Thread: I have lots of questions....

Default I have lots of questions....

First of all, I have finally taken pics and I'm hoping that my babies are to the left...it keeps showing failed, even after I resized...but hoping that it worked anyway.
    I have two baby female squirrels, approx 6 wks old. Their eyes opened on 5/16/09. I've had them since the first of May and plan to care for them until they're able to be released.

I've been feeding 1 part powdered esbilac to 2 parts water, and adding either whipping cream or sometimes plain yogurt to the formula. They eat pretty well. I have one small squirrel (named Whiney) who eats between 6 to 12 cc's each feeding. Jelly Bean is the larger one, and eats at least 9 and has been known to eat up to 15 cc's. I feed them about every 4 hours for a total of 5 times per day. 1/2 inch squares of apples and peeled grapes have also been added, but the little one managed to scare me away from the grapes by getting choked.
    So here goes...
    Question #1
    I am currently trying to figure out what I need to add at this point. It seems that there are many different opinions about what to feed at this age. I know that I must start them on a quality rodent diet immediately, but am unsure of exactly what to use. I went to my local pet store, and they gave me some samples of Kaytee Rodent Chow. I then read that it has been known to cause tumors, so I'm afraid to give them that. I'm also looking into making the "homemade" blocks, but need an alternate for backup. The local pet store had Zupreme for Parrots and another type of bird, but not "primate" blocks. Also, there were varieties of the Science Diet, and I didn't want to get the wrong thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Question #2
    Should the babies be fighting and biting each other? They jump around and chase each other a couple of times a day. They're actually starting to hop some too, and bite until the other cries out.
    Question #3
    Should I add deer antlers at this point for calcium? Or....Should I add calcium to their formula? I have a large chunk of bark in their cage to play and climb on, as well as sticks and place fresh branches in every other day or so. MBD is a very scary thought, and I would like to do everything possible to avoid it.
    Question #4
    When do you introduce sunshine?
    Question #5
    The small squirrel is very dependent on me and my fiance. It would rather curl up in our hands than in it's bed. Is this okay? It even whines (hence the name-Whiney) The bigger one is very independent, and doesn't care where she's at. She likes to run around the living room and curl up for a nap in my purse.
    I really appreciate any help with this, as I haven't ever kept a squirrel longer than a couple of days (long enough for the rehabber to pick them up) until now.

Default Re: I have lots of questions....

Should I go ahead and order Henry's blocks for now?

tatcat Guest

hi tara and a BIG to our TSB family!!! yes the henry blocks are very healthy for him!!! but for now here is a list of healthy foods for ya...

HEALTHY DIET FOR SQUIRRELS:

Healthy Diet for Pet Squirrels
    (Revised March 21, 2008)

Your squirrel needs a balanced diet containing protein, fat, and vitamins and minerals, including lots of calcium. Feed a variety of foods from each category in the amounts indicated. Note: Amounts are for a 450-gram (1 pound) squirrel, and should be adjusted as necessary depending on your squirrel’s weight. For squirrels that are older, overweight, or less active, you should limit foods that are high in sugars, starches, or fat.

1. Rodent Block—2-4 small blocks per day. Below are two of the best:

Harlan Teklad 2014 and 2018 Rodent Diets. The cadillac of rodent chows. Vegetarian formulas contain no preservatives, phytoestrogens, or nitrosamines. The 2014 is a low-fat, low-protein formula suitable for older squirrels. The 2018 is for growing squirrels (under 18 months old). Store in the refrigerator. $5.00 for 5 lbs at the Crafty Rat:
    http://www.craftyrat.com/Merchant2/m...tegory_Code=FS

KayTee Forti-Diet for Rats and Mice. A tasty vegetarian rodent diet available at pet stores. If you’re having trouble getting your squirrel to eat blocks, it can be a good choice. Does contain added sugars such as molasses, as well as preservatives for long shelf life. $3.47 for 2 lbs at Petco:
    http://www.petco.com/product/5906/Ka...-Rat-Food.aspx

2. High-Calcium Vegetables—5-7 thumb-sized pieces per day. Arugula, beet greens, Belgian endive, carrots, celery, chicory, chinese cabbage (bok choy), cilantro (fresh), chrysanthemum flowers, collard greens, dandelion greens, escarole, fennel, kale, lettuce (looseleaf), mustard spinach, parsley (fresh), purslane, radicchio, radishes, romaine lettuce, squash (butternut; raw or cooked), swiss chard, turnip greens, watercress.

3. Other Healthy Veggies—2-3 pieces per day. Asparagus, artichokes, avocado**, bell peppers (green, red, or yellow), broccoli, brussels sprouts, cabbage, carnations, cauliflower, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, green beans, mushrooms (1 per week), okra, pumpkin, squash (all types; raw or cooked), sugar snap peas, sweet potato* (raw or cooked), zucchini.
    *Somewhat higher in sugars/starches
    **High in fat; also the skin and pit are toxic
    Avoid: Dried vegetables, fresh corn, garlic, onion, palm hearts, potatoes, sprouts, yams

4. Wild Foods—Unlimited while in season. Magnolia cones, pine cones, pine branches and bark, branch tips of nontoxic trees, roses from your garden, wild rose hips, purslane, plaintain, lambs quarters, and dandelion greens can be gathered fresh daily. Look to see what the wild squirrels are eating in your area. Make sure the area wasn’t sprayed, fertilized, or treated with any chemicals.

5. Animal Protein. Live or dried mealworms, crickets, or live moths (2 per day). Another option is eggs (hard-boiled or scrambled, with the shell), cheese, or plain yogurt mashed with some fruit (1 tsp. per day). Mealworms are available live or canned from pet stores and online at http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Treat-Department.htm

6. Fruit—2 slices per day. Apple, apricot, bananas,* blackberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, cherries* (sweet), cherries (sour), crabapples,* cranberries, grapefruit, grapes,* honeydew, kiwi, kumquats, lemon, lime, mangos,* navel oranges, nectarines, papaya, passion fruit,* peaches, pears, pineapple, pomegranates,* raspberries, strawberries, watermelon.
    *Somewhat higher in sugars/starches
    Note: Pits and seeds can be toxic, except for berries.
    Avoid: Dates, dried fruit of any kind, figs, fruit juice, persimmons, plums, prunes, raisins.

7. Nuts/Seeds—Two per day, preferably in the shell. Acorns, whole roasted pumpkin seeds, and almonds are the healthiest, followed by hazelnuts, macadamia nuts, English walnuts, pecans, pistachios, and peanuts, in that order. Unlike other nuts/seeds, sesame seeds are an excellent source of calcium.
    Avoid: Cashews, sunflower seeds, dried corn, pine nuts (will cause severe calcium loss).

8. Something to Chew On. Antlers, tree branches, sea shells, or a walnut-sized rock from outdoors provide trace minerals and keep teeth from overgrowing. A cuttlebone or other calcium/mineral block should be hung on the side of the cage.

Foods to Avoid Generally
    -Packaged “squirrel food,” “pet treats,” or seed mixes.
    -Starchy foods: pasta, bread, grains, seeds, rice, potatoes.
    -Sugary foods: candy, cookies, dried fruit, banana chips, soda, fruit juices, sweetened yogurt, granola, sweetened breakfast cereals.
    -Junk food: french fries, potato chips, pretzels, crackers, anything salted.
    -Legumes: beans (kidney beans, lentils, etc.), peas, and soybeans; except for green beans and sugar snap peas in the pod.
    -Artificial sweeteners like Nutra-Sweet or aspartame.

Also Important for Good Health:

Natural sunlight. 1 hour per day in an outdoor cage or screened porch during the warm months provides Vit D and will help keep your squirrel healthy. An open window screened with aluminum screening or hardware cloth is another option. Indoors, a full-spectrum light (FSL) for 8 hrs per day is the next-best thing; although it does not provide Vit D, it is believed to have other health benefits.

Maintaining a Healthy Weight. Being overweight causes all kinds of health problems and is a major factor in diabetes in older animals. “Healthy weights” may vary: northern squirrels tend to be heavier than southern squirrels, and foxers are heavier than greys. In general, your pet should look like the healthy wild squirrels in your area.

tatcat Guest

oh my, sorry that was so big...LOL

Thanks so much tatcat! So, It's safe to offer all of the foods listed at 6 weeks of age? And 1 hour of sun too? I thought it was more dramatized than that. I've seen the percentages under the nutrition forum, I'll have to print that and post it! I just get confused when trying to figure out how to make my own blocks.

So, I only have to offer ONE type of block? Not block AND Dry science Diet AND Zupreme? It's all classified as the same thing, so they only need 75-80% of ANY block? Whew!?!?!!? I kinda feel like a moron!

tatcat Guest

as long as he is on formula i dont think he needs sunlight...hopefully someone will confirm this for me...make my own food from 4skwerls reciepe...i feed tweakerz and mac about 2-3 a day plus veggies, 1 piece of fruit (only a small portion of fruit) 1 nut...i give them their "cookie" first to make sure they eat it...then add the other...4skwerls would be a great person to talk to about nutrition...

Question #1
    I am currently trying to figure out what I need to add at this point. It seems that there are many different opinions about what to feed at this age. I know that I must start them on a quality rodent diet immediately, but am unsure of exactly what to use. I went to my local pet store, and they gave me some samples of Kaytee Rodent Chow. I then read that it has been known to cause tumors, so I'm afraid to give them that. I'm also looking into making the "homemade" blocks, but need an alternate for backup. The local pet store had Zupreme for Parrots and another type of bird, but not "primate" blocks. Also, there were varieties of the Science Diet, and I didn't want to get the wrong thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, whether you make them yourself or buy them online, seem to be a big hit with most squirrels. The Zupreem Monkey Biscuits or Mazuri Rodent Blocks can be ordered from www.squirrelsandmore.com You only need to give him ONE type.

Question #2
    Should the babies be fighting and biting each other? They jump around and chase each other a couple of times a day. They're actually starting to hop some too, and bite until the other cries out.
    Yes! This is how they prepare themselves for life in the wild, where they must be fast and agile and able to hold their own against other squirrels.

Question #3
    Should I add deer antlers at this point for calcium? Or....Should I add calcium to their formula? I have a large chunk of bark in their cage to play and climb on, as well as sticks and place fresh branches in every other day or so. MBD is a very scary thought, and I would like to do everything possible to avoid it.
    So long as they are on formula you needn't worry about calcium -- it's all in there. When they start to wean off formula you'll want to be sure they're eating high calcium veggies and have either deer antlers, femur bones or cuttle bones to chew. I also give my baby squirrels seashells to chew -- good for calcium.

Question #4
    When do you introduce sunshine?
    Anytime...it's always good. But it's not a MUST until they are off formula.

Question #5
    The small squirrel is very dependent on me and my fiance. It would rather curl up in our hands than in it's bed. Is this okay? It even whines (hence the name-Whiney) The bigger one is very independent, and doesn't care where she's at. She likes to run around the living room and curl up for a nap in my purse.
    The little one may not be thermoregulating as well as his sister. He may be cold, so he seeks out the warmth of your hands. Can you put a heating pad half underneath his bed so he can choose to be on heat if he wants? Or, give him a rice buddy before he goes to sleep - fill a tube sock with uncooked rice or lentils....tie off the end...microwave for about 45 seconds. Babies love it.

and to the Squirrel Board!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

tatcat Guest

yes, what IR said!!!

Question Re: I have lots of questions....

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, whether you make them yourself or buy them online, seem to be a big hit with most squirrels. The Zupreem Monkey Biscuits or Mazuri Rodent Blocks can be ordered from www.squirrelsandmore.com You only need to give him ONE type.

Yes! This is how they prepare themselves for life in the wild, where they must be fast and agile and able to hold their own against other squirrels.

So long as they are on formula you needn't worry about calcium -- it's all in there. When they start to wean off formula you'll want to be sure they're eating high calcium veggies and have either deer antlers, femur bones or cuttle bones to chew. I also give my baby squirrels seashells to chew -- good for calcium.

Anytime...it's always good. But it's not a MUST until they are off formula.

The little one may not be thermoregulating as well as his sister. He may be cold, so he seeks out the warmth of your hands. Can you put a heating pad half underneath his bed so he can choose to be on heat if he wants? Or, give him a rice buddy before he goes to sleep - fill a tube sock with uncooked rice or lentils....tie off the end...microwave for about 45 seconds. Babies love it.

and to the Squirrel Board!

Thank you! I still have the heating pad underneath half of their nest box...they're just getting to where they'd prefer to sleep off of it. Should I leave it there until they're 12 weeks old? I think I read that somewhere....? I also use "Hot Hands" for overnight warmth-my heating pad turns off every hour. They get pretty warm, so I put it under their nest box and layer the t shirts so it doesn't burn them. However, now that they're gnawing on everything, I'm afraid to use them. Would the rice buddy stay warm overnight?
    BTW...when they're in "play" mode, if I put my fingers near them, they nibble and play tug of war with my finger. They bite pretty hard sometimes, but I was wondering if there's something I should do to stop them? I realize that they're playing, but don't want them to think it's okay to bite people. Others might not know they're playing!

You can leave the heating pad on until you see them consistently avoiding it. If you have a CVS near you, they sell inexpensive heating pads with NO shut-off....they are the only ones who still carry them, I think. The rice buddy won't last overnight, unfortunately.
    As for the biting, a sharp-voiced "aht! aht!" usually startles them into stopping (thank you, Rachel ) . If you're raising them to release, they should be wild enough by the time they leave that they won't be running up to people at all, let alone biting them.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

All the stuff IR said to the squirrel board
    Anne
    Wildlife and Squirrel Rescue,Inc.
    Rescuing Fl squirrels since 1979
    Moderator: NFSA Emergency Care
    Wildlife Intake Coordinator and Rehab Consultant at "The Ark Wildlife Care and Sanctuary Inc"
    http://www.thearkwildlifecareandsanctuary.com/

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but learning to how to dance in the rain"

"The single biggest problem with communication is the illusion that it taken place."
    George Bernard Shaw

"Kindness is the language the blind can see and the deaf can hear." - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by island rehabber
    You can leave the heating pad on until you see them consistently avoiding it. If you have a CVS near you, they sell inexpensive heating pads with NO shut-off....they are the only ones who still carry them, I think. The rice buddy won't last overnight, unfortunately.
    As for the biting, a sharp-voiced "aht! aht!" usually startles them into stopping (thank you, Rachel ) . If you're raising them to release, they should be wild enough by the time they leave that they won't be running up to people at all, let alone biting them.
    When Punky came around I discovered that Walgreen's actually sells them regularly too. Haven't been able to find them at any of the CVS' around here....but at Walgreen's it's their own brand and it's about $15 if I remember correctly.