Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Parker's teeth

squirrel princess Guest

Default Re: Parker's teeth

How long before her teeth will have to be trimmed gain It is great she is starting to trust you maybe she was just upset that you thought she was a he before

My friend said the same thing!!! I know I get pissed when someone mistakes me for a guy (I'm very tall and sometimes have short hair)
    I'm not sure how long the new trim will last - the first one wasn't as close and I probably went too long before taking her back. This time the vet cut shorter and I'm going to keep an eye on her teeth.
    I don't want them getting so long that they undo any progress she's made.

Glad the vet visit went well, her mouth must feel so much better! Her teeth should never be so long that they show on the outside of her mouth. Good job on getting her taken care of!

Smoke I am just getting caught up with this tooth issue you are doing a great service to this squirrel ....aka you have saved her life.
    I have confidence you can learn how to trim the teeth yourself.
    We have to trim Peekies teeth every 10-14 days.
    If it goes beyond that we have watering eyes, nose and mouth infections.
    Its just easier to trim early.
    Take your time Smoke I bet you can do it, keep her eyes covered.
    After the first couple of times it gets easier.
    I seriously doubt this will ever correct itself..what are your long term plans?
    Just like Peekie my fear is babies ect...and not being able to get to them or them to us.

Pa. licenced Rehabber

I just finished reading all the post . My Stevo is 11 and goes to the vet about once a year to get his teeth trimed , my vet charges about 70$ and trims his nails. I am so thankful i have a great Vet! God Bless the all who take care of Gods creatures !!

I consider myself really lucky that Parker has such a great vet. I just wish it was a once/year trim for her. Her teeth grow so fast I think she may be looking at every 3wks or so. (I believe she isn't even a year old yet so maybe that's why seem to grow extra quick - plus she is such a good girl about eating all her food she probably gets lots of calcium) Someone earlier (sorry - my memory sucks so I have to go back and check) gave ne some great detailed instructions to do it myself. *gulp* I'll probably have to try. It's about $100 at the vet and I want to give her a trim as frequently as possible so there is a chance it will realign. (I doubt it but you never know )

GoldenEyes Guest

Do you think there is a rehabber in your area who has experience clipping squirrel's teeth who might be able to help you or know someone who could? Parker is worth every penny but I'm sure $100 every 3 weeks is going to burn a big hole in your pocket.

OK - big experiment here. I'm trying to put a link to some videos of Parker. One from after her first tooth clip when she really hated me and two from today now that she knows I bring her nuts.
    Let me know if it works...sorry the quality isn't great - looked better before the upload.
    http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ostclip003.flv
    http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ker5208003.flv
    http://s102.photobucket.com/albums/m...ker5208004.flv

squirrel princess Guest

Those were good quality wasn't bad at all. I love that sound he was making haven't heard that one from Bean or Chipper. what you think it means

Quote Originally Posted by don_lex@bellsouth.net
    Those were good quality wasn't bad at all. I love that sound he was making haven't heard that one from Bean or Chipper. what you think it means
    It means "why I'm gonna...let me out of here you, you, oooohhhhh....when I get outta here you're gonna be sooooooo sorry!!!!!!!!!" (and on and one for like half an hour and then every time I went near the cage, another half hour)
    Glad they worked - I was hoping they were clear enough to see how she grabs nuts sideways because of her teeth.

Those videos were fabulous I was so happy to see how she (I still think of her as a he But Parker fits her more than Parkette )

I loved watching her tongue when she was "yelling" at you

She seems so content in her cage in your house I think on some level she knows her life has been saved and she is thankful
    Tribute to my dear Wheezer:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfmpVgdwCi8
    New favorites squirrel video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu22KiUQFmY

I still call her Parker (finally getting used to the girl thing) - there is an actress names Parker Posey that I like so it works out. Besides it was Parker because she "parked" on the feeder so it can be a unisex name.
    I felt so bad about her tongue - it looked so funny sticking out but it just did that for a while. It seems to be back in her mouth now.
    She is definitely accustomed now - not necessarily friendly persay, more like well looks like I'm stuck here so you had better wait on me hand and foot lady!! A month or so ago if I was sitting on the bed and she saw me move she would run to the back of the cage and bark like mad, not only that but if I didn't move, she'd run to the front of the cage and bark like she KNEW I was there and she was trying to make me show myself. Now she lounges around on the shelf in her new cage like a queen and watches me OR runs to the bars and DEMANDS food. Then runs off really fast with it as you can see
    She really is a very controlling little squirrel
    I still can't get over how tiny she is. Wish we hadn't been so excited about taking pictures that we remembered to weigh her - duh!

Talking Re: Parker's teeth

FINALLY got to see the videos! Parker is such a sweetie. Love that tail. Did you say she was a foxer? I'm sorry, short-term memory. He is so social, I can't believe it.

She's a tiny little fox squirrel - I'm pretty sure she is a late summer baby. Social - she is DEMANDING.
    Glad you could see the videos. Headed over to the campus camper thread now...I hear there's some squirrel action

I hope you enjoy it. I sure did.
    I'm beginning to see that all squirrels are demanding. Guess I should rethink what I'm getting myself into.

Great pictures and cute squirrels They are demanding but it's OK because you fall in love with every single one you meet

I agree. I'm already a nutcase over all three of them! I'll bet there's plenty more where that came from though. It's sad, but by the end of this project, I'll probably have more squirrel friends than human friends.

Huh??? What about all the TSB folks
    Besides, I don't think you could ever have too many squirrel friends

Abacat Guest

Parker...How's your toofies doing?

Hi! Wonderful rescue story! I'm curious: what are you feeding Parker besides nuts? I'm still trying to get my wildies to take something other than nuts from me.
    Also, did you think of getting almonds in the shell for her? The shells are pretty hard, so it might help with her teeth. You might have to crack them a bit at first to show her what's inside and that it is worth getting to.

Also, I found that when Pookie Pie "scratches" me it is really mostly my fault, because I get nervous and pull my hand away. If you stay real still, no scratchies. Sometimes she wants to put her hand on mine and make sure it stays in place while she gets the treat. It's cute, but if I jerk back, I'm scratched.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast