Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Baby squirrel vomiting!

Default Help! Baby squirrel vomiting!

New squirrel vomiting...never had this! Got her today. Family had her for 2 days,fed her cow's milk once. Then Esbilac liquid form. Got her today. She is tiny. About 51/2 weeks and weighs 100 grams. She is very active,but she vomited for someone at the center and now for me. She has done 5 cc of powder formula esbilac diluted.Has anyone had this happen? She appears to be a runt gray squirrel. Sorry if my post is poorly written...very tired!Thank you guys

Default Re: Help! Baby squirrel vomiting!

I would just give Pedialyte for the next few feedings to flush out cows milk.
    Then start diluted Esbilac.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

squirrelsrule&bunniestoo is offline Licensed rehabber specializing in squirrels and bunnies, Ohio

I see you got the little guy . I would agree with Rippie, feed some pedialyte for a few feedings to flush her system. Then do you have vital HN, since they are scrawny? That would be easier for them to digest. Or ensure I think is good too. I got 2 scrawny girls from the wildlife center a few weeks ago that were the same age and weight (foxers) and they are both doing GREAT now. Good luck with her, I hope she stops vomitting soon. Maybe is there some antinausia meds. that are safe for squirrels too? Just a thought. I have never had a squirrel that threw up.
    SQUIRRELS RULE AND BUNNIES TOO!

Loopy Squirrel Guest

Watch them carefully. Did they vomit right after feeding or several minutes after feeding? Rodents normally do not vomit. I had a situation this year w/ a suspected virus that involed vomitting. The squirrels were all at least five weeks of age when it began happening. We did every test under the sun from stool checks to xrays and nothing showed. This spread like wildfire through out my whole nursery. I would do what everyone else has suggested w/ the pedialyte to clear their system but if you have other squirrels keep them in quarantine until your sure it is diet related. If it is a virus it has to run its course. Watch for aspiration pneumonia due to the vomitting. Has anyone had anything like this this year? As for meds to stop nausea there are but you need to get it from the vet. Reglan works pretty good to clear out the digestive track fast and helps w/ vomitting. I don't know about over the counter meds though.

On second thought one of my squirrels did throw up for me last year (about the same age as your squirrel) Gabe suggested feeding smaller amounts & just more often,
    It did help!! Someone may have been in a hurry with her?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

The folks that found her kept her an additional day-so i do worry about some aspiration that may have occured. I gave her some antimone tablet that I give all of my squirrels and bunnies on arrival just in case. She is a peppy little thing. She gets stiff, makes vomit movements and I believe she is swallowing it. Thank you for the wonderful advice. This is only my 4th season doing this-so all advice is appreciated.

I know this may sound stupid but how about the nipple, if its the elongated one..maybe its gaging her?

Pa. licenced Rehabber

She does it a minute after the feeding is over-so that's out.

squirrelybop I had one little girl squirrel last year (Sylvia) who would barf immediately after eating if I overfed her. And it could be only a matter of 1cc too much! Try cutting back on her amounts a little bit (maybe feed her a bit more frequently with smaller amounts). In Sylvia's case I had her two siblings who wanted more and more every day at each feeding, so I would assume that Sylvia could take the same amounts. Never assume.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Gotcha...will feed less each time no matter how hungry she is-and see how she does.thanks

Update...she has watery stools with traces of blood in them. She is taking 1cc of pedialyte every other hour. She appears okay otherwise.I have contacted another rehabber friend to get her input as well. She is keeping the pedialyte down okay.:wott

Buddy'sMom Guest

Was she the only one in the litter that came into the center? Could she have gotten into something poisonous? Did the folks that brought her in have any digestive issues when they found her, or after she was in their care?

Is she too young for the charcoal they sometimes use for vomiting animals? I know she's a little baby

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to smoknbunny from:

Clare (07-22-2020)

Loopy Squirrel Guest

I have used activated charcoal before in little babies for bloat when the baby gas drops don't work. It shouldn't hurt the baby and if there is a toxin it will help absorb it. Do you or your rehabber friend have a vet contact? I would get a fecal done to see if there is a unusual bacteria or an overgrowth in the stool. If you have access to antibiotics I would start some SMZ (Bactrim/Septra). Is the baby tremmoring, shaking, drooling, or doing any kind of tic movement? Is it small streaks of blood in the stool or larger amounts?

I'd have to agree with LS - if she has blood in her stool sounds like a good idea to get it tested for abnormal bacteria. Antibiotics sound like a good idea. You can add some beneficial bacteria to her food or yogurt with acidophilus (make sure it is the kind with active cultures). A bacterial infection can take hold of a tiny baby pretty quickly so as soon as possible.

18. Serious fuzzy thank you's to smoknbunny from:

Clare (07-22-2020)

Sciurus1 Guest

I thought I would just share that Benbac is an over the counter source for good bacteria; comes in a convenient syringe to use. It has a corn base that squirrels tend to like.

The update: She has watery yellowish stool, no more blood. She seems great in every other way! I know the people that turned her in had given her a couple feedings with cow's milk. I do have a huge supply of Benebac that she has been getting now as well. I wonder if the cow's milk is still making it's way through her system after 4 days?

Loopy Squirrel Guest

It really should be out of her system by now. I would start slowly w/ diluted esbilac.

skye Guest

How is the little one doing today? I pray things are better and sending best wishes your way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast