Thread: Fresh (green) picked black walnuts

Question Fresh (green) picked black walnuts

I'm on vacation here in Biloxi MS and while sitting out back I noticed a bunch of grey squirrels (I was sq watching ) picking the green black walnuts off of the tree and not even touching the ones on the ground.. I brought Ike with me on vacation an he loves it here and adjusted very well!! I searched the tree and found a bundle of walnuts and picked them. Could I give these to Ike as-is? I saw all of the other squirrels picking them apart and discarding the green outer shell... and enjoying the heck out of the inside goodies!!

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

Default Re: Fresh (green) picked black walnuts

Yes. I give Fallen the pignut hickory with the green outer husk and he has to get that off and then buzz saw the shell to get to the goodies. It's good for their teeth. I'm not sure how old your squirrel is but if to young he most likely won't be able to get to the goodies without some help but you could leave one in his cage for him to gnaw on for practice. Remember nuts in moderation

OK thanks!! Ike's about 14 weeks and he won't eat a pecan unless it's in the shell... He gets about 1-2 nuts per day and not until he eats his veggies...

Jessica & JuJu (aka Ike)

Momma's Doodle Bug ^

"The winds of Heaven blow between the ears of a horse"

The black walnuts are encased in a green tennis ball size pod...the squirrels break them open to get the walnut out....if you do break some open make sure you wear gloves or shoes you don't care about because the juice in the pods stain everything and does not wash off, it wears off in time.....the ones on the tree are fine as is on the ground...
    To all my babies past and present..
    Thank you for showing me how to love
    and be loved unconditionally....
    RIP Timothy

Ike is very handsome,

Pa. licenced Rehabber

acorniv Guest

Since squirrels have been husking nuts since time began, they are certainly an okay thing for them. The one thing I do is try not to bring in moldy ones. Though it has crossed my mind that these are squirrel cheese

Has anyone looked into exactly what (nutritionally speaking) is in the husks of nuts? Especially black walnuts, which have a thick pulpy husk? It frustrates me that the only thing we find rating son are what humans also eat.

I'm a wood carver and have several friends who make Miss Hickory dolls. I send them hickory nuts, and have Schmootie husk them for me. She enjoys earning her keep in this way and does an excellent job