PDA

View Full Version : Formula for Baby Flying Squirrel - Help

adams29303
10-09-2006, 11:13 AM
My sister just found a flyer the other night & brought him to me. I have successuly raised several squirrels but i don't know a think about flyers. can you give help me with a formula recipe? I've tried the scaled milk formula, no luck. I have put pieces of apple, pecans, bread, sunflower seeds in his cage but no luck.

I called a rehab place this morning and the lady wanted me to meet her in a shopping mall and just had him over. (Something just didn't add up, so NO WAY) If I can't get him to eat today I will have to try another rehaber, but I really would like to keep him. I'm willing to make adjustments, after all raising baby gray squirrel is no picnic. (But well worth it) I have one now Mr. Wiggles how is just wonderful.

Any help would be much appreciated. HELP!!!

muffinsquirrel
10-09-2006, 12:12 PM
Hi. Feed him Esbilac puppy formula - the powdered form. You can get it at feed stores, your vet, or PrtSmart , Petco, and maybe other pet stores. DO NOT FEED THE SCALDED MILK FORMULA! I will go into why not in a later post - right now, let's just get this baby fixed up. Do you know how old he is? Since he has been without food and water for a while, start him off on pedialite. (Use a syringe without needle for all feedings.) Feed every 3 or 4 hours. After 24 hours, mix up some Esbilac (2 parts water to 1 part powder). Then take one part formula and mix with three parts pedialite and use that for a couple of feedings, Then mix it half formula/half pedialite for a few feedings, then 3 parts formula to 1 part pedialite for a few, then straight formula. Make sure that whatever you are feeding is warm - at least body temp. Test on your wrist, just like you would for a baby.

Make sure you keep the flyer quiet and warm. Put him in a cage or critter carrier with fleece or an old tee shirt for bedding. Put the box half on a heating pad set on low. Putting only half the box on the heating pad will give him a place to move to if he gets too warm. Do not use a towel or anything loosly woven for bedding - their toes and claws can get caught in it.

If he was caught by a cat, or has come into contact with a cat, you need to take him to the vet. He will need an antibiotic, as cat saliva can be deadly to squirrels.

Try to post some pictures if you can.

I will post some more information in a few minutes, but this should get you started.

muffinsquirrel

muffinsquirrel
10-09-2006, 01:38 PM
Please check the NFSA web site for a wealth of detailed information on flyers. (I post under the name Judy or Judy C. on there.) Pay particular to the Educational Information section, and the Raising and Feeding Pups thread under Ed. Info. Section.

http://www.nfsa.us/phpBB2/index.php?sid=487f6358aaec406b87225812d3c44f11

Good luck. Please email or PM me if you need any help. I raise flyers and have quite a few, including seven pups from 3 different litters right now.

muffinsquirrel

Cindy G
10-09-2006, 04:46 PM
Good luck on taking care of the baby. I had raised 3 from pinkies. If they are real young make sure you take a warm cotton ball and make them go potty. You don't want no back ups in them.

Secret Squirrel
10-09-2006, 05:20 PM
Hi Adam,
Just so you know....I meet lots of squirrel finders in the parking lots of stores. No problem!!! It's just a matter of convenience to get to the needy squirrel fast. Time is not your friend when it comes to a baby in dire straits. Emergency's call for fast action and it's quicker for me to drive 15 mins in one direction with all the supplies while the other folks drive 15 min to meet me. Most cases it's 30 mins drive or more.....and the clock is ticking.
Just so you know this is a common situation among rehabbers.:peace It's like a network to get to the ailing animal fast.:thumbsup