Thread: SFS not holding body heat.

Exclamation SFS not holding body heat.

When I got Baby Girl she had been kept in a garage in a box with little nesting material with the nights in the 30's. She was cold to the touch. I knew this was a BAD thing.

Since then I have tried to make sure she is warm so she has been on a heating pad or in a bonding pouch under my shirt.

The last couple of nights as she played in the box, she was bumping her head so I knew she needed more room.

Last evening I set her up a small cage. For a bed I got her a hamster hanging cube like thing and filled it with small fleese squares. I popped her in it about 2AM this morning and went to sleep.
    About 7AM this morning I got her out to feed and she was ice cold. The temp in the house did drop a little because the heater was on when I got up.

I was in a panic. It took me a long time to warm her up so she could have breakfast.

A baby gray this furred would be holding its own body heat by now.

Are sfs different?

Is she too young to hold her own heat?

Is she sick and I don't know it?

PLEASE tell me what to do.

New SFS mom in panic mode.

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

Default Re: SFS not holding body heat.

My babies chill very easily also...I was wondering the same thing.
    My littlist two are I'm guessing a little older than a month.
    I too am putting them in a hamster cage today...kleenex box full of cotton balls, cage on heating pad...maybe she needs a roommate!
    Meet cha halfway!

Even some grey babies don't thermoregulate well until they are much older. I took one off heat at 7 weeks old and put her in a cage with her siblings, and she promptly got pneumonia -- but recovered. I'd keep Baby Girl on the heating pad. So glad you warmed her up thoroughly before feeding her.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

I agree with IR, keep provide her heat until she is old enough to maintain on her own. I had one that got chilled half way through feeding, and would put a heating pad under my feeding placemat to make sure it stayed warm from the time it left the basket until it got back to it.
    Virginia Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (formerly Georgia)

Thanks for answers. I feel better now. She can have heat till she's 20 (years) if she wants/needs it.

I tend to keep my babies on heat a lot longer than most people, just because I personally HATE to be cold! (Sort of like a mother that tells a kid "I'm cold, so you should go put on a sweater"!) But I will leave the heating pad under the cage until I see that the babies are sleeping up in their pouch instead of in their box that is heated.

muffinsquirrel
    The Southeast Texas Acorn Academy

Already we have hickory nuts, black walnuts, pecan nuts, peanuts, hazel nuts, oak nuts, beech nuts, chestnuts.......and now you're here!

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php