Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Avocado Dangers - News from ASPCA

Exclamation Avocado Dangers - News from ASPCA

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to post this link to an article regarding the potential danger of feeding avocado to our beloved little squirts.

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer...salert110708#3

Default Re: Avocado Dangers - News from ASPCA

I thought it was ok to feed them the meat of the avocado (I swear I read it in a thread somehwere... maybe I'm wrong) but the seed and skin are toxic?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

OH NO!!!!

I knew they could not have the skin or seeds. but no avacado????

My Jack's big fluffy butt is a direct result of cheap avocados.

He loves them dearly. He only likes the smaller Hass kind.

It is not like I give him a whole one. Right now 11 squirrels share 1 avacado every other day.

What does everyone think?

I had mentioned this before and was told it's just the skin and seed that are toxic. I decided not to take the chance, so I don't give it to mine.

I feed it to mine all the time, including the 3 I released today. No harm noticed, but I only give them the soft meat.
    Virginia Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (formerly Georgia)

I had also read that avocado was OK and went out a bought two for treat time. Looks like that will NOT happen! I'd rather be safe than sorry, even if it is just a tiny amount once in awhile.

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Thumbs up Re: Avocado Dangers - News from ASPCA

It said Cats n Dog's..
    Nothing about Rodents??
    I know Rats n Other Rodents can have things cats n Dogs cant...
    IR..RIPPIE...PAM....SR&BT....what do you think about this...
    I know here we go again...
    Explain your thoughts on the matter..

oh i hope where safe with feeding the avacodo mine love them too specially baby just slurps it down i dont give alot in moderation like everythingelse

I feed small pieces to Timothy as treats now and then and he is fine...I do not however give it with the skin on and I never give him any that is around the pit, in case my knife nicks it....
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

yes thats the same thing i do if its near the pit iscrape it boy the time consuming things we do for our kids thats love

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I feed my squirrels avocado all the time! I have NEVER had any get sick. They just get the inside of the avocado though, not the see or peel. It is an excellent weaning food. It really gets them interested in eating their big boy and big girl food. I know the wildlife center uses avocado too and I don't think they have any problems (although their squirrels get sick a lot just because of them, so it is hard to tell sometimes, but they usually do good if they make it to the stage where they are eating on their own).
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

So I'm going to continue with feeding avocado's to my fuzzbutt because he loves them so... =)

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

I feed my kidz avocado...the ones that are big enough.....once a week.

They are high in fat and have poor nutritional value. But they do taste soooooo yummy!!!!! SO MODERATION is the key. A fat squirrel dosen't equate to a healthy squirrel
    Even if you leave the skin on...they don't eat it. But it's better to error on the side of caution and remove the skin and pit.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Rebecca <
    SC Wildlife Rehabilitator
    I'm a squirrel watcher, I'm a squirrel watcher, watching squirrels go by, my my my!

Sciurus1 Guest

We did have a squirrel get sick in relation to eating avocado. He had blood tests, but they showed nothing, and though it could have been MBD, but the other squirrel we had didn't have that. So then we were left at a loss at to what it was, save the avocado, or the uncooked peas our pet sitter gave him by mistake. Uncooked peas contain a virus, so they are not good for squirrels for that reason, unless cooked in hot water to kill the virus. I add he may have eaten some of the skin, but we didn't see evidence of it then, but he had eaten avocado for about a year. We never fed it to our other squirrel again. Again, whether this was the cause of his death, or just lent itself to weakening we do not know. Sadly we didn't know much about diet then, and he liked avocado so much that he got at times allot of it, in relationship to other foods. That then may have something to do with getting sick from it, for most members do not feed allot of one food like we did then.

Avocado skin and pits are slightly toxic, as we all know. But the avocado "meat" has long been a staple food for squirrels. If it was toxic, all our squirrels would be dead. Many things that are toxic to dogs, cats, and birds are fine for squirrels. Usually anything that is okay for humans is okay for squirrels.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

I figure if they were toxic, then all the squirrels in California -where avacados are plentiful -would have long since been laid out on the ground dead.

I try to think of it like this, too. God made the animals with amazing instincts. They know what to eat and what not to eat, for the most part, so they are averse to things that would be poison to them.

My kids eat avacado like crazy...it's like ambrosia to them. I wasn't aware that the skin was toxic to them, but apparently they are, because they leave it in their cages for me to clean out.

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

Grapes are also supposedly poisonous to dogs ..then again dogs and cats were not meant to eat fruits and veggies

I ave never has a problem with avocado Nutter still loves it...I do love Guacamole

I would like to see a pic of that cute Baby enjoying some avocado

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Thumbs up Re: Avocado Dangers - News from ASPCA

That's pretty much what I thought..thank you..all the BIG cheeses..that know...for sure!!
    Id really would have hated not..being able to give Bean...his daily few chunks..of fresh avacado...
    Have a wondeful night...
    Rachel n Bean

Dig&Chip have not had avocado yet and now I think we'll just skip it since they don't know what they're missing...different than those of you whose babies love it already

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast