Thread: Balding syndrome

Default Balding syndrome

It's been a month and BoBo still not gain his fur much. He eats healthy food, blocks, and under FSL at less 3 hours but still no improvement. Can anyone please give me some advise?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Tomo Guest

Default Re: Balding syndrome

My Chipper (who came to Tomo's in February 08) was balding in his first year and at the same time, when he should have been physically maturing in his little boy parts, he wasn't. I took him to the doctor and he ran blood tests and found that Chipper's estrogen level was off the charts. Chipper was never given formula as a baby and he also didn't get out into the sunshine or have the proper lighting. But one day in spring of 08 he saw my rehab babies drinking formula and he wanted some. He took formula for about 2 weeks and at the same time, he finally started going outside and getting real sunshine (I had him under an Ott light up until that point) and low and behold, his hair started to grow in and his little boy testes started to sprout.

Was it the formula and sunshine? Perhaps, or maybe he was just a late bloomer because he didn't have the correct nutrition from when he was 1 month old until I received him.

BoBo may need a calcium supplement or may be deficient in something else. Maybe a blood test could tell you what is going on. But boy, what a little cutie!!

He's only been eating the squirrel blocks for a week or so, right? If it's nutritional, it needs more time. But I think Tomo is right, it could be metabolic. Maybe a vet check is in order.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

BoBo did has MBD issue a month ago. We then changed his diet and give him planty calcium, including one 600mg calcium tablet to chew daily . He ate blocks but he only likes to bite and chew, not eatting much. I try to chop a whole block to be quarter size and still, he only eat a few so I give him other veggies to support his nutritions...

He gain weight and stay very active, well, I should say "hyper" everyday. He round all over the house and use one leg hang on to the mesh drinking, eating, playing with DoDo no problem. I did not see any MBD symptom on him any more, only the hair issue...

Could that be mites?? but how come his pal, DoDo, did not have the issue?

BTY, I will have the outdoor cage ready by the end of the week. Can BoBo still stay outside under this condition? I know the sunshine may cure his issue but how about the weather condition? He doesn't has his coat buildup yet....

Tomo Guest

Quote Originally Posted by chao0129
    BoBo did has MBD issue a month ago. We then changed his diet and give him planty calcium, including one 600mg calcium tablet to chew daily . He ate blocks but he only likes to bite and chew, not eatting much. I try to chop a whole block to be quarter size and still, he only eat a few so I give him other veggies to support his nutritions...

He gain weight and stay very active, well, I should say "hyper" everyday. He round all over the house and use one leg hang on to the mesh drinking, eating, playing with DoDo no problem. I did not see any MBD symptom on him any more, only the hair issue...

Could that be mites?? but how come his pal, DoDo, did not have the issue?

If he's that hyper every day, it could be thyroid related - again a blood test would provide some answers. If it's cold outside, don't put him out. I'd try to feed him by hand once a day. Mix organic baby food with ground rodent blocks, a touch of molasses, and mix in some esbilac. You can also add some almond meal. Warm the mixture. Get a large oral syringe for dogs/cats and fill it with the mixture, then wrap BoBo up in a towel and force feed him. It may take a try or two, but he will get used to it. At least he'll be getting his calcium and other nutrients. Seriously, if this doesn't make his hair grow back, I'd consider finding a vet to run some tests on him. Since DoDo isn't having the same issue, it most likely is metabolic. BoBo should be okay, he just needs to be straightened out.

BoBo went to visit his vet today and here is the blood test result.

BUN 12. mg/dL
    CPRE 0.5 mg/dL
    PHOS 8.3 mg/dL
    CA 8.6 mg/dL
    TP 5.7 g/dL
    ALB 3.3 g/dL
    GLOB 2.4 g/dL
    ALT 12. U/L
    ALKP 361. U/L
    TBIL 0.2 mg/dL
    CHOL 163. mg/dL
    AMYL 495. U/L
    GLU 181. mg/dL

Na 155. mmol/L
    K 4.0 mmol/L
    CI 117. mmol/L

Overoll, he is a healthy boy. No MBD issue, no flea or mite find from skin. And no clear answer to why his fur did not grow back in this moment....

Any idea?? anyone?

ouch! doesn't it suck when you think you can find a health problem with a blood test and it comes back fine? we may have to call House, who will call it Lupus, let all organ systems fail, and then get at the answer. Gees, I am sorry you have not yet found the answer, but just keep up a good diet and if your lil buddy wants to go outside, then by all means let him out, nothing like sunlight for our furry lil friends! I know people will disagree, but squirrels are not like people, they don't really get affected by the cold like we do, without fur, I am not so sure, but I think squirrels know best about what they want to do.

three dogs- Meadow- a shelter pup, she's a staffordshire/wirehair terrier mix with the accent on wirehair. Jorge- purebred chihuahua, white with tan spots, and Chloe- a farm dog adopted as a puppy, lab/sheperd mix and Al my released into the wild grey squirrel who still hangs out for a snack, with his posse of squirrels and tiny brown birds(they clean up the mess)

just make sure he has his personal warming blanket - dodo

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

thanks for getting him medical care.
    Too cold for an insider to be outside yet, especially a little one! With no hair! JMO
    Keep up the good work and diet!

What exactly is balding syndrome? What causes it? And what's the treatment?
    + =

"Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?"
    -Gimli, The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers

a ferret i pet sat had that same look of balding along his back... basically the vet had said he was perfectly healthy but guess it could of been a type of cancer or something (again this was a guess as they are not used to ferrets)?! either way he was still a very energetic happy ferret who showed no signs of slowing down... frankies hair has grown all back and he is doing good again.. was about a year of baldness though

i should add that he still shows no signs of cancer and bloodwork is great so i really doubt he has cancer