You all are a wonderful source of information, I'm so glad I found the site yesterday!

I've perused some of the forums, asked questions, read a bunch, but I have a specific request for information on how to release our two 'babies' we've fostered when the time comes which will be sooner than we like or are ready for I'm sure.

"Spaz" and "Goblin" are sister and brother grey squirrels, and are about 8wks old now... they are all over the place and amazingly cute and fun. We have moved them to a large parakeet cage, complete with cozy (ferret) igloo made of fleece that hangs on one side - they love it. They're not weaned yet and a ways from release but again, it won't be long and I need to learn what to do.

We're hearing from our rehab guide and reading up that release preparation begins as soon as you're ready to move them outdoors. We're in the process of building an outdoor cage/habitat and will get wooden nest boxes for the cage.

My question is mainly about actual release... how do you get the nestbox up into a tree that its high enough and safe enough from predators?! We don't have a 25ft ladder unfortunately.

The trees these squirrels came out of are very tall, very old oaks and ash trees in stately older neighborhoods. They don't often have low branches at all.

I am very concerned about releasing them. I am ready to start the slow process of moving them outdoors as spring warms up and getting them acclimated, and even prepared to bring them food/water to whatever place we release them to make sure they get off to a good start. The people who found them and live in the house next to the trees are also willing to help out. We want to release them back into the neighborhood they were found but are hearing tales from other rehabbers of predators, cats, bad weather, etc etc... I guess I'm just having Mom anxiety early!

These are our very first foster babies, so we need extra help with the transition and release.

Thanks!