Thread: Red rimmed eye

DizzyLizzie Guest

Default Red rimmed eye

My 2.5 year old Fox squirrel, Holly, has something going on with her right eye. Her eye is red-rimmed and the fur is missing from around her eye. Today I noticed a tiny bit of white stuff in the corner of her eye. What do you think could be causing this irritation and what can I do to help her? Thanks.

Default Re: Red rimmed eye

Just a guess, but maybe mites??
    Life is not measured by how many breaths we take
    But by the Moments that take our breath away
    They Call me….Miss Ellie MaeJ

Simba as a baby
    Click the picture for a short video tribute.

Tomo Guest

Has she come in contact with anything new that she may have formed an allergy to (i.e. plants, foods, laundry detergent, softner, etc.)?

DizzyLizzie Guest

Thanks for the quick response. Doubt that it's mites since it's only one eye that is affected. The only experience I have had with mites was total (or nearly) hairloss on some of my backyard squirrels.

Holly has been caged since a youngster because she has only a stump for a tail and I was advised to keep her caged because her life in the wild would be too hard for her without her tail.

I noticed this same pinkness a few months ago, same eye, but it went away. Fabric softener could be the culprit, I suppose. (Sometimes I toss in a "dryer" sheet, but not always) And again, just ONE eye??? I'll start with "clean" bedding and see if the redness goes away.

Thanks so much!!

Hi DizzyLizzie! Try Similisan eye drops to soothe her eye and we use baby detergent for blankie washing and use this "natural" fabric softener/antistatic sheet that seems to work well.

She may have gotten some dust or anything irritating in her eye that set off a itchy response. If you have any triple antibiotic eye ointment that would be great. otherwise a contact lens solution as a eye wash twice day might help.

Could it be a bug bite. (Mosquito) My dog eye turns red sometimes swells. not always. But looses his hair around the eye. Does your Foxer scratch it a lot. Act like it itches? Good luck

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.