Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: male baby squirrel penis swollen & bloody tip

Default Re: male baby squirrel penis swollen & bloody tip

Quote Originally Posted by winky2
    What brand of puppy milk are you feeding and how are you mixing it? I'm wondering why they prefer the water to the milk... sounds like they're dehydrated. Maybe the milk is too concentrated.
    The original post dates back to 2009 Winky... Someone added to it because they're having the same problem but there is no mention of puppy milk this time.

Kind of you to drop in and try to help though.
    "In the midst of our lives we must find the magic that makes our souls soar."
    My darling Scooter, beloved Hami, sweet gentle Simon... YOU are the ones who brought that magic in my life. You've changed the way I see all things around me now and, because of you, I want to be a better person. This is not goodbye, my sweethearts. You be at peace, your work here on earth is done... now you are finally, truly free. Until we meet at the Bridge again, please remember that I will always love you.
    The greatness of a nation can be measured by the way it treats its animals.
    - Gandhi -

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey's Mom
    One method for little ones is to put one of the squirrels inside a pillowcase in the same enclosure with the other(s). They can still move around and feel each other through the cloth for comfort, but can't get to each other to suck. Be sure to turn the pillowcase inside out first, and cut off any thread loops or strings that a baby could get caught in. Sometimes you can put them back together for "supervised play" during the day when you can watch them, and separate them at night.
    I love this ideal..... I will be giving it a try tonight as I have my latest three guys separated for the exact same reason
    and I may be taking one of the three in to the vet tomorrow for a possible UTI.

WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT PUT THEM IN A SOCK WHILE THEY ARE ON A HEATING PAD!!!!!!

I took someone else's advice from this thread and wound up killing 2 out of 3 baby squirrels that I was trying to rescue. They couldn't get out of the socks and overheated or dehydrated. If they are on a heating pad, put something in the box they are in that keeps them separated while still allowing them the freedom to move towards OR AWAY from the heat. Otherwise....they wont live.

I'll echo this:

NEVER place baby directly on heating pad. Place heating pad (set on low or medium depending on the thickness of the container) under part of the container they are in so they can 1) get heat indirectly from the pad through their cage/container and 2) they need the option of to be able to roll/crawl off off the heated area to a cooler place if they get overheated. You want a heating pad that does not automatically shut itself off. At this age, you should check on them frequently to see that they are warm but not too hot. Generally, squirrel body temp is a bit warmer than people so they should feel warmish but not hot. If they are in a sock, they will not be able to crawl off the heated area if they get too hot which is dangerous.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert R View Post
    WHATEVER YOU DO, DONT PUT THEM IN A SOCK WHILE THEY ARE ON A HEATING PAD!!!!!!

I took someone else's advice from this thread and wound up killing 2 out of 3 baby squirrels that I was trying to rescue. They couldn't get out of the socks and overheated or dehydrated. If they are on a heating pad, put something in the box they are in that keeps them separated while still allowing them the freedom to move towards OR AWAY from the heat. Otherwise....they wont live.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Members who have read this thread: 4