Thread: Injured Squirrel - Can't Move back legs

cathead Guest

Default Injured Squirrel - Can't Move back legs

Hi - I found a squirrel in our yard today and he can't move his back legs.
    He won't let me near him and drags himself around. I can't afford a vet even if I could somehow catch him. I have called a couple of rehabbers on a list that was emailed to me by the state I believe but no response.
    It's starting to get dark out and he was last seen in some bushes. I had to shoo a cat away earlier. I tried giving him some bread but i don't know if he ate it. I just can't get close to him and feel I am doing more harm than good by stressing him out. I don't see how he can make it through the night being down on the ground. I am in Memphis, TN if anyone knows someone that can help him. Thanks.

foxsquirrels Guest

Default Re: Injured Squirrel - Can't Move back legs

Anyone in Tennessee??

foxsquirrels Guest

Can you try to catch him and put him in a box until we can find someone to help you? Keep him in a very quiet dark room with a blanket (not a towel, their nails get caught in the loops) to snuggle in to stay warm. A warm place will feel good to him.

Buddy'sMom Guest

I have a note here that TSB member Flyerluver is near Memphis and works for an exotic vet, so might be able to help. I'll send a PM and email and hope s/he will check in here.

Messages sent.

If you can catch him as foxsquirrels suggested, that would keep him safe and warm until help can be found. If he can't use his back legs, you should be able to get close enough to scoop him up with a blanket and put him in the box (or a cage or pet carrier, perhaps).

foxsquirrels Guest

If there is no one on here close to you let us know!

Tennessee, Central
    Tennessee, Central region (Chattanooga)..... 423-326-0228
    Debbie Lipsey, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator Wildlife Species: small mammals Tennessee, Central region, Davidson County (Joelton, just outside of Nashville).....
    615-299-9938

Denise Weyer (Outreach Coordinator), Walden's Puddle Wildlife Rehabilitation Center Wildlife Species: All native Tennessee wildlife except bats, skunks, adult white-tailed deer, and venomous reptiles
    Tennessee, Eastern
    Tennessee, Eastern region, Anderson County (Norris)..... 865-494-7922
    Connie Green, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator vacation@bellsouth.net Wildlife Species: small mammals and reptiles Specialty: flying squirrels Tennessee, Eastern region, Blount County (Maryville)..... 865-984-2435
    Kathryn Nowell, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator kmnowell@aol.com Wildlife Species: small mammals Tennessee, Eastern region, Carter County (Elizabethton)..... 423-474-6220
    Geri Wynn, (directore/rehabber) Wynn * Wood Wildlife Rehab wynnwood@usit.net Wildlife Species: Mammals, songbirds, raptors, reptiles, whitetail deer Comments: Veterinary Tech Tennessee, Eastern region, Hamblen County (Talbott)..... 423-587-9043
    Robin Ballard, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator Wildlife Species: small mammals (no birds or reptiles) Tennessee, Eastern region, Jefferson County (Dandride)..... 865-397-0672
    Phylis Rollins, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator phyliscritter@earthlink.net Wildlife Species: mammals including fox, coyote, muskrat, and beaver; all turtles; will accept non-releasable animals as space allows Tennessee, Eastern region, Jefferson County (New Market)..... 865-397-9540
    Lynne McCoy, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator Backwoodslynne@aol.com Wildlife Species: small mammals (no skunks), birds (songbirds and raptors), some turtles/snakes Comments: have extensive library and contacts for other species; can give public emergency care information until they can get animal to a licensed rehabilitator Tennessee, Eastern region, Knox County (Knoxville)..... 865-693-4295
    Rita Dietz, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator mDietz@knology.net Wildlife Species: small mammals Tennessee, Eastern region, Knox County (Knoxville)..... 865-690-6247
    Tissi Smith, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator tistn@aol.com Wildlife Species: opossums, grey squirrels, flying squirrels, mice Tennessee, Eastern region (Loudon)..... 865-755-1683 (cell)
    Ramona Chapman, Justus Rehabilitation Center RuAmustang@charter.net Wildlife Species: raptors, songbirds, mammals
    Tennessee, North Central
    Tennessee, North Central region (Hartsville)..... 615-374-2247
    Shades Of Mother Earth, Inc. some@isdn.net Tennessee, North Central region, Sumner county (Gallatin)..... 615-452-8017
    Lee Anne Faust (director), Tangled Wing Wildcare Conservancy, Inc. TWWildcare@aol.com Wildlife Species: mammals (do not accept deer, skunks, bats, coyotes) Specialites/Knowledge: education Comments: We are a 501(c)3 organization devoted to wildlife rehabilitation, wildlife education, and wildlife habitat protection.
    Tennessee, Northwest
    Tennessee, Northwest region, Henry County (Buchanan)..... 731-642-3755
    Dawn Myrick, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator myrick@hotmail.com Wildlife Species: Specialize in orphaned animals
    Tennessee, Southeast
    Tennessee, Southeast region, Hamilton County (Chattanooga)..... 423-580-1043
    Sheryl Leitner, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator shryllei@aol.com Wildlife Species: small mammals
    Tennessee, Southwest
    Tennessee, Southestern region, Shelby County (Collierville)..... 901-488-0815
    Danya W. Luckett, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator danya@welchrealty.net Wildlife Species: Most small mammals. Specialties/Knowledge:</I> Specialize in squirrels(grey,fox,flying),raccoons, deer, and rabbits. Tennessee, Southwestern region, Shelby County (Millington)..... 901-876-5045
    Patty Varner, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator munzoo1@aol.com Wildlife Species: Mammals (excluding skunks) Specialties: Squirrels, Raccoons Comments: Will try to get you in touch with someone who can help you if I can not.
    Tennessee, Western
    Tennessee, Western region (Ripley)..... 901-635-6013
    Tommy Williams, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency joln83@msn.com

cathead Guest

Thanks for the help. I spotted him awhile ago. I guess he drug himself along the side of our house, under a gate and into the backyard. I went to get a box in hopes if I fixed it up he might go in there as I had cat food and water but when i returned he was not to be found. There are lots of leaves he could hide under but anytime i have come near he's scoots away. I can't believe he could move so fast on 2 legs.
    I wish I had found this board earlier.
    Thanks again.

cathead Guest

That is a list I looked at earlier - there are only 2 on there and they aren't that close and one I had called with no response. I guess there is nothing to be done tonight. I have to keep my baby granddaughter tommorow but will try to look for him again then.

Buddy'sMom Guest

In the meantime, have you tried any of these numbers? They are for western TN, but even if they aren't super close, perhaps they would have other contacts for active rehabbers in your area.

Tennessee, Southestern region, Shelby County (Collierville)..... 901-488-0815
    Danya W. Luckett, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
    danya@welchrealty.net
    Wildlife Species: Most small mammals.
    Specialties/Knowledge: Specialize in squirrels(grey,fox,flying),raccoons, deer, and rabbits.

Tennessee, Southwestern region, Shelby County (Millington)..... 901-876-5045
    Patty Varner, licensed home wildlife rehabilitator
    munzoo1@aol.com
    Wildlife Species: Mammals (excluding skunks)
    Specialties: Squirrels, Raccoons
    Comments: Will try to get you in touch with someone who can help you if I can not.

Tennessee, Western region (Ripley)..... 901-635-6013
    Tommy Williams, Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency
    joln83@msn.com

You may have better luck with throwing a blanket/beach towel over him to catch him. However, you have to be accurate, because if you miss and he gets away, he will not allow you to do it again.

Sure hope you find him before a predator does. Good luck.
    Virginia Licensed Wildlife Rehabilitator (formerly Georgia)

cathead Guest

Hi - I just had a response from someone on another list. She said if I could catch it to bring it to the vet where she works. I hate that I couldn't find it before it got dark. If the little guy makes it through the night I will try to find and catch him in the morning.
    I really appreciate all the advice

I live in tennessee but 350 miles away in chattanooga area. I will see what I can do if you catch him but it a long way away...

I'll be praying that the little one stays safe and that you can find him in the morning - thanks so much for being there for him!

"Animals are such agreeable friends...
    They ask no questions, they pass no criticisms."

~ George Elliot

Sciurus1 Guest

Am I to assume rightly you put catfood out for the squirrel? If so, know they do not eat it, and would find the smell offensive, and be driven away by it. Cherries are more like what might attrack them, or a piece of apple, or the nut meat from a walnut, or pecan, which more than likely they would stop to eat if left for them.

If you catch him, don't feed him then, but as FS shared put him in a covered box he cannot get out of, but that has air holes at least. Put a heating pad halfway under the container, so that the squirrel can crawl off if he gets too hot. Place the box in a quiet secure dark place away from pets and children, and noise, while you call the rehabber.

FlyerLuver Guest

I did get your message this morning, so sorry I wasn't anywhere near my computer till this morning but if you do catch him you can call my work at collierville animal clinic on hwy 72 and we will be glad to help the little guy.

Thanks for caring

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerLuver
    I did get your message this morning, so sorry I wasn't anywhere near my computer till this morning but if you do catch him you can call my work at collierville animal clinic on hwy 72 and we will be glad to help the little guy.

Thanks for caring
    Thank you for offering to help, FlyerLuver!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

cathead Guest

Well I got up this morning prepared to try to catch & transport but I cannot find him. Double checked twice.
    Thanks so much everyone. At least I will be much better prepared if this should happen again. And I want to give thanks to the unsung heroes here who give of their time and resources to help our furry friends!

Buddy'sMom Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FlyerLuver

Thanks for caring
    Flyerluver!!

Cathead, you are doing great -- and help is available for you, if you can capture the squirrel. Pls don't give up checking for it and keeping an eye out. If he has found a good hiding place he might lay low for a while. Perhaps put a dish of water where you last saw him so he doen't have to go far for that. They can go a few days without eating. Also, squirrels have rather remarkable healing ability and sometimes they heal better than might be thought (I think that is a bit of a long shot here, but still possible and we can hope)

If you DO see him again --- if you are uncomfortable with the scooping-up-in-a-blanket idea, please know that squirrels do NOT generally have any diseases at all that can be transmitted to humans. This one is injured, not sick. It will be very scared of you, but not vicious. (Having said that, they DO have very sharp claws that can scratch and their teeth are sharp -- but, from experience, a bite heals very quickly )

If the idea still makes you nervous, HavAHeart traps may be available to borrow from a local animal shelter or perhaps even clinics (?). Also, they can be purchased at many Home Depots or Lowes or similar stores. If you decide to use a trap, come back here for some pointers in how to set it up and bait it -- squirrels are wary of "new things" and are fast learners -- if the trap springs but doesn't catch him, you might not get another chance.

Mountain Mama is offline Her Royal Highness Administrator

I had a finder call me about a paralyzed squirrel back during the spring. She took her to my husband's office in a box. When she opened the box to peek at her, Hokea shot out of that box and straight up a tree, dragging her legs behind her. Don't discount the thought that your squirrel may be hiding in a tree somewhere. They are surprisingly agile just on their 2 front legs.

~like a small grey teapot sits the squirrel ~wolfe

Any update, have you found the little guy yet?

Tum Tum & Grizzly Sometimes Amazing Things Come In Little Bundles Of Fur

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.