PDA

View Full Version : I think he is dying:(

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 01:25 AM
so i have a baby squirrel and he is laying on his side sleeping right now and sometimes he will cough he has been pooping but it has been a little runny i have feed him penut butter and formula he is about 5 to 8 weeks old when i touch him he seems stiff but he resist being pushed on his back (i was seeing if he was conscious ) please help i dont want tank to die please tell me he is ok and this behaior is normal when they sleep

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 01:43 AM
now he is pooping himself in his sleep his breathing is slower and he is almost completely unresponsive im afraid he wont be there when i wake up tomorrow

help me now please i dont want him to die i need help

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 01:53 AM
OK I am not an expert/ but I will try to get with someone that can help you....I promise to be Right back.......

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 01:55 AM
OK I am not an expert/ but I will try to get with someone that can help you....I promise to be Right back.......
thank you i have him on a heat source right now to see if that helps

i got him today could this be a mental issue?

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 01:59 AM
Yes heat/ make sure only on one side...have you been to the thread about food/emergency ???
thank you i have him on a heat source right now to see if that helps

SaraK
05-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Pinch the skin up at his shoulders to see if he is dehydrated - if the skin immediately goes back into place he isn't, but if it takes a while to go back down he is dehydrated. If so he needs Pedialyte - just start him of with 1mL/cc for now until someone can get you more information. And keep him warm.

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:00 AM
Yes heat/ make sure only on one side...have you been to the thread about food/emergency ???
no not yet i will go now

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:03 AM
It's not a good idea to feed him peanut butter, it's really not good for him. How long has he been eating peanut butter? It may be what's making him ill.

Pull the skin up at his shoulders to see if he is dehydrated - if the skin immediately goes back into place her isn't, but if it takes a while to go back down he is dehydrated. If so he needs Pedialyte - just start him of with 1mL/cc for now until someone can get you more information. And keep him warm.
i only did it once and i got him today the formula i use is kitten formula cause i read you can use that but others have said you cant who is right his skin goes right back but every once in a while he will open his mouth really big and i dont know if he is yawning or if he is gasping for breath

all i have for heat is a really poerfull desk lamp that puts out alot of heat and i need to get to sleepa soon and my squirrel is on my desk how else can i keep him warm

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:05 AM
Thank you Sarak.....trying to get with IR or what about 4S????
Pinch the skin up at his shoulders to see if he is dehydrated - if the skin immediately goes back into place he isn't, but if it takes a while to go back down he is dehydrated. If so he needs Pedialyte - just start him of with 1mL/cc for now until someone can get you more information. And keep him warm.

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:07 AM
NO it must be puppy formula...but if that is all you have for tonight , well go with what you have.....try to only use a small amout.....still working on trying to get a rehabber on....
i only did it once and i got him today the formula i use is kitten formula cause i read you can use that but others have said you cant who is right his skin goes right back but every once in a while he will open his mouth really big and i dont know if he is yawning or if he is gasping for breath

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:11 AM
NO it must be puppy formula...but if that is all you have for tonight , well go with what you have.....try to only use a small amout.....still working on trying to get a rehabber on....
ok thank you

he just started breathing like he has the hickups but i dont think he does

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:12 AM
Well this is when I wish we had Gamma here.....that lady would not only be here she would know what to do....hang in there, I will not leave you, and I have raised many squirrels....but I think the best is for you to keep the baby warm, and offer pedialite (sp?) and the formula/ but I have always thought it should be puppy formula.....
Now go to a thread/ I think it is with nutrition etc.

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:14 AM
Well this is when I wish we had Gamma here.....that lady would not only be here she would know what to do....hang in there, I will not leave you, and I have raised many squirrels....but I think the best is for you to keep the baby warm, and offer pedialite (sp?) and the formula/ but I have always thought it should be puppy formula.....
Now go to a thread/ I think it is with nutrition etc.
ok will do
i dont have pedilite around and i cant go to a store right now

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:14 AM
I will go and look for you, and i will be right back...I promise I will not leave you!!!!!

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:16 AM
I think in that thread they have a way of making your own, I am going yo go ther...you might want to go check it out...but meet me back here in a little bit....
ok will do
i dont have pedilite around and i cant go to a store right now

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:21 AM
I think in that thread they have a way of making your own, I am going yo go ther...you might want to go check it out...but meet me back here in a little bit....
whats the name of the thread

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 02:22 AM
jimbo,
I am tryng to get a "licenced REHABBER" on to help you...
Please hold tight...oxoxo
Id say No more..... peanutbutter.....for the time being..oxoxo
FTN

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:24 AM
jimbo,
I am tryng to get a "licenced REHABBER" on to help you...
Please hold tight...oxoxo
Id say No more..... peanutbutter.....for the time being..oxoxo
FTN
i did it once and that was at about 230pm and its now about 1130pm

he was just wagging his tail and trying to get up is that good he is also clicking has teeth

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:26 AM
I have to go find some better info....I will not be leaving you, just post here and I promise i will be back/ I have to find some things to help you....main thin keep the baby warm....in your shirt, if on a heating pad make sure the heating pad is only on about 1/2 of the box......ok you want to only have it under 1/4 of like a shoe box, and under it not directly on the little guy....ok I have to go find more info for you, be back soon.........

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:28 AM
I have to go find some better info....I will not be leaving you, just post here and I promise i will be back/ I have to find some things to help you....main thin keep the baby warm....in your shirt, if on a heating pad make sure the heating pad is only on about 1/2 of the box......ok you want to only have it under 1/4 of like a shoe box, and under it not directly on the little guy....ok I have to go find more info for you, be back soon.........
thank you

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 02:30 AM
OKay..good..Im still making phone calls...sweety...be patient..and stay calm...Im so sorry your little one is having problems...
Im trying every one I know... its now 2:30 am for us...

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:32 AM
1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
3 Tbsp sugar (tablespoon)
1 quart warm water
Mix all ingredients in warm water. Store in refrigerator.

How to Prepare the Pedialyte
Use a plastic syringe (with or without a nipple). Never use pet nursers
or doll bottles. They will choke the baby. Fill a coffee mug with hot
water. Fill the syringe with Pedialyte and place it in the mug for a
couple of minutes. Squirt a drop on the inside of your wrist to make
sure the liquid isnít too hot. It should feel barely warm on your skin.OK here is the homemade pidialite...

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:34 AM
OKay..good..Im still making phone calls...sweety...be patient..and stay calm...Im so sorry your little one is having problems...
Im trying every one I know... its now 2:30 am for us...
thank you for all your help

he doesnt like it when i touch his tail is that a good thing that he is responding
can i pet him or no cause i want to comfort him as much as possible

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:35 AM
1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 quart warm water

sure the liquid isn’t too hot. It should feel barely warm on your skin.OK here is the homemade pidialite...
thank you and it helps him rehydrate right he is breathing really hard i think he is about to go he is kicking and puchcing and his breathing is slowing its very inconsistent

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 02:40 AM
1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 quart warm water

sure the liquid isnít too hot. It should feel barely warm on your skin.OK here is the homemade pidialite...

I would also hold off on giving any more formula...till the diareah is gone..
Keep him calm..and nice and dark..
Try not to irritate him..:grouphug good for him to remain calm..

Do you have instruction...for HOW much to give??CHARLEY CHUCKLES..?
With his little one..being so young...?

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:42 AM
I would also hold off on giving any more formula...till the diareah is gone..
Keep him calm..and nice and dark..
Try not to irritate him..:grouphug good for him to remain calm..

Do you have instruction...for HOW much to give??CHARLEY CHUCKLES..?
With his little one..being so young...?
he hasnt pooped for almost an hour now do i cover his eyes to simulate darkness?

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 02:44 AM
thank you for all your help

he doesnt like it when i touch his tail is that a good thing that he is responding
can i pet him or no cause i want to comfort him as much as possible
I know you want to comfort him..he knows your there...let him rest...you can talk softly...to him...say some prayers..together..and this will calm you as well..
I will also say some prayers for you...
Im still trying..to call people...MERCY....I guess...normal people...Sleep like rocks...not me...wide awake...good thing Im not the only one..
CC...has the Pedialyte formula..:thumbsup good..finding it..
We shall stay here...holding your hand..till we can get some one on...:grouphug

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:46 AM
I know you want to comfort him..he knows your there...let him rest...you can talk softly...to him...say some prayers..together..and this will calm you as well..
I will also say some prayers for you...
Im still trying..to call people...MERCY....I guess...normal people...Sleep like rocks...not me...wide awake...good thing Im not the only one..
CC...has the Pedialyte formula..:thumbsup good..finding it..
We shall stay here...holding your hand..till we can get some one on...:grouphug
i dont want to sound bad but i cant stay awake much longer i have school in the morning and im exhausted from work today i want him to live

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 02:48 AM
Are you still there, it looks like you logged off???

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:48 AM
I am so sorry , I wish I could take the little guy for you... do you think you could make that pedialite??

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 02:49 AM
Can you PM Charley Chuckles your phone number and when we get someone, we will call you so that you don't have to stay awake?

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:50 AM
Are you still there, it looks like you logged off???
im still here but ot much longer and ya cc i will try but i cant find a syringe

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 02:50 AM
i dont want to sound bad but i cant stay awake much longer i have school in the morning and im exhausted from work today i want him to liveIs there a rehabber you can drop him off at in the am before you go to school..? He needs CONSTANT care with him being in this state...
He will suffer and surely die..if you dont give him to some one that can tend to his needs...jimbob....
You are such a good human mom/dad..to him thus far...
I know you are tired..and have to go to school in the am...but can you at lease..find out where...you could drop him off...call a local vets office or even the Police Dept in the am..or even tonight...they maybe able to find a rehabber for you..to give it to..?
Rachel

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:51 AM
Hey Jim1 we are still here, are you....oh I hope things are still Ok?.....we will stay with yo as long as you need us.....

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 02:53 AM
Can you PM Charley Chuckles your phone number and when we get someone, we will call you so that you don't have to stay awake?
my dad is asleep and can here everything i do in my room so i cant call anyone

i have my heat on him and he has stop pooping for now
he has water available and he is wrapped in a blanket in his container the container is covered and he looks to be sleeping

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:54 AM
forget the syringe....just make it , doesn't have to be perfect...remember you are saving a life.....now just put it on the end of your finger let him lick....or small spoon, whatever and tilt head back and slide it down....mow get to it man:D

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 02:57 AM
Even an eye dropper...just rinse it out...completely...then you could use that too...:thumbsup

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 02:59 AM
Do not let us down....we all have work in the morning...but will the little one have a life? now don't worry it is not your fault if he dos not make it, we know you did your best......but you have to stick with it tonight, no sleep.....your job is to take care of the little one....sorry you were chosen!!!!!So please don't let him down:grouphug

jimbob21
05-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Do not let us down....we all have work in the morning...but will the little one have a life? now don't worry it is not your fault if he dos not make it, we know you did your best......but you have to stick with it tonight, no sleep.....your job is to take care of the little one....sorry you were chosen!!!!!So please don't let him down:grouphug
you got it

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 03:02 AM
How did you get this little one? Did you just get him or have you had him for a while?

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 03:04 AM
JimBob,
Are you still there...??
Are you busy mixing..and trying to get it in him?
Make sure you dont get any in his nose... have a tissue ready..in case he wriggles..and you do get some..up his nose...
Do you have a Visine..eye dropper??
If not...a tiny spoon..finger..those are great idea's..
I know your tired...your a good person...
Go, the extra mile..
Your dong a great job..you are very caring..and your "tank"...knows your there...for him..he feels your love..
Keep up the good work!:thumbsup

Tomo
05-29-2009, 03:06 AM
Hi Jimbob,

What is the heat source? What are you keeping him in? Keep him loosely wrapped in an old clean tshirt or fleece, if you have it.
Have you pinched the skin to see if he's dehydrated? If the skin does not go back down immediately, then the baby needs to be hydrated with Pedialyte or homemade hydration solution. Here is the recipe:

1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 quart warm water

Kitten formula is not the correct formula, you really need to get him Esbilac for puppies. I thought I saw that you feed him peanut butter. Don't feed him that. He's too young and his body cannot digest that. It may be what's causing his soft poop.

What else can you tell me about him?

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 03:06 AM
WHEW.....TOMO....is on the scene....you ARE..in excellent CARE.... :bow

Tomo
05-29-2009, 03:07 AM

Do you have an eye dropper?

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 03:08 AM
Hi Jimbob,

What is the heat source? What are you keeping him in? Keep him loosely wrapped in an old clean tshirt or fleece, if you have it.
Have you pinched the skin to see if he's dehydrated? If the skin does not go back down immediately, then the baby needs to be hydrated with Pedialyte or homemade hydration solution. Here is the recipe:

1 tsp salt (teaspoon)
1 quart warm water

Kitten formula is not the correct formula, you really need to get him Esbilac for puppies. I thought I saw that you feed him peanut butter. Don't feed him that. He's too young and his body cannot digest that. It may be what's causing his soft poop.

What else can you tell me about him?

TOMO'S HERE...:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo :wahoo

Tomo
05-29-2009, 03:09 AM
I'm here for a little while. Just got back from taking a baby to Dr. P's! If I go offline, I'll check back in a little while.

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 03:14 AM
I'm here for a little while. Just got back from taking a baby to Dr. P's! If I go offline, I'll check back in a little while.

DO YOU EVER SLEEP? HOPE HE IS STILL ON, I ALSO HAVE TO LEAVE FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES...I WILL KEEP CHECKING. DO YOU WANT ME TO TRY SOMEONE ELSE????

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 03:16 AM
jimbob...........you still on??
Everything okay.....are you okay??

UPDATE..please...:poke

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 03:18 AM
Well try as we might I think we lost him......I wish the little one was with one of us, I know they tried and hope they can continue to help the littler one.....well I told myself i was going to go to bed at 10:00 tonight LOL....oh well a squammy never sleeps!!!!!!!:osnap

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 03:20 AM
YES, BUT THAT WAS 10:00 WEST COAST TIME:crazy :crazy :crazy :poke :poke

Tomo
05-29-2009, 03:21 AM
Hydration and warmth are the most important things at this point.

Jimbob, you can pickup a 1 cc syringe from any pharmacist for free (most of the time) just for asking. I would start with hydration for the first 24 hours, then once you have the Esbilac, dilute it 1/4 Esbilac to 3/4 water, warm it and feed the baby at least 2 feedings with this. Once you see him starting to want more, change the dilution to 1/2 Esbilac, 1/2 water, and feed him that for 2 more feedings, then go to the dilution in the instructions. He should be fed a minimum of 6 times a day, 4 hours apart.

It's obvious you care for this little one, but if you feel you cannot care for this baby, let us know where you are and we will try to find a rehabber for you. :)

Tomo
05-29-2009, 03:23 AM
DO YOU EVER SLEEP? HOPE HE IS STILL ON, I ALSO HAVE TO LEAVE FOR ABOUT 30 MINUTES...I WILL KEEP CHECKING. DO YOU WANT ME TO TRY SOMEONE ELSE????

No, it seems like lately I don't really sleep, or at least, no nearly enough! I'll be off for a little while, but will check back before I attempt to go to sleep. :)

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 03:23 AM
Well everyone...I guess we lost him and I sure hope he takes are adice...but he needs a rehabber/ someone=e who can really tell him what to do...poor little squirrel.........:osnap I hope you know we will be here for you:grouphug

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 03:24 AM
Thank you Auntie Nancy, I feel so refreshed and wide awake now:osnap
YES, BUT THAT WAS 10:00 WEST COAST TIME:crazy :crazy :crazy :poke :poke

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 03:31 AM
Well everyone .....I guess this is it????? I guess we lost him....OK Good night everyone, and thanks for all the help/ and thank you Auntie Nancy...tell Chippy I will talk to her tomorrow........well I just wish we could have done more, but maybe we did?????

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Hey Jimbob21....we sure would like to hear how it worked out for you.....please let us know, and also...do not feel bad if something happens to the little one...been there done that......we just would like to know......:thankyou

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 03:34 AM
Good night sweetie, catch you later...nice job, and you sure did try...:dono :dono

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 03:43 AM
JimBob,
If you wouldnt mind....
Please...give us an update..on "tank"....when you have time..

We would all like to know...how you made out...and how "tank" is doing..

You are a good Squirrel Dad...and you should be very proud of yourself..for caring so much for your squirrel..and taking the time..to find out what you could do for him...
Hope the best..for the both of you..and make sure...you follow..Tomo's instruction's...she does this sort of Squirrel Tending...every day...so...feel..assured....your instructions from her...will aid you in the direction...for a healthy squirrel....:thumbsup

Glad WE ALL...could be here....to assit you..until the EXPERT came on board..:thumbsup

Hope all is well....
Take care...

Rachel/FLUFFYTAILNUT...:wave123

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 03:43 AM
Good night everyoneone.......Please let us know how things work out for the little one.........we are just a bunch of squirrel lovers:jump well let us know, and if there is any thing we can do to help....please let us know:poke

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 03:56 AM
OK I have waited ....but I think I better go to bed now, I sure hope the little guy is alright,,,, thank you everyone...sure appreciate it!!!!

Tomo
05-29-2009, 04:13 AM
Jimbob, if you come back on and no one responds, please just remember hydration and warmth. If you don't have a syringe or an eye dropper (both to be used by letting drops fall on his lips and he will lap them up. It's a slow process, but it works), let him lick the hydration fluid off of your finger.

We're praying for your little one and you. Please let us know what is going on.

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 04:28 AM
These early morning emergencies are tough...only a handful of people up at that hour...Nice going everyone, you can only do so much...hope to hear some news on that poor baby.....

island rehabber
05-29-2009, 07:30 AM
Bless you, everyone on what turned out to be the Night Shift and Early Morning Shift....you are my heroes. I'm sure you're all exhausted and won't see this post until noon, but you are angels on earth to stay up to try and help jim1. I don't have a good feeling about this outcome, but it won't be for lack of the absolutely devoted efforts of TSB members, to help a baby squirrel wherever and WHENever help is needed.
:bowdown :grouphug :bowdown :grouphug :bowdown :grouphug :bowdown

Nancy in New York
05-29-2009, 07:44 AM
Bless you, everyone on what turned out to be the Night Shift and Early Morning Shift....you are my heroes. I'm sure you're all exhausted and won't see this post until noon, but you are angels on earth to stay up to try and help jim1. I don't have a good feeling about this outcome, but it won't be for lack of the absolutely devoted efforts of TSB members, to help a baby squirrel wherever and WHENever help is needed.

Awe, what a nice post IR....

4skwerlz
05-29-2009, 07:46 AM

Amen. You guys did great. Let's hope we get an update this morning.:grouphug

Charles Chuckles
05-29-2009, 09:38 AM
Yawn, stretch, is it noon yet....oh well I have alot to do today....so I guess I will just....'GET ER DONE'.....oh how I would rather go back to bed:osnap ok just thought I would check in , I will check in later:wave123

Tomo
05-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Thanks IR! Let's hope we hear from Jimbob soon to see if prayers and advice helped! :)

ransacklv
05-29-2009, 10:28 AM
What is the status now? is he okay - did the heat work ? when my squirrel was sick i held her in a warm towel and it seem to have helped i think cuz they know you are there for them that way

FLUFFYTAILNUT
05-29-2009, 01:41 PM
Little past noon.... :hidechair

Just popping in to see..if there is any news..on This NEW Member....and his baby "tank"...
Hope he made it through the night.

IR....it was...my pleasure..to help hold the fort...up...and assure him help was on the way...
So...glad..Tomo...came on..with her expertise....and the few of us that were there...to aid him the best we could...

Had my late first cup of coffee...at 12:00...:D :thumbsup

JimBob..& Tank...hope all is well with you two..:thumbsup

wheezer
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Wow, I just got a message about this situation. I was exhausted from my trip and went to bed last night at 8:30 which I rarely do. I am so proud of all of you especially CC, you stepped in and did the best you could & Tomo too:bowdown

I am thinking the little guy didn't make it:( But we still may hear that he did...

This new member was doing the best they could too:grouphug

longshotgamble
05-29-2009, 05:14 PM
I have been following, but I see there has been no recent update. JMB, I hope you and your friend are well. I will be checking back if you need someone to talk to. I wish I could do more.......

Tum Tum
05-30-2009, 01:43 AM
Any update? I would like to know if he survived!

:wave123