Thread: Shivering & Teeth Chattering

longshotgamble Guest

Default Shivering & Teeth Chattering

Ms Butter (Grey, 9-10 wks old, healthy) has been shivering and chattering her teeth just like she is cold. She is warm to the touch, but is firmly planted under my hair on my shoulder. When I put her on the cage top to "Play Fight"; daily ritual, she just jumps right back to under my hair. Is she okay? Do I need to get her heating pad out, before I have to go to work at 2pm EST? Thanks for any help; she is my first. (She did take 20 mg of formula this AM from Rick; my better half, so she is eating okay and I feed her brocolli and rodent block &/or monkey biscuits.)

Default Re: Shivering & Teeth Chattering

They do normally chatter their teeth, (shivering no? Is she scarred)? Has she been feeling ok otherwise?
    Are you using esbilac formula? Can you post a picture?
    to TSB!!

Pa. licenced Rehabber

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

maybe we should get phone number now or e mail address. before we go down???

longshotgamble Guest

Yes, she is on Esbilac. Totally healthy; she is not cold to touch. She isn't scared, she is my first and if I was that small everything would be scary to me. I have tried to post photo, but I guess I am too dumb to figure it out, lol. My rehabber has seen photos and she is pleased how well this little fighter has done. No more shivering, but she wants to stay right on my shoulder.

Her diet sounds fine, you could give her the heating pad, however just watch the chewing but Im sure you have already thought of that?
    How long has she been shivering? Our board is going to shut down for the day for maintenence shortly. Please check back and give us an update.If you care to leave a phone # with someone thats also an option.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

LSG, I think she is just freaked out about something. She's going into 'frozen' mode on your shoulder, and the teeth chattering is a warning that something is bothering her and she may even strike out at it. It could be anything from a car alarm in the distance to a bird that flew by the window and, to her, looked like a hawk. At her age she is starting to instinctively react to these things, which will help her survival.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thanks for that, IR. I've noticed the same thing with Sammie and you've confirmed what I suspected. Anytime there's a change in her environment she'll hunker down and just isn't the same squirrel.

I saw that yesterday when I took her into her "Exercise Room" while I was doing laundry. The sound of the clothes dryer could be heard in the room, she hadn't heard that before, so she refused to come out and play and was shivering and chattering until I turned the dryer off.

longshotgamble Guest

Thank you everyone. Again, she is my first squirrel and I think I have spoiled her. My hubby feed her this morn to let me sleep in. I have thrown a shirt of mine in the cage and she is all curled up in it now. I thought squirrels didn't get attached to one person; as they cannot love. Hmmm.....

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Quote Originally Posted by longshotgamble
    Thank you everyone. Again, she is my first squirrel and I think I have spoiled her. My hubby feed her this morn to let me sleep in. I have thrown a shirt of mine in the cage and she is all curled up in it now. I thought squirrels didn't get attached to one person; as they cannot love. Hmmm.....
    What????
    I have dedicated my life to something that cannot love...not!
    Of course we are not all weirdos...they can love better than anything I have ever been close too. Other than family!
    Just wait, you'll see!

Sorry I missed you call....phone was out side !!!!tinfoil

Sounds like your little girl got a little frightened. This is all normal behavior in the process of her wilding up. She is learning the flight or fright tactic and the shivering is part of an adrenalin rush. Just be careful when she chatters her teeth...she is mad and or frightened and could bite. She loves you...you are the momma !!!!!
    Kiss MS. Butter for me
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

longshotgamble Guest

You rock my socks!
    Thanks my friend. You are loved , more than you know!

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil
    The sound of the clothes dryer could be heard in the room, she hadn't heard that before, so she refused to come out and play and was shivering and chattering until I turned the dryer off.
    Appliances will do it every time. Many TSB'ers have heard my story of the girl squirrel I thought was going to die....rapid heartbeat, shallow breathing, wouldn't eat or drink. I'm ready to call the vet and then the dishwasher finished its cycle and shut off. Case closed; she was fine.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

longshotgamble Guest

lol...I think it was my husband feeding this AM to let me sleep in on Mother's Day......she is much better now that she got loving from me.

Members who have read this thread: 2