Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is there anyone that makes the 'squirrel block' recipe

happybooker1 Guest

Default Is there anyone that makes the 'squirrel block' recipe

... and sells it to others?

On another note, someone said that if Twitchy had never had rodent block as an infant (he's now about 4 months) he wouldn't eat it now. Is that true? I don't want to buy an entire bag of it just to have him turn his nose up at it!

Smile Re: Is there anyone that makes the 'squirrel block' recipe

I know of a few people that make it, but not anyone that makes it to sell to others.

Chances of him eating it now are pretty slim. There are very few on here that will eat it...no matter what their age.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help to you...didn't want you to think you were being ignored.

It is a gift from God to love and be loved by a squirrel.

I was blessed to have known such love for 5 1/2 years. Sammy T, I love you and miss you so much. Part of my heart went with you when you left and it will not be complete again until we are together in heaven. I can't wait to see you at Rainbow Bridge.

Default Re: Is there anyone that makes the 'squirrel block' recipe

Well, I just want to say if anybody here makes them yummy I will buy them cause I stink at them and my last batch came out sticky - prior to that dry...and today I'm trying again

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

Melissa Guest

I'm also interested in buying them. My kitchen is down for a remodel and I don't have a stove currently. It'll likely be another month before it's reinstalled

Note about the rodent block, I just introduced it to Thunder, who's about 3-3.5 months old. He's not keen on it but I eliminated most of the fruit and all but "treat" nuts out of his diet, so he'll pick the blocks up from time to time and gnaw on them. I also actually did crush them up and mixed it with crushed nuts, then re-made them into balls using water and peanut butter. I sometimes substitute that for his treat nuts. I figure it's not worse than a nut and he's getting some of the nutrients in the rodent block.

I have been thinking about getting a TBS co-op together to make the squirrel blocks. I love to bake I would love for the proceeds to go to TBS. Either one person or an administrator to be used for medical treatment for injured squirrels. Only the person receiving the profits would know which fuzzier gets help. Funds are short for all of us and this may be away to help others Whatcha think squirrel lovers?

Anne, I think that is a GREAT idea! But you should at least keep some profit for yourself, too, if this pans out.........you have lots of babies to care for and it is not cheap!!! Plus you would be using your time, electricity, supplies, etc (unless we could get some mailed to you).

I would be first on the list with my order

I know several of us have been looking for Betty Crocker help; go to the ForSale or Trade section and look under Want to Share........we've been talkin about it for a few days.

Maybe figure out how much it costs you per batch, then add the time and electricity, packaging, etc. Come up with a price (plus shipping) and let us know. TSB could get a portion of sales and everyone would win!

AGAIN, GREAT IDEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

Melissa Guest

I think it's a great idea as well and will be second in line to place my order, lol. I'm set up on paypal, so tell me what I owe and who it goes to and I'm ready

Well, Jay (Squirrel Cav) just finished making the website to sell the squirrel blocks to people with pet squirrels and rats......

The website should be ready within a week. In the meantime, anyone who wants a batch can PM me their address.

Of course, I have made the recipe freely available to all and will continue to do so....so if people would prefer to do some kind of co-op, no problem! Even on the website, I plan to make the recipe freely available to all. My ONLY goal with creating the blocks was to make a healthy food that our fuzzers would eat, and to get as many pet squirrels as possible on a healthy diet....to reduce the incidence of MBD!
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

Wonderful! If anyone offers to make and sell them soon, I'll definitely order some as soon as Sadie is low on Harlan! I'm so glad there's SOMEONE out there with enough time to make them and enough heart to offer the goods to others!
    “Many have forgotten this truth, but you must not forget it. You become responsible forever for what you have tamed."
    -Antoine de Saint Exupery

Count me in!!!

Unfortunately Betty Crocker doesn't live at my house...

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

IU Squirrel Crew Guest

Hi, I am new to this site and haven't quite figured out how to get around here yet. I am interested in the recipe for the squirrel blocks, can someone tell me how to locate where to find the recipe?
    I also was wondering if young squirrels 6-8 weeks can have the pine nuts that you buy at the store? I gave one to the little girl I have and she ate it right down, then I panicked thinking I had not read anywhere that they could have these.

I U Squirrel Crew, The recipe is in the Nutrition section. There you will also find different places that carry the different ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by lookmomchickens
    Count me in!!!

lol...that's funny, I was thinking the same thing!

I HATE cooking, and I NEVER bake anything..
    not even sure my oven works

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by lookmomchickens
    Count me in!!!

Betty Crocker doesn't even know I exist...

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

acorniv Guest

Try rolling them in flour before baking when the batter turns out gooey. Once they are baked you can rub the flour off if you like, but my girl loves flour. Also, I found that if I use natural peanut butter and pour some of the excess oil off they don't come out as gooey.

Quote Originally Posted by digiandchipper
    Well, I just want to say if anybody here makes them yummy I will buy them cause I stink at them and my last batch came out sticky - prior to that dry...and today I'm trying again

Quote Originally Posted by Gammas Baby
    Hey 4skwerlz....I was spooking around on eBay and came across this. I realize the auction is over, but from the feedback that you can read, it looks like she sold a lot of them. eBay might be something to think about using, too.

Of course, I know nothing about nutrition, but some of these ingredients don't sound that "healthy".

Is this anything like Clarissa's recipe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=290262152300

Gamma that is Clarissa's recipe...ingredients fit

Quote Originally Posted by happybooker1
    ... and sells it to others?

On another note, someone said that if Twitchy had never had rodent block as an infant (he's now about 4 months) he wouldn't eat it now. Is that true? I don't want to buy an entire bag of it just to have him turn his nose up at it!

I started Fallen out on Rodent Blocks as a baby and he

I make the squirrel blocks by 4S and he turned his nose up at first...took me 5 batches before he ate it...the other 4 batches went out to the wilds who ran off with them every time so no waste

Charles Chuckles Guest

Cool Re: Is there anyone that makes the 'squirrel block' recipe

I bought the forti-diet by kaytee/and another bag with dental bites....Charly said after about 18 bucks...I am now in the kitchen crusing it all up adding a little peanut butter and water to hold it together and rebaking them, he will eat that. I am going today to get natural peanut butter. I am going to start gathering the ingredience for the home made squirrel block...I have to wait on the ones from the health store (The first Tue. of the month I get 20% off at my local store Debbie's health food,,Daytona area) if Charley then won't eat the blocks I will dip them in milk and eat them,,Maybe I will get healthy and lose some weight

Quote Originally Posted by Charley Chuckles
    I bought the forti-diet by kaytee/and another bag with dental bites....Charly said after about 18 bucks...I am now in the kitchen crusing it all up adding a little peanut butter and water to hold it together and rebaking them, he will eat that. I am going today to get natural peanut butter. I am going to start gathering the ingredience for the home made squirrel block...I have to wait on the ones from the health store (The first Tue. of the month I get 20% off at my local store Debbie's health food,,Daytona area) if Charley then won't eat the blocks I will dip them in milk and eat them,,Maybe I will get healthy and lose some weight
    You can order the Now whey protein isolate online from Allstar Health. My health food store wanted $18 for 1-pound; it's $11 at Allstar. You can buy a 5-pound container for $44.50...that's about $9 per pound. Shipping is fast and very reasonable. You can also find the supplements you need. I suggest the POWDERED calcium carbonate and the liquid Vitamin D (no pills to crush).

http://www.allstarhealth.com/f/now-1...te_natural.htm
    Henry's Healthy Pets
    Henry's Healthy Blocks, Fox Valley Formula, Fleecies Cage Gear and more

The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older than ours, they move finished and complete, gifted with senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear. They are not brethren; they are not underlings; they are other nations… ~Henry Beston, The Outermost House, 1928

IU Squirrel Crew Guest

Thanks for the help on finding the recipe. I have copied it and added it to my files.
    Thanks also about the information on pine nuts, I will save them for my salad and delete them from my little girls diet (I only gave her one).
    She continues to loose hair (the fur flies literally) each time I pick her up. She has fur on her head down her back, little on the tail, and her feet are furry. What a sight, she makes me laugh each time I see her. She is eating well and today I have included fruit yogurt as she does not want to drink but a couple cc's KMR. I worried that she was not getting enough calcium and thought the yogurt would be a good source. She seems to like it. She is eating lots of fruits and vegs also and seems very healthy.
    Thanks again for the help.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.