Hey all, I have developed a deep fondness for this sweet squirrel that has made his or her home right outside my third story apartment window. I watch for her (I assume it's a her) every day, and check in on her, because lately she's been acting strange. She doesn't look super chubby, but is breathing very quick and hard, and spends most of her time curled up in a ball in the nest. She's been leaving the nest for most of the day, and usually returns about two hours before sunset. The nest appears to be VERY slowly getting bigger. I am very worried that if she has babies that they may fall out of the nest, so my husband and I are on the look out because the nest is quite shallow. It isn't a new nest, and has been there for ages. I think she just took it over. Anyways,
1. is it normal for her to be curled up like that, and breathing so hard?
2. how likely is it that her babies will fall out of the nest?
3. Is there anything I can do to help her make her nest more complete so she doesn't have to work so hard? I'm not talking about touching the nest... that's impossible anyways, but rather, can I leave things around that she might find useful to add to the nest?
4. Can I help her nutritionally in any way indirectly?
5. How long until she gives birth?
p.s. we live in central Idaho, if that makes any difference.
Any help would be great. Just want to make sure she's ok.