Thread: Too many HHB's for one big happy squirrel?

Default Too many HHB's for one big happy squirrel?

My "big buddy" LOVES HHBs. While I am trying to wean her off of all human provided food, I am not yet down to just 2 per day. Instead, I am providing 2-6 depending on many factors. If one gigantic squirrel eats 6 HHBs a day, is that bad?

Of course, the goal is to get her down to 2 maximum (per day) and then to none. Currently, I usually provide 2 in the morning, and sometimes 2 in the afternoon as well. If the weather is terrible, then up to 6 (and that's it).

PS - "Big Buddy" is the size of a cat. Very large. (And very cute when she climbs trees. It's amazing those little branches can hold her up!)

Default Re: Too many HHB's for one big happy squirrel?

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky1 View Post
    My "big buddy" LOVES HHBs. While I am trying to wean her off of all human provided food, I am not yet down to just 2 per day. Instead, I am providing 2-6 depending on many factors. If one gigantic squirrel eats 6 HHBs a day, is that bad?
    Yes, 6 is TOO many HHB's. A larger squirrel can have 3 per day but I would not exceed that. Keep in mind that HHB's are a supplemental block. They have concentrated minerals and vitamin in them. Because of this, they should be limited and not fed free choice. A squirrel receiving 6 HHB's per day is being over supplemented. Over supplementation is not good either.

You could offer 'other' rodent block free choice. I give my wild squirrels WildBites. They also get produce like avocado, acorn squash, butternut squash, sweet potato, corn and fruit. In the spring you can cut back on your offerings but I would cut back on the HHB's now. In the spring you need to encourage your friend to forage for food. If you provide it all, your friend won't forage.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to HRT4SQRLS:

island rehabber (02-26-2016), Nancy in New York (02-26-2016), Rocky1 (02-26-2016)

Default Re: Too many HHB's for one big happy squirrel?

Thanks, I suspected that 6 was way too many. Just 2 per day for now, then 1 per day... Then hopefully wild food will suffice.

If there's a terrible storm and an exception is in order, I might just cut up a sweet potato, which is always popular.