuts). Otherwise, she'll get what she needs from foraging herself.

5. Gestation is about 45 days--a month and a half approximately. When/if she has them, she won't leave the nest for a few days (usually) and you should be able to notice her teats (if you can get that good of a look).

6. Don't know "nuthin'" about Idaho, but hope this helps :-)

Thankyou! I was just worried, because unlike the other squirrels around here she's not active. She's just curled up every single time I see her.

tatcat Guest

i'm sure she is fine darlin...

Thanks!! I'll keep you all updated on the progress of my favorite squirrel!

Smile Re: Possibly Pregnant Squirrel that I'm worried about.

Well as promised, I'm keeping you all updated.
    I left some prizes (sunflower seeds, small bits of flannel for her nest) for her under her tree, but since there's a gazillion bushes right there, I have no idea if she made use of them. I hope so!

Sad news for me: She's gone, and didn't return tonight to her nest. I was looking forward to seeing her all curled up in her ever growing nest. But no luck.

I'll try to include a picture soon, but I'm going on a trip for the next few days, so probably won't get the time to upload a pic.

Still trying to think of names for her.... Want to name her something that represents her curled up posture, because that's the only way I've ever seen her. But I want it to be sweet... sort of a gentle name, because she's so patient with me while I take her picture (I'm a professional photographer, and the shutter on my camera is unbelievably loud) and she's just trying to catch some shuteye. I feel like a nut, for loving a squirrel like this. She's just so darn cute!!

She's still gone. It's been two days. Is this normal behavior for the squirrel?

How about naming her "Lullaby"? She may have another nest under construction
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

tatcat Guest

yes, she may have built a nest somewhere else...i am no expert but just like any animal if for some reason they feel threatend they will move to another location...

Well she's finally back after being gone for a really long time! I just returned from my trip to find her back in her nest.

I'm pretty sure it's a girl... I'll post pictures, and see what you guys think. Also, is that weird sprawling thing that she's doing, is that normal???

P.s. I think I like the name Curla. Like Carla.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

tatcat Guest

awww she looks so cozy in her nest!!!

You are so lucky to be able to get such good pictures of her in her nest! You just have to take them from your window, right? She is so sweet looking.
    Squirrels are soooo cute!
    So were you Timothy, Rest in Peace

As were you Lani, I will never forget you

Goodbye Pola, I'm so sorry. I will always miss you.

For love is the true religion,
    And love is the law sublime;
    And all that is wrought, where love is not,
    Will die at the touch of time.
    -Ella Wheeler Wilcox(Voice of the Voiceless)

Yep! I'm a professional photographer, so even if she wasn't right there I'd probably still be able to get somewhat decent pics of her with all the equipment I have on hand. Couldn't have done it without the telephoto lens. The only problem I have is that my window gets dirty and sometimes reflects and washes the pictures out. But other than that I love sitting on my kitchen counter looking at all the wildlife in the trees....
    Curla's nest is just RIGHT outside my window. I snapped a telephoto lens onto my camera and got those super close shots of her. The ones that are further away are more representative of the distance from me to her.

I wish I could have a relationship with her like some of the other people on this board have with their wild friends, but we have neighbors, and while they aren't loud we share a patio with them, and that's the only place she could come to get close to me. It's a bummer being three floors up. Oh well! It makes me happy to see her lounging like that. As long as it's normal behavior, that is.

Awe, aren't you the best worrying about your little outside friend...does my heart good. Yes, she is relaxing, very normal. Please keep us posted. Outstanding photos too, wished you were closer, we would hire you!!!!

Great job, great pics!! Welcome to TSB!!!! Squirrels will steal your heart!! Def. a female, but she doesn't look too pregnant. If she is preggo, she's not that big-not that far along. their nipples will get much bigger closer to birthing.
    [I]An ambassador for squirrels everywhere.[/I]

Talking Re: Possibly Pregnant Squirrel that I'm worried about.

YAY!! She got a hold of a shelled peanut that we left for her today, and it was just amazing watching her eat it. Call me sheltered, but I've never seen a squirrel eat a shelled peanut. I took a bunch of pictures of her. Is there somewhere I can post all of my pics of the wildlife I have? It's funny because I'm not a professional wildlife photographer.... I'm actually a newborn and wedding photographer, but I LOVE the wildlife I get to see around here.
    I was SO excited to see her get up and move around... because like I said, she's been very inactive. And every time I see her she's curled up in a ball in the nest. But today she was vibrant. I'm a new squirrel lover!

1. Why is she alone? Don't they like to be in "families"?
    2. And do they make nests if they aren't getting ready to give birth?
    3. And can anyone tell me what type of squirrel she is?
    Attached Images Attached Images      

Buddy'sMom Guest

That is SO COOL that you can watch her in her nest! The pictures are excellent -- it's wonderful to have you sharing her with us

You could start a thread in Off Topics for your other wildlife pictures ...... we LOVE pictures!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast