Thread: squirrels behavior getting more aggressive Help!

linz2491 Guest

Default squirrels behavior getting more aggressive Help!

I already posted earlier i need this little girl out of my house. SHe bit my 2 1/2 year old an hour ago and just came onto the bed my son was laying on and took a chunk out of his hand. I don't kn ow what to do! she is going outside to collect stuff for her nests in the house so she has access to the outside there is even and old animal hole in my backyard she has played in before. Help!

Johnb Guest

Default Re: squirrels behavior getting more aggressive Help!

Oh for sure, I know this first hand, any oils, gels, or other scented products also can cause this, I had skin cream on my hand one time and a squirrel that never bit me for over a year went crazy over it and bit me 3 times before I could move, and kept coming after me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammas Baby
    Does she have nuts or food buried in any of her nest? If she does, I would start off by removing them. Do you have a cage, or a room, you could keep her in, until we can find you help? I sure wouldn't let her roam free and hurt people.

Do you have any "perfumie" products (baby powder, sun block, baby lotion, etc) on you or your children, I would wash them off, and not use them for a while. Sometimes squirrels will attack when they smell scented products.

linz2491 Guest

i actually meant she bit both my kids unprovoked and nothey didnt have anything on their bodies. she is building yet another nest in the bedroom they were in. i have to wait till she is out of her mod till i can put her in her cage. then she crieswhen she is in there. and she has food everwhere! i forgot a big bag of amonds on the table yesterday and got home 2 hours later and there were like 5 left! i find food everwhere!

Hang in there....I may have found someone to take your squirrel and prepare her for release on a wildlife sanctuary. I'm impatiently waiting for a call back, you guys are 3 hours behind me in time.

Sciurus1 Guest

Thanks for coming to the rescue!

I spoke with a rehabber at this wildlife center, they will take her. The center closes at 7 pm.

Lindsay Wildlife Museum
    1931 First Avenue
    Walnut Creek, CA 94597

Phone Number
    (925) 935-1978

Hi, were you able to contact the center yet? Before I called yesterday, I sent an email to one of the wildlife supervisors and she just responded. Here is her reply. If you've not called yet and want to, ask for her.

Yes we can take the ground squirrel for evaluation and release. It
    would have to be brought into us.

Sandy
    Wildlife Supervisor

Sandy emailed me back a second time and said that they would evaluate her for release and put her in with other ground squirrels to socialize. They have others her same age. If she's too tame for release they could keep her as an educational NR squirrel.

Not trying to push you to decide, just passing along the positive info.

Just to let the TSB members know so they don't worry.... linz & I have been in contact by pm today.

Sciurus1 Guest

Sounds just wonderful! this couldn't be a better solution to this members request for help for a solution to this problem.

Linz safely took her frisky ground squirrel to the center yesterday. They are wonderful there and plan to socialize and release her with others her age or keep her as an educational NR if she decides she's not the social type with other squirrels.

Sciurus1 Guest

I'm so very glad for this little grounder. Good Work LynninIN !
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.