PDA

View Full Version : Chocolate..is it harmful to squirrels?



Squirrelygirl63
12-26-2007, 07:23 PM
My Adoree and I just had our first food fight.. she got a bite size Snicker and it was a fight to get it away! She did not bite me but did a lot of serious growling before I got it away. She had only taken a tiny bite. Will she be OK? :dono
Thanks for any responses!

island rehabber
12-26-2007, 07:32 PM
She should be fine....p*ssed off at you, but fine :D. Since she only got a little bite. I think chocolate is certainly not good for squirrels but not as highly toxic to them as it is to dogs, for instance.

scoobysnack
12-26-2007, 08:11 PM
There is soooo little actual chocolate in a Snickers bar I really think she'll be fine. Now if it had been that extra dark stuff they have out on the market now, I'd worry more.

My Great Dane ate most of a bag of hershey's kissed with almonds the other night. Yes.. foil and all. She not only didn't die, she didn't even get a belly ache. That chocolate thing for dogs is highly blown out of proportion. I can't tell you how many chocolate thefts we've had over the years with our dogs. So far... none dead and none even sick.

TexanSquirrel
12-26-2007, 08:30 PM
But a few pieces of bacon nearly killed my dog. People food and pets don't mix, even though sometimes you think you're getting off easy.

I bet your little one will be fine. Next time try trading a nut for it - might help you keep your fingers!

Rhapsody
12-26-2007, 11:04 PM
Isn't is strange though - that while chocolate is not good for squirrel's they still seem to "GO NUTS" when they smell it...... and then we (the humans) have to fight to get it away from them all while protecting our fingers from sudden death.

I had to fight with Max to get a box of thin mints from him on Christmas morning when I let him out of his cage for a little bit before every one got up - it was a sight to see...... Max hanging on for dear life and me trying to shake a very determined and angry squirrel from the box that was still wrapped in plastic - which BTW Max got thru the plastic and the box with in 30 seconds or less and was going for the chocolate by the time I got to him.
:rotfl :rotfl

..... and Max tried to eat thru our stockings for the chocolate that was in there. :tilt

justmare
12-27-2007, 12:37 PM
A little chocolate isn't going to hurt a squirrel. Rachel eats it now and then. It isn't harmful to rats, so I can't imagine why it would be any different in a squirrel. Even dogs have to eat a LOT of it to be harmful to them!

There are two articles about chocolate on the RMCA website for anyone interested.

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/ratchoc.htm

http://www.rmca.org/Articles/chocolate.htm

Pam
12-27-2007, 01:58 PM
That chocolate thing for dogs is highly blown out of proportion. I can't tell you how many chocolate thefts we've had over the years with our dogs. So far... none dead and none even sick.
My husband had a very sick dog come into the clinic yesterday. He was weak, wobbly and vomiting. His heart rate was also elevated. My DH could "smell" chocolate. The dog had gotten into a child's Christmas stocking.


My Adoree and I just had our first food fight.. she got a bite size Snicker and it was a fight to get it away! She did not bite me but did a lot of serious growling before I got it away. She had only taken a tiny bite. Will she be OK? :dono
Thanks for any responses!
My pet squirrel loves chocolate. I don't give it to her, but she can find it if it is any where around. It has never hurt her, but it makes her hyper and drunk acting. :D Here's a picture of Roxy after a chocolate binge...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/pampray/Roxyandchocolate007.jpg

FLUFFYTAILNUT
12-27-2007, 02:32 PM
My husband had a very sick dog come into the clinic yesterday. He was weak, wobbly and vomiting. His heart rate was also elevated. My DH could "smell" chocolate. The dog had gotten into a child's Christmas stocking.


My pet squirrel loves chocolate. I don't give it to her, but she can find it if it is any where around. It has never hurt her, but it makes her hyper and drunk acting. :D Here's a picture of Roxy after a chocolate binge...

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o127/pampray/Roxyandchocolate007.jpg
OH MY GOD..that is so, adorable....I said..it out loud..OH MY GOD..that is....SO,(HIGH pitched)...CUTE!!!
YOu are..doing such a wonderful job with her!
Ive tried to give Bean a few bites..of my chocolate..he could care less??
:shakehead :Love_Icon :dono :wott

ravenlaws32
12-27-2007, 06:46 PM
great pic ,lol , yeah a little chocolate is not so evil, but always remember , any food can become dangerous , depending on how old or new it is , animals as well as humans can become toxic allergic to anything in a split second they have eaten for years .so just be watchful.

island rehabber
12-27-2007, 06:59 PM
great pic ,lol , yeah a little chocolate is not so evil, but always remember , any food can become dangerous , depending on how old or new it is , animals as well as humans can become toxic allergic to anything in a split second they have eaten for years .so just be watchful.

hi ravenlaws!! Nice to see you again! :wave123

4skwerlz
12-27-2007, 07:56 PM
We have an insane family Christmas tradition that someone buys one of those HUGE 10-pound boxes of cheap chocolates for everyone to pig-out on. The same words are always intoned as the box is first opened: "Expensive chocolates are too rich; you can't eat more than one. With the cheap stuff, you can eat a lot more!!!" (Hey, it says "Made with REAL CHOCOLATE" right on the front of the box!!!)

Anyhow, this year I bought the box and it was sitting, still shrink-wrapped in celophane, on the kitchen island, when Mr. Henry found it. Evidently, he smelled the "pecan clusters" inside and he was into that sucker in under 5 seconds!! Figured if I told everyone the box had been gnawed by rodents, I'd have them all to myself, but noooooo......

And my brother got all the chocolate covered cherries.....again...:shakehead

ELVIS
12-27-2007, 09:39 PM
our baby elvis has been known to eat a whole chips ahoy cookie and it didn't seem to bother him any:wave123