Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outside Squirrel seems disoriented and falls over

GJ34 Guest

Default Outside Squirrel seems disoriented and falls over

I have a trio of squirrels that live on the trees outside my house. My family and I bring them food everyday (carrots, apple slices, pecans, celery, walnuts, pumpkin seeds, etc.) Yesterday, my mom noticed one of the squirrels was falling over and leaning to one side while he was eating/walking. He seems disoriented. My mom called Animal Control yesterday and left a message which we are still waiting for a response. Could this be due to it being cold outside? The weather in NJ has been pretty extreme the past few days going down to the low 20's. Another possibility is we think the neighbors behind our house are trying to poison the squirrels. There's a huge fence set up between our houses; we never even see each other. However, my Dad talked to them once about a year ago and told me they were having a problem with the squirrels eating the vegetables in their garden and that the sick fu** actually grinded up glass and was putting it in various food items that squirrels would eat. We've been trying to keep the squirrels comfortable so they stay in our yard with squirrel houses and food. If in fact my neighbors are poisoning the squirrels, what can i do to put an end to it? My mom left on the message that she thinks the squirrels might be being poisoned by them and that it's not only a hazard to the squirrels, but our cat goes outside, the neighbor across from us has a small dog that goes outside as well as a small child.

I'll take a video of the squirrel and post it up here tomorrow.

Thanks,
    Gill

Default Re: Outside Squirrel seems disoriented and falls over

GJ34 there are a few things I can think of that would cause a squirrel to be disoriented and off-balance:
    * it may have fallen and gotten a head injury
    * it may have been poisoned from an outside source
    * it may have an internal infection (I had a squirrel like this necropsied and it
    turned out to have an enormous abcess inside the ear which eventually killed it)
    * It may have racoon roundworm (baylisascaris procyonis) if you have racoons in your part of NJ...

There are many other things that could cause this but I'm not a vet. The problem with your neighbor is that I don't think it's illegal to kill squirrels on your own property in New Jersey . However if the person is using poison they MUST follow certain guidelines or they can be fined....check into the rules in your state and town about putting down rat poison, etc. You are not allowed to do it indiscriminantly....you have to put up signs, etc. I think. If you can get the local authorities to harass your neighbor enough maybe he'll stop his $#@&ing horrible activity!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Please do not call animal control. Most will just pick it up and kill it.
    Where in NJ are you? If you want I can come pick him up tomorrow or even tonight if you can meet somewhere.

Sciurus1 Guest

Please do not call animal control. Most will just pick it up and kill it.Where in NJ are you? If you want I can come pick him up tomorrow or even tonight if you can meet somewhere.

NO not animal control. Thats like calling an exterminator. But they wont come out for a loose squirrel anyway.

I dont know what the laws are in NJ for feeding wildlife but a friend of mine recently got fined $1500. for feeding the squirrels in her yard because a neighbor complained. No warning or anything. She got a lawyer and went to court to fight it but the judge upheld the fine and she had to pay. Do not tell anyone that your are feeding them.

GJ34 Guest

Here's a video I took this morning of the squirrel. I put out carrots and celery yesterday (which was all over the place this morning, lol so that's what the orange is in the grass in the video) and a large organic apple this morning. I noticed the sick squirrel grabs a piece of apple and climbs up a tree and hangs from his back feet while he uses his hands to eat instead of eating on the ground or on a branch.

View My Video

If this URL didn't work, here's the link:

http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2l9le8o&s=4

SkwerlGirl Guest

Any news yet????

PLEASE try to trap it so that somebody can help it....but NOT animal control! There was a squirrel like this on a youtube video that people thought was funny....but instead of helping the squirrel they watched him and laughed. The squirrel was later hit by a car....

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Just so everyone knows I am talking with him in emails and trying to help him figure out a way to trap him. From the video he doesn't look like he would let anyone get close enough to net or blanket him. All we might be able to do is try the have a heart...

jhsteele58 Guest

I've got the same thing happening to a squirrel in my backyard in Burnsville, MN, suburb of twin cities. It falls over on its side when standing or rolls when sitting on all fours. It has difficulty maintaining balance in trees. Reading these posts, I suspect it may be suffering from poisoning. I think I have a neighbor who tries to control chipmunks with rat poison. But I don't know if that is what the problem is.

In any case, I searched and found this site to see if I could figure out the problem.

jhsteele58 Guest

Thanks for the welcome and response. What would I do with him if I trap him? Yes I could probably trap him. I have a live trap.

jhsteele58 Guest

I am not sure that is such a good idea. I have two cats - indoor only - and a cockatiel and a chinchilla. Bringing a squirrel into the house would likely result in further head trauma... to me at the hands of my wife.

if you could trap him i'm sure the board will take care of the rest.....the squirrely folks on here are FAST in finding places for needy little furballs!

jhsteele, I will private message you with names of rehabbers in your area. Call them and see who will take the squirrel once you've trapped him....and good luck!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

ok, check your PM's -- I found a bunch
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

Another thing to consider is raccoon roundworm. We see a lot of that around here too. The coonies eat seeds and nuts too, then poop it out. I find their scat in the woods and there are whole seeds in it. If something else comes along (like our squirrel friends!) they think they hit the buffet bonanza and eat the nuts right out of the scat. They then get a major dose of the roundworm eggs. As the larva migrate (usually through the brain and eye tissue) they begin to act like your little friend there. Sometimes if it is affecting the eyes, there is a white gooey substance coming from them. Had people bring a grey, chippie and bunny to me all get diagnosed with it this year. Something else to consider....next to head trauma & poison.
    If you love something set it free.......
    www.thelaughingraccoon.blogspot.com

In most states it is illegal to get rid of squirrels using poison. Check your New Jersey wildlife website. Look for "nuisance wildlife" or a similar heading, and they should state the rules of how you can control squirrels, rats, raccoons, etc., in your yard. If it IS illegal, then call the wildlife dept. and tell them; they may refer you to animal control; they will want the person's name and address. Then they will handle it. Get the name of the person you talk to. Then do a follow-up phone call a day later to see what the result was. Keep bugging them and they will eventually do something about it.
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

loveallanimals Guest

OMG I have been feeding squirrels since this past summer and I have like 5 coming up to me but now that it's so cold here they pretty much don't come out that much. I just throw then unsalted nuts for now. Question is my favorite squirrel I call burley lol is doing this too. I am so sad he was fine before the cold came now he doesn't even want to come near me really. He falls over when he tries to eat the nuts out of the shells unless he has gotten real stable sitting. It is sad to see him like this and there is no way I could catch him right now. I figure if I can at least feed him around his tree he will make it until the spring where maybe I can get close to him again. Is there anything I can do with his food to make him better?? This forum is great! I have browsed quite a bit alot of nice people here.

whopoopwrasse Guest

I saw this last week too and someone mentioned fermenting fruit and that they get drunk eating it, for me it makes sense because there are apple trees in every yard and lots with rotten apples at the base of the tree.
    Just my 2 cents!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3