Thread: FAVORITE SQUIRREL FOOD??

protospheric Guest

Default FAVORITE SQUIRREL FOOD??

Based on your experience, what is the absolutely hands-down FAVORITE food of gray squirrels. Something they simply cannot resist?

I think peanut-butter ranks pretty high what about you?

Thanks for your opinions.

mjs

lilbear Guest

Default Re: FAVORITE SQUIRREL FOOD??

Two of my boys adore butternut squash! My third would rather eat rodent block, though. I haven't tried peanut butter. Is there a special kind for squirrels?

protospheric Guest

They seem to prefer the natural kind. No salt, no suger, just ground peanuts.

Nuts in the shell, avocado, sweet potatoes, junk food of any kind (like Oreo cookies )
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

TexanSquirrel Guest

I'm going to go with pistachios (sp?).

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

Grapes and Zuccini

Strawberries and carrots for Minnie.

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I have foxers, but their favorite food is definetely nuts of any kind and as for halfway decent food they LOVE grapes and apple. For the younger little tykes their favorite food always seems to be banana, I think they just like the big sticky mess they make with it .

Last year when my squirrels had mange, I tried giving them peanut butter to see if they would eat it so I could add their meds to it and they refused. I was amazed at the things they turned down... peanut butter and bread, donut, cookies, they wouldn't touch any of it and that was WITHOUT meds on the food, I was testing the food out to see what I could get them to take. I ended up having to use it concentrated and just add a drop on a walnut for each of them. I guess they just didn't know what the junk food was because they hadn't ever had it .
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Thumbs up Re: FAVORITE SQUIRREL FOOD??

My Bean...loves...Saw Palmetto Fruits (native to Florida)...Avacado,radishio,cranberries,grapes with seeds,sweet potato's,Cactus Pear's,Apples,The end of the banana that's bitter,spinich,brocolli,cauliflour,asparagus,(1)sm all piece of coconut,mushrooms,romaine lettuce,sugar snap pea's,CHERRIES,rice cakes,green bean's.the honey sticks...made for hampster's.sunflower seeds,pecan's,walnut's,Brazillian nuts,peanut's,hazel nuts......and of course..4skwerlz's...special Squirrel Blocks!!
    He of course...eat's better than ALL of us!!!
    Rachel n Bean...my 1 year and 4 month old inside Florida Grey squirrel....

Buddy's Moms famous critter scones...the extra peanut-buttery ones with almond chunks !
    They are like Squirrel-crack.

Also, fresh corn on the cob.

Andi's favorite food that she is allowed to have is probably mushrooms,she just Loves em.

Favorite "pretend " food is nuts in the shell.(only 2 teeth, can't crack the nuts but still likes to bury and hide them and treat them like little treasures.

And she will do ANYTHING for a piece of Reese Cup ( there's the peanut butter thing If there's an urgent situation like I need her to go back in her cage and she doesn't want to,I just have to show her a piece of Reese,and put it in her cage,and whoooshh, she flies in after it.I always keep one in the cupboard in case there is an emergency situation I know I can get her to co-operate.

LOL, only in a squirrel house " I smell a fire,quick ,get the fire extinguisher ! " " No, first get the Reese Cup ! "

Kat, owned by Andi
    Kat, owned by Andi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDMNuKWPnTQ

You become responsible, forever, for what you have tamed.
    -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Charles Chuckles Guest

Talking Re: FAVORITE SQUIRREL FOOD??

Charley Chuckles hands down the seeds out of a green pepper

Chesters_mom Guest

Pumpkin seeds, pecans, cool whip (he hasn't got this often but is crazy for it)

Pecans, hands down. Just did an experiment with some wilds in the backyard. I gave them each a shelled pecan, they ate those right next to me, didn't even bother to scurry away, and then would not take a shelled almond or any other nut until the shelled pecans were gone, I guess they could smell them. They are pretty spoiled though.

Sounds silly, but Teddy (southern flyer) loves yougart! (And don't give him the sugar-free kind! YUCK!) So far, no fav flavor. Pecans rate a high second place.

As for the greys that we've had....butternut squash & pecans. The last two, Sophie & Spyro, would fight over both when I put their veggie bowl in the cage.
    Shanon, Squammy to...

Here's a strange one: Persimmon. I brought a Fuyu persimmon home for a recipe I was planning to make. My foxer went completely crazy. I had to go back to the store to get another one for myself.

Members who have read this thread: 2