Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Found baby squirrel w/2 broken legs and cut eye

AutumnFair2121 Guest

Exclamation Found baby squirrel w/2 broken legs and cut eye

Hi, I just found a baby squirrel from our cat.
    It's a male squirrel, around five to six weeks old (fully furred, eyes open, bushy tail, etc.)
    The thing is I think he has two broken legs. He pulled himself into the bushes before I picked him up, but he was only using his two front legs and his two back legs were dragging behind him.
    Also, his right eye (when looking straight at his face) looks like it got cut. There's a small hole near the inner corner and it looks like there's blood in the eye.
    I don't see any blood anywhere else, so I don't think the cat bite him. He was probably just pawing with him first.
    Anyway, what do I need to do for his legs and eye?
    I already know how feed squirrels and such (rescued one squirrel after hurrican Ike), so I just need to know what to do under these circumstances.

Thanks.

Buddy'sMom Guest

Default Re: Found baby squirrel w/2 broken legs and cut eye

First, keep him warm and quiet, in a box with tshirts, fleece or something like that (not towels) and with a heating pad on low under half. If you don't have a heating pad, a rice buddy (fill a sock 2/3 with rice, beans or lentils, knot the end and microwave till very warm but not tooo hot).

I know you said you have experience from Ike ( and for whatever rescues you cared for!), but since you didn't mention whether you got the info HERE, pls bear with us if we repeat what you already know. This thread gives you all the basics you need: http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=11782

He may be dehydrated and (once warmed up!) should be given Pedialyte or homemade hydration fluid (recipe is in the thread I linked for you).

As to his injuries -- he should be seen by a rehabber or vet. Cat saliva can be deadly to a squirrel, so even if you don't see evidence of a cat bite, it would be best for him to get antibiotic to be safe. In addition, he may benefit from antiinflammatory meds and/or pain meds. Do you need a rehabber contact? I can find some local (Houston) contact numbers for you. Also, we have an excellent rehabber further east (north of Beaumont), in case you can't find someone closer.

Try to find a container that he cannot get out of but can get enough air. Put him in a quiet, dark area of the house. If you have a heating pad, put that under 1/2 the container (so he can move if he gets too hot).

A rehabber should be on soon - they monitor the thread - to tell you what to do next. If it is a while longer before they post, do you have any pedialyte and small syringe you could use to rehydrate if necessary?

Also, cat saliva is POISON to a squirrel - do you think any got in the eye cut? I'm sorry I don't know the laws in your state, but if necessary would a vet visit be possible as he will probably need antibiotics.

Thanks for saving the little one and, again, a rehabber should be posting soon so sit tight and keep checking the thread!!

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

OOps, sorry for the post repeating what you said, BM, you're quick on the draw!

~ George Elliot

Buddy'sMom Guest

Great minds think alike, digi!

AutumnFair, here is contact information for two centers in Houston. I know that both took MANY hurricane rescues -- hopefully their busy-ness level has dropped and they could care for an injured baby. Or perhaps assist you in getting care and helping you take care of this baby (if you are willing and able).

The Wildlife Rehab and Education Center is open 7 days a week from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. and will take any native injured and orphaned wildlife. The WR&E Center is located at 7007 Katy Road, near the Houston SPCA. The phone number is 713-861-9453. For more information or to schedule an interview with Sharon Schmalz, call 713-.869-7722, Ext. 138, or 832.473.5647.

Houston SPCA, at 900 Portway Drive. http://www.houstonspca.org/ The Houston SPCA's Animal Response Disaster Hotline will be staffed from 10 am to 6 pm daily to field lost and found reports, rescue reports, and to offer animal related information. The number is 713-435-2990. The TOLL FREE number is 877-661-0161. Messages left after hours will be returned promptly the next morning.

EDIT: I see Lookmomchickens is on -- she is in your area and might be able to help you with logistics or contacts.

Where are you located in Tx? I myself am still unsure of the "laws" in Texas regarding these little fuzzbutts... everything I read is condraticting, but if there is anything I can do to help please let me know... I'm in Katy - West Houston - and proably have a vet out here that could help. He's treated all of my animals & livestock for years and is very good at "donating" help for educational purposes - teaching tech's and stuff. He's never turned an animal away. I've not had to take Ike there YET (hopefully never have too) but if I ever do he'll be the first person I call...

There are a few "true" exotic vets/squirrel/small animal vets in Houston, but again I'm not sure of the laws here and if they would take them and not return them...

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

But if you are close to the SPCA or Wildlife Rehab Center, that would probably be your best bet if we can't help you find a local rehabber.

I agree that immediate attention needs to be brought to his *ouchies* before something to severe develops...

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

Is there anyway you can post a picture?

I'm sure it would be VERY helpful to gather some opinions/options for this little guys recovery!

...sorry about so many posts! I'm a blondie so my thoughts tends to come in spurts!

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

AutumnFair2121 Guest

Thank you for the information.
    When I found my first squirrel, I did do a lot research on how to take care of squirrels. So, I know that cat saliva is vemonous to squirrels, which I told to my siblings.
    That's probably why they nearly "jumped" our cat when chasing him away from the squirrel.
    Anyway, I just gave him some Esbilac and right now he's curled up sleeping.
    I am trying to limit his movements so he doesn't damage his legs anymore than they already are.
    For lookmonchicken, I live in Houston, near the Galleria. I will try to take some pictures as soon as I find my camera and recharge it.
    I'll also see if I can take him to the vet either today or tomorrow.

Thanks.

P.S. What should I do about his eye?

Buddy'sMom Guest

Thanks for bearing with us on the information thing -- there is a lot of very bad info out there for squirrel care and so we wanted to make sure. It's great that you already had Esbilac! Pls also keep an eye on his hydration (you know the pinch test on back of neck?) -- if he was out where the cat could stalk him, he might have been without Mom for a few days and also needs some rehydration as well.

I'm not sure there is much we could tell you to do with his eye, though the rehabbers may have some ideas for you. Is there any active bleeding? The blood you described -- is it ON his eye (from bleeding nearby) or do you see blood INside, like his pupil has been damaged? This will help the rehabbers understand more so they can help you.

Also, does it look like it needs to be cleaned out? I am thinking it is possible he hit his face on a branch on his way down? And hurt his legs in the landing? That is, the cat might not have hurt him, simply found him. No way to tell, though.

The only thing you might be able to do is clean it with saline eye drops (just plain saline, not meds for "red eye"). But please DON'T do that unless one of the rehabbers advises it. If his eye is injured, he might need antibiotic eye drops -- which a vet can provide.

Keep checking back here for new posts! And ask any questions you may have -- even during the night there frequently are people here.

is the vet you're considering one you've used for squirrels before? is not....PLEASE verify before hand that the squirrel will not be euthanized unless there are NO OTHER options! same thing with wildlife centers and the spca.

Thanks for making that clear Frick!! You can never mention that enough...

Here's a list of Harris County Rehabbers in the area...

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild...&county=Harris

Maybe one of them has access to the meds the baby needs?? Or knows a vet they could take them too? I wouldn't turn the sq over to ANYONE unless you know you'll get her back or she will be taken care of and not put down.

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

AutumnFair2121 Guest

Hey everyone,
    I'm afraid I won't be needing anymore help.
    Little Dorian (the squirrel) died this morning his sleep. I found a nice box and buried him in the backyard.
    Thanks anyway for all the help and information, I really appreciated it. I'll keep it in mind if I ever find another hurt squirrel.

Thanks again.

jonmareymo Guest

I am so sorry about Dorian, I'm glad he got to die in a warm, soft place.

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

Thank you for trying to help the little sweetheart

I am so sorry about the little squirrel. Thank you for trying to help him

~ George Elliot

Better have to died with you in his sleep than at the paws or jaws of something that would prey on him!!! THANKS for helping him find peace!

Buddy'sMom Guest

I'm so sorry. RIP Dorian.

Thank you for being there to rescue him and making sure he spent his last hours safe and warm and loved, and with a full tummy. Dorian at least had the luck to have found his way to you for that purpose. It is a great gift to have given this little one.

RIP sweet Dorian.

Thank you for doing what you could.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.