Thread: Poo going soft?

Melissa Guest

Default Poo going soft?

Not sure if this is an issue. I lost one squirrel just recently and this is his brother, Thunder. He's a black squirrel (grey) and estimated 12-13 weeks old. He paces his cage a lot, but it's only been a few days that he's lost his littermate so we're not sure what to think of his behavior. It took him a day before he'd eat again, but now he seems back up to full appetite.

We've been giving him a variety of greens, (romaine, spinich, radiccio and endive) a slice of carrot and cut up apples pretty regulary, adding variety with avacado, other fruits and things like squash and such. I've ordered the rodent pellets mentioned elsewhere on this board, but we had made a batch of some nut balls found elsewhere on the internet and that has a lot of vitamins/minerals -including calcium, added. He gets one once per day. I found the recipe here and will make those squirrel blocks very soon.

Anyway, reason for my post is this. Since yesterday, his poo has gone from black ricey-looking pellets to a slightly browner-than-black and softer. Not runny, just...clayish (but dark, dark brown). I noticed it when he went on top of his little house and then smeared it with his feet.

Is this a concern? Last thing I need is for this baby's health to go.

Default Re: Poo going soft?

Melissa it doesn't sound like anything serious but keep an eye on it and reduce the amount of fruit he's getting every day. Squirrels don't need a lot of fruit, and in fact don't eat it regularly in the wild. Do make some squirrel blocks as per our recipe here because most squirrels love them and they are nutritionally excellent. How is Thunder's coat? Any change?
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Melissa Guest

No change in coat at all.

I've just printed the squirrel block recipe and will stop by the health food store/vitamin store tonight and see if I can't get everything I need. Thanks!

Jackie in Tampa is offline Left TSB to start her own Board

I hope you are not giving scalded milk!? We recommend esbilac
    I try to keep mine on formula as long as I can. This ensures the proper vitamins! In addition to veggies and blocks
    Change in diet can affect poops too.

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

I am pretty sure they are talking about the nut balls from the idiot who also recommends the scalded milk.

Heres your solution, throw out the nut balls, stop with the fruit. Get rodents blocks and leave them in there only and give nothing else (at all except water) until he starts eating them. Once he starts eating them ( may take a few days but he won't starve himself) then you can add veggies later in the day.
    Fruit is not needed, it should be given in moderation as a treat after the healthy stuff is consumed. Same with nuts. They should only be given as a treat later in the evening after everything healthy has been consumed.
    The girl who recommended the nut balls is a nut herself and has killed many squirrels with her so called awesome recipes and education.

You can go to any pet store and find lab or rodent blocks if yours haven't come in the mail yet. You can also buy some acidophilus powder or pill , crush it up add it in water and syringe it to your squirrel. It will help with the lose stool. ( this can be found in the vitamin section of grocery stores or health stores or in the refridge section as well) Make sure you get 1 billion per count not million.

And yes if he is still drinking formula use esbilac not milk.

Melissa Guest

He hasn't had formula for awhile. After he refused it for a solid week, I didn't offer it any longer, but will try this evening. Both of the squirrels were given esbilac powder until they started eating solid foods, and Thunder's poo has always been normal. Nothing had really changed diet wise--only thing I can think of was the passing of his brother.

That scalded milk concept scared me, and all the vets around here had recommended the Esbilac, so I stuck with that. Glad I did. But after I realized the dangers of the calcium deficiency, I found that nut ball recipe and made a batch. I've said over and over I wish I would have found this site in August, when I had these two tiny babies with their eyes closed!! But now I'm here and determined to do this as right as I can. I'll watch his poo to make sure it doesn't change colors or get runny and look for those rodent blocks to arrive. And get the ....(looks back to get the name...) acidophilus you recommended too.

Thanks for all your help!

ShesASquirrelyGirl Guest

If he is already weaned from Esbilac you don't have to offer any but you can if you want.
    We can tell you are a caring mommy =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.