PDA

View Full Version : Calcium supplements?

sqrlpup
09-13-2006, 09:38 AM
What kind of vitamin supplements can I give my squirrel? Calcium in particular.

He is still on formula-only. Compared to weights of other squirrels his age, he's in the middle.. I'd like him to gain more but I can't feed him any more than I already do. :thankyou

Critter_Queen
09-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Hi there. You can grind up TUMS and add a couple pinches of that to the daily amount of formula, you could grind up rodent block and add it to the formula, you could also get something called Cal-Tabs and grind those up and add a couple pinches to the daily amount of formula. You can add way more rodent block dust to the formula than either the TUMS or the Cal-Tabs...but the TUMS and Cal-Tabs have more straight up calcium.

I add a couple pinches of Cal-tab dust and about a teaspoon of rodent block dust per 3 oz. of mixed formula.

Other than that, the formula (if esbilac) should provide all the nutrients they need.

GhosTS
09-13-2006, 10:49 AM
I stongly suggest not to use any suppliments when you are giving them formula.It has all the nutrians they need.Giving them too much vitamins and even calcium can have negative effects.

After he open his eyes you can mix grinded rodent block to his formula for more nutrians.But not before that.He will have hard time digesting it.

When he is fully weaned you can give them "Prime" vitamin and mineral suppliment with their water.But if you give them a proper diet, it wont be needed.By giving leafy greens such as Kale,Broccolli he will get the calcium they need.And nuts will give them fat.And other food will give the vitamins.Combined with sunshine,they will have all the nutrians they need.

As far as his weight is not much.Squirrels have different weights and looks.Some are fat, some are thin.As long as the squirrel is getting the nutrians and not emaciated or dehydrated, there is nothing to worry if he is gaining weight.

Critter_Queen
09-13-2006, 11:00 AM
GhosTS is right, I forgot to mention that I do this for my eyes-open babes...I just feed the Esbilac until then...

I do give the calcium supplements if the critter is a newbie baby and has not had good care or any care...calcium is so vitally important to squirrels that as long as you don't overkill, and just add a touch, it shouldn't hurt them.

But I agree with GhosTS that if his eyes are closed, and he's doing well and gaining weight (even if smaller/less than the others) he is doing fine. I have two squirrels that at the same age looked TOTALLY different. One was nearly twice the size of the other, but both are doing VERY well...

sqrlpup
09-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Thank you all so much for the reassurance. My mom/sister kept insisting I grind up things for his formula, but I thought against it because of digestion issues.

My sister mentioned something called "Osteoform"... A liquid you add to their formula? But I am so wary of adding things. He has been on goat's milk esbilac [the canned kind] from the start. As his eyes are just starting to open, maybe at the start of next week I will try the rodent block or tums...

I have Zupreem Monkey Biscuts I might break up to see if he will nibble on sooner than later too.

He's not dehydrated, quite active, pooping well and all that.

Critter_Queen
09-13-2006, 11:25 AM
I would steer clear of the Osteoform...never heard of it being a squirrel supplement (which may or may not mean anything! LOL!).

I say if he's doing well, pooping good, active, leave his stuff the way it is...but I would suggest switching to the puppy esbilac because it has the right amount of nutrients in it for squirrels...others are close, but puppy esbilac is the best and closest to Mom's milk.

Trust your guts and research on these things...and this board. :thumbsup

Are you mom/sister rehabbers? Done this before? If not, don't listen to 'em. For once you have permission not to listen to Mom!! LOL!

Good luck!

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-13-2006, 02:34 PM
can someone use a human callcium pill crush it & put it in their food? Or cant this be done, I have always wondered about this?

Critter_Queen
09-13-2006, 03:28 PM
No, human ones are far to potent. The TUMS are ok in a pinch because they have easily digestable calcium and are safe for pregnant women to take. However, Cal-tabs are a better choice as they are made for animals.

Hope that helps!!

GhosTS
09-13-2006, 10:06 PM
Human calicium phills are hard to digest.It should be an animal suppliment.Cal-Tabs and Prime are good.They are very easy to digest.And I think Osteoform is a human suppliment.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-14-2006, 06:55 AM
What is Prime?
So there is nothing like at a cvs that I could give them?
My closest larger pet stores are 55 minutes away.
They are going to need something shortly because they want very little formula now.

Critter_Queen
09-14-2006, 09:05 AM
I would give them rodent block for calcium. If they eat that, it has what they need in it...just like the formula.

Cal-tabs should be available (in some form) at Wal-mart I would think...not sure as I haven't looked, but they have vitamin tablets for dogs there, so maybe they have some calcium tabs too?

However, if your squirrels are eating a wide variety of appropriate foods, there should be little need if any to supplement with anything.

Secret Squirrel
09-14-2006, 10:02 AM
Also cuttle bone is a very good source for calcium. It's available at Walmart, pet stores, bird stores.
Cuttle bone is actually a fish that is nothing but bone. It's dried and used for a calcium supplement mainly for birds, but it works for squirrels too...plus it helps wear down the teeth too on the small kidz.

Also deer antler is also a great natural source of calcium. You can buy deer antler on the INTERNET or if your lucky enough to know of a few antlers laying in the woods. Usually the squirrels have already spied them.:peace

Critter_Queen
09-14-2006, 10:17 AM
YES! Cuttlebone! DUH! I totally forgot about that and I have TONS of 'em at home for my birds! :shakehead That is a great way to get them their calcium...

GhosTS
09-14-2006, 10:45 AM
Oh ya.Deer antlers and cuttle bones are what I give to my babies.Till now, they dont get any suppliments.And they have strong bones.They hang upside down from their back legs just for kicks.Lol.Its good that SS bought that up.

sqrlpup
09-14-2006, 10:52 AM
Thanks everyone, I will pick up some cal-tabs possibly. I do have deer antler, but I will nab some cuttlebone from my boyfriend, he buys it for his hermit crabs.

rippie-n-lilgirlsmom
09-14-2006, 12:02 PM
so cuttlebone is something that just sits in their cage for them to chew on then?

Suro
09-14-2006, 12:18 PM
Wildlife rescue told me to use stress powder http://www.gpsdirect.biz/ProductDetails~ProductID~2051.aspx
I dip the teat in it once a day, not sure if any of you have used this or heard of it?

I'd also be interested to hear about using cuttlebone though, sounds like they'd also find it fun! :)

Secret Squirrel
09-14-2006, 08:28 PM
Just wanted to say thanks to all those who also uses the cuttlebone and deer antler for natural calcium suppliments......it's so easy to forget the simple basic things and want to go more high tech. Also , I read that fresh antlers have blood in them.....so they should be old ones...!!!

rygel1hardt
09-14-2006, 08:36 PM
An interesting thing to add to the deer antler theme. I had both natural shed and taxidermy antler donated to me for the rehab babies and none of my squirrels, and I have raised greys,foxers, and flyers would touch the taxidermy ones and went to town on the natural sheds. Has anyone else had this experience with your squirrels? Stacey

Just wanted to say thanks to all those who also uses the cuttlebone and deer antler for natural calcium suppliments......it's so easy to forget the simple basic things and want to go more high tech. Also , I read that fresh antlers have blood in them.....so they should be old ones...!!!