Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squirrelie has teeth problems. Need advice

Default Squirrelie has teeth problems. Need advice

Hi, Squirrelie was the first squirrel that I got. He crawled up our driveway as a 4 week old baby squirrel. That was almost 3 and a half years ago and thus started my obsession with squirrels. he is a very special little guy. He cuddles up with us every night. He is my baby.

In the beginning he only stayed in his cage when we were not home or when we were eating. For what little time he was in there he would chew on his cage incessantly. By doing this he ended up grinding his lower teeth down to the roots. He hasn't lived in a cage since. He now resides in our bedroom with us.

His teeth never seemed to bother him until very recently. I noticed a few days ago what seemed to be a small bump on his lower jaw on the left side. It looks to be an abcess. I think it is more in the inside than on the outside. This area seems to cause him discomfort. It is really hard to get a look at it. He isn't exactly cooperative. But what I can see the gums around those teeth are inflamed and seem to be pulling away from the teeth a bit. Our bonuses from work should be comming within about 2 to 4 weeks. I can afford o take him to the vet then. Until then what can I do to help with pain management? I am assuming that these teeth are going to need to be pulled (both lower), what can I expect as far as cost? How invasive is this procedure? Is there any chance of me losing him( I don't know what I would do without him)? Any info on this procedure or home remedies to help with his tooth pain until I can get him there would be appreciated. Thanks.

foxsquirrels Guest

Default Re: Squirrelie has teeth problems. Need advice

I know it's hard to do but can you get a couple of pictures of his mouth? I'm dealing with a squirrel with some teeth problems from an injury. It would sure help! I have to run to the vet to pick up a couple of dogs but I will be back in about an hour.

The thing is I will have the money in a couple of weeks ish.

I can't get a picture of the inside of his mouth. It is extremely difficult for me even to get a slight glance at it. I can get a picture of his abcess from the outside. It is not a huge one but it bothers him. I tried to get a look at his tooth and wanted to try to touch it to see if it was loose at all. If it is very loose I could probably help him wiggle it out but I couldn't get a good enough look at it. I think he would be have to be put under for sure for this procedure. It is too painful for him. their teeth's roots are so deep too. I wouldn't attempt to take it out myself unless it was on the verge of falling out by itself.

I'll try to get a picture of the outside of his mouth by this evening.

Sciurus1 Guest

I think you have made a very good case for having an x-ray taken, to check for Odontomas, or some other condition that may be causing this problem.

HI, I can loan you some money for a couple of weeks if that is what it takes to get him to a vet right away. Having had a tooth abscess once myself I know it is a) painful and b) dangerous, not to mention what it is going to do to his nutrition.

here are some pics of it from the outside. His appetite is still fine.

I really appreciate your offers. I would really prefer to not have to take money from anybody. Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to have his lower teeth removed? I am wondering how much I am looking at here. Has anybody on here had their squirrel treated for this?
    Attached Images Attached Images     

No I do not have any antibiotics.

I am sure when I take him that they will take an xray of it.

foxsquirrels Guest

Squirrelfriend, let us help you get him into the vet right now. I have a little extra cash I can send to you if you have a PayPal account.

I know how you feel about taking money, but with this lousy economy a lot of us are having to ask for help with unexpected vet bills. So please don't feel bad--just do it. If everyone pitches in just a little, we can get Squirrelie to the vet right now.

That definitely looks like an abscess. Needs treatment ASAP!
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Get him to the vets please.

The money is for him, not for you. Think of it that way if it helps.

We have helped many squirrels on this board.

In a couple of weeks it might be too late.

I will give.

Quote Originally Posted by squirrelfriend
    here are some pics of it from the outside. His appetite is still fine.

I really appreciate your offers. I would really prefer to not have to take money from anybody. Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to have his lower teeth removed? I am wondering how much I am looking at here. Has anybody on here had their squirrel treated for this?
    My squirrelly had to have surgery to have one of his top front teeth taken out (it was growing into his nasel cavity which was giving him problem) It cost about 238.00 but that was 3 years ago. ( he is almost 7 ) I just took him back to the vet last week for a check up. He has periodontal disease. They gave me Maxi/guard zinc to rub on his gums to help him. they want to pull another one of his teeth but I am really hesitant. He said that he could not pull his front bottom teeth because it would give him jaw problems. Please try to take your baby ASAP because the can get an infection really fast. I am sure everyone here will help with the money and you shouldn't feel bad. You can always help someone else out when you get your money.

No one will be sending you money - we will be sending it to Squirrelie. It is SQUIRREL money, and floats from person to person as the need arises. When your checks come in, I am sure there will be another squirrel that needs help. I know how you feel about not taking money, but it really isn't for you. Every person on here cares about squirrels, and about helping them. Would you deny Squirrelie the help and freedom from pain that he needs, just because you were too proud to take help when it is freely offered?

So post your PayPal address, so we can start him on his way to good health and no pain!

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

If you are really uncomfortable having Squirrelie accept money from TSB members, maybe you could speak with the vet you will use to see if he/she will set up a payment plan or accept deferred payment?

Hugs to you, Squirrelie, and all your other precious babies!

OH my poor baby ! Been there done that ! Stevo had the same problems about 3 years ago. Took 25-30 calls before we found a vet that would even see him . Found a great vet that said she's never seen a squirrel be for but would do what she could. Even took a post dated check , she's a wonderful person . We pass alot of vets to see her for all our pets ! She put him under and trimed his teeth and nail's and gave him antibiotics. I believe it was 180. Get your phone book out and start at the beginning ,,,,,,,,, tell them your situation and hopefully you'll the one who will help . Do it right away infection is close to his brain. Please listen to the folks here they know what they're saying anything you need to know about your little friend is here on THE SQUIRREL BOARD !
    Rest IN Peace - Sweet Stevo 3-95- 3-28-09

Ok, now I am worried. I just called the vet to see how much they would charge for this and they were guessing the high range would be about $800. I called back to see if they would take post dated checks like someone on here suggested and they said they no longer take squirrels!!!!!!!!! This is the only vet I know that will take squirrels around here. NOW WHAT??????????????????? Now I am really worried. Before it was just a matter of when, now it is a matter of IF I can. My heart has sank, I feel numb. I can not lose my little guy. Does anyone here know of a vet that will take squirrels in the Toronto area?

P.s. Thank you all for your generous offers

OMG! I just called another vet. According to the advertisement they treat exotics and pocket pets so I tried them first. The lady on the phone said she couldn't tell me for sure but she says that they probably would. I have to call back tomorrow after 1:30. FINGERS CROSSED!

Sounds good. Fingers crossed. When you find out if this vet will see a squirrel, post your email/paypal too so we can make this happen! Poor little Squirrelie. I'm sure he's in pain.

Tell the vet it's an emergency.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Luckily his appetite is still good. very good at that.

I will have to post a paypal account later. My husband knows all that info and he is sleeping.

We're here, SF, so get your boy in there ASAP. That squirrel money that muffinsquirrel mentioned? Well some of it landed my way in October and it's just waiting here for a squirrel to help.....looks like you've got one.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

If the vets say that they no longer treat squirrels, just say "What??? You mean you are going to let this adorable, much loved squirrel DIE because you just took a notion to stop treating them??? What happened to your oath to help animals?"

Maybe you can shame them into doing the right thing and treating Squirrelie!

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast