Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help please! Found a tiny baby squirrel today-

rtorres73 Guest

Default Help please! Found a tiny baby squirrel today-

HELP! I am brand new here- just found a baby squirrel hours ago and need info. My cat had him but he is not injured at all. I have raised puppies and reptiles and some other small creatures from birth- but do not have experience with squirrels- I left emails and messages for local rehabers on list- haven't heard from anyone yet. I have kitten milk here from trying to raise abandoned hedgehogs- Considering that ended up in a tearful heartbreak I want to make sure this little fellow gets properly cared for. Would kitten replacement milk be suitable?
    I don't know where Mommy Squirres would be...we have lots of trees in my yard- and ow it's late and cold- so I would appreciate any help you might offer-
    I have him comfy and safe. with a heat pad on one side of his box. Untill I hear from a rehabber I need to know what else to do. Feed him? - I know how to stimulate hedgehogs to urinate etc.- sounds the same- Should I feed him and stimulate him to potty through the night ? He has closed eyes and very little fur- Justthe start of a furry tail. I think it is a red squirrel? don't know the differences - I will check back soon for help- thanks, Raquel

squirrel princess Guest

Default Re: Help please! Found a tiny baby squirrel today-

Someone will be here to help but you do need Esibilac puppy formula and syringes to feed. They may have you start it out on pedialite so just hang on....

Someone will be on soon to help! Hang in there and keep the baby warm. Fuzzy blanket like fleece, no towels. Warming the baby up is the first step. Test for dehydration and gently pinch a little of the loose skin - if it stays tented that means dehydration.

Glad we're not gunfighters in the old west Gamma - you beat me to it again.
    Raquel - follow Gammas advice

rtorres73 Guest

Ok- I think it was well taken care of till now- I mean- seems healthy and not dehydrated as far as I can tell- I have been reading old threads to catch me up on the procedure. I do have a vet appointment in the morning for my dog so I will probably ask if I can bring him in too- Looks like a boy... So I guess I am in for a long night...I will start with fluids to be safe and wait to hear from someone. Thanks for the quick response! I hope I can get it to someone who knows how to do this correctly.

TexanSquirrel Guest

Good luck with the little one!

hey there, thanks for saving this baby!

heat is first- never feed a cold baby. initially, you should check for wounds, parasites (fleas, maggots that look like tiny white grains of rice), and poop. as soon as the baby poops, please tell us what it looks like. we're poop fiends!

hydration is second- good plan to start with that. warmed pedialyte is best. you can hydrate for a full 24 hours with pedialyte, but beyond that could be too much.

food is third- powdered esbilac formula. i would start with a 4 parts hot/warm water to 1 part powder ratio.

feeding and stimulation isn't necessary through the night; simply stimulate after every feeding/hydration.

we will work on finding you a rehabber. in the meantime, if you have a gram scale, could you please tell us the baby's weight in grams?

welcome to the board!
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

rtorres73 Guest

I am going to go weigh him. Do I need to feed through the night then? It is not a "pinkie" so much- I mean- I do see pink- but it is just getting fur. I will be back to tell you how big. I will also let you know when I see poo I have a vet appointment in the morning for my dog- go figure! so I will ask if Ican bring him intoo and see what they can tell me. I don't have puppy milk on hand- or pedialyte- so I will probably use the formula for tonight (recipe given on board) I hope that will be ok for a night-I'll be back soon....

try the following links for rehabbers;

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactN.htm#ny

http://www.nyswrc.org/counties.htm

good luck with this!
    :bounce2thundersquirrel:bounce2

rtorres73 Guest

Hi- back again-
    He's 25 grams- and just had a bit of water/sugar/salt mixture as posted on board for replacement pedialyte.
    I am already getting attached as I knew I would so I will do my best here! I hope there is a rehab person near by - I will be upset if something happens to him.
    I am interested in finding out about becoming one in the future- we always talk about it since we raise lots of critters in our home -even unusual ones. I really appreciated the link you sent me Gamma very helpful for age and instructions. It looks to me like he's about 3-4 weeks old? I will see if I can post a pic when I get the rest of my stuff together. First things first- he's had a bit to drink- about 3/4 cc. He's warm and happy in his box. He hates being put on his back to rub his belly and stimulate movements though. I can't say I have seen pee or poo yet. But his belly is not very full looking at all. He's healthy looking but definitely not much of anything to his belly. I think I will worry if I go another couple drinks with no wee. Let me know if there is anything else to get me through the night- otherwise I will let you know how it went in the morning! (or during one of my nightly wake up calls)

FLUFFYTAILNUT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by rtorres73
    Hi- back again-
    He's 25 grams- and just had a bit of water/sugar/salt mixture as posted on board for replacement pedialyte.
    I am already getting attached as I knew I would so I will do my best here! I hope there is a rehab person near by - I will be upset if something happens to him.
    I am interested in finding out about becoming one in the future- we always talk about it since we raise lots of critters in our home -even unusual ones. I really appreciated the link you sent me Gamma very helpful for age and instructions. It looks to me like he's about 3-4 weeks old? I will see if I can post a pic when I get the rest of my stuff together. First things first- he's had a bit to drink- about 3/4 cc. He's warm and happy in his box. He hates being put on his back to rub his belly and stimulate movements though. I can't say I have seen pee or poo yet. But his belly is not very full looking at all. He's healthy looking but definitely not much of anything to his belly. I think I will worry if I go another couple drinks with no wee. Let me know if there is anything else to get me through the night- otherwise I will let you know how it went in the morning! (or during one of my nightly wake up calls)
    With a warm.. wet... tissue...PUFFS...try wiping over his business..and BUM..stroking all directions..like all the corners of a snow flake...
    To The Squirrel Board
    Rachel n Bean

i just got home and picked up rtorres' phone call to me -- sorry I missed you! If you see this message you can call me up until midnight.....or Private Message me here on TSB. Your best bet is to find a local rehabber, and upstate NY is full of them ...but feel free to call or PM me in the meantime. Good luck with that baby!!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

rtorres73 Guest

Well Barb is not taking any more this season...her phone answering service has a message stating to find someone else. I have tried a couple other emails found on the list- I will keep looking and as for today- I plan on getting him some Puppy replacement milk and asking my vet for advice. I have to work but I will be close so I will come here for lunch and try to make my day end early! I wish I didn't have so much scheduled right now because I have no problem taking care of him- I just will be devestated if I can't be here enough for him- It's a bit cool out this morning- shouldbe a ice day though- Should I put him out on our upper deck to see if his mother can find him? I have no idea where exactly he came from....I would love to see him make it- and back to his mom would be great....sigh....I will be back!

If you put him out on the deck, he needs to be in a box with a heat source to keep him warm, if mama doesn't come back in a few hours, I say 2- 3 hours, then he needs to be taken care of, a rehabber located. I personally would not leave him out on the deck if no one there is able to watch from a secure distance just to make sure a animal of prey doesn't get to him first.

Somebody else, rehabber or one with more experience than I, may have a different opinion or a better suggestion.

Abacat Guest

I sent you a PM, If I can help let me know...

rtorres73 Guest

THANK YOU SHARON!
    Just to update everyone who has been so helpful and thoughtful...Sharon contacted me and I just met with her to give her little "Squirt" - I was calling him Little Fella- but my kids want to call him Squirt because he is a little tiny guy.
    I am happy to say he is in more capable hands now. I was really feeling attached and wishing I could take him on- but with three dogs (one only 14 weeks old) a cat, lizards, hedgehogs and I guess my husband just ordered a whole bunch of chickens to add to our mini farm like family- I just didn't think I could be there for this little guy like I should. I was more concerned with him making it - healthy and happy - to an age when he can be released back into the trees!
    Sharon was so great to meet me half way and take him after only one conversation! He is a little dear and I know Sharon will keep me - and all of us- posted on his growth and condition. He seems to have a good start- and I would have loved to keep him here and raised him a bit but I would have hated to see anything go wrong while under my care also.
    So thank you to ALL OF YOU OUT THEREthat care for these lost babies.
    Ironically we have quite a bit of damage this year from squirrel nests in our garage and roof...but that little fuzzy baby deserved help and caring. Thank you so much Sharon! & thank you all who helped me find her!!! The sqirrels out there are lucky to have so many people watching out for them!!! Sincerely, Raquel mjs

Way to go Raquel - if you are absolutely certain you want to raise one yourself I'm sure you could do it (especially with such a great support group) but if you don't have the time, then you positively made the best decision for the little baby. He's going to do great and he has you to thank!!! Thank you for saving him!
    Sounds like you have a bunch of critters that you already take lots of care of!!!
    You are a teriffic person to save a squirrel!!!

Abacat Guest

Just want to say Squirt is all settled in. I'll do my best to look out for him. He sure is a sweetie.
    Raquel and her family did a wonderful job with him. Thank you so much for helping Baby Squirt.
    I'll keep you posted, Raquel.

Can't wait to hear how he's doing!!

skye Guest

God Bless You Raquel for helping this little fur baby out.
    Abacat I wish you the best of luck. Hope to hear and see pics of this little one as he grows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.