PDA

View Full Version : Squirrelie has teeth problems. Need advice

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 01:56 PM
Hi, Squirrelie was the first squirrel that I got. He crawled up our driveway as a 4 week old baby squirrel. That was almost 3 and a half years ago and thus started my obsession with squirrels. he is a very special little guy. He cuddles up with us every night. He is my baby.

In the beginning he only stayed in his cage when we were not home or when we were eating. For what little time he was in there he would chew on his cage incessantly. By doing this he ended up grinding his lower teeth down to the roots. He hasn't lived in a cage since. He now resides in our bedroom with us.

His teeth never seemed to bother him until very recently. I noticed a few days ago what seemed to be a small bump on his lower jaw on the left side. It looks to be an abcess. I think it is more in the inside than on the outside. This area seems to cause him discomfort. It is really hard to get a look at it. He isn't exactly cooperative. But what I can see the gums around those teeth are inflamed and seem to be pulling away from the teeth a bit. Our bonuses from work should be comming within about 2 to 4 weeks. I can afford o take him to the vet then. Until then what can I do to help with pain management? I am assuming that these teeth are going to need to be pulled (both lower), what can I expect as far as cost? How invasive is this procedure? Is there any chance of me losing him( I don't know what I would do without him)? Any info on this procedure or home remedies to help with his tooth pain until I can get him there would be appreciated. Thanks.

foxsquirrels
01-16-2009, 02:02 PM
I know it's hard to do but can you get a couple of pictures of his mouth? I'm dealing with a squirrel with some teeth problems from an injury. It would sure help! I have to run to the vet to pick up a couple of dogs but I will be back in about an hour.

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
The thing is I will have the money in a couple of weeks ish.

I can't get a picture of the inside of his mouth. It is extremely difficult for me even to get a slight glance at it. I can get a picture of his abcess from the outside. It is not a huge one but it bothers him. I tried to get a look at his tooth and wanted to try to touch it to see if it was loose at all. If it is very loose I could probably help him wiggle it out but I couldn't get a good enough look at it. I think he would be have to be put under for sure for this procedure. It is too painful for him. their teeth's roots are so deep too. I wouldn't attempt to take it out myself unless it was on the verge of falling out by itself.

I'll try to get a picture of the outside of his mouth by this evening.

Sciurus1
01-16-2009, 03:03 PM
I think you have made a very good case for having an x-ray taken, to check for Odontomas, or some other condition that may be causing this problem.

JLM27
01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
HI, I can loan you some money for a couple of weeks if that is what it takes to get him to a vet right away. Having had a tooth abscess once myself I know it is a) painful and b) dangerous, not to mention what it is going to do to his nutrition.

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 03:26 PM
here are some pics of it from the outside. His appetite is still fine.

I really appreciate your offers. I would really prefer to not have to take money from anybody. Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to have his lower teeth removed? I am wondering how much I am looking at here. Has anybody on here had their squirrel treated for this?

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 03:29 PM
No I do not have any antibiotics.

I am sure when I take him that they will take an xray of it.

foxsquirrels
01-16-2009, 03:34 PM
Squirrelfriend, let us help you get him into the vet right now. I have a little extra cash I can send to you if you have a PayPal account.

4skwerlz
01-16-2009, 04:18 PM
I know how you feel about taking money, but with this lousy economy a lot of us are having to ask for help with unexpected vet bills. So please don't feel bad--just do it. If everyone pitches in just a little, we can get Squirrelie to the vet right now.

That definitely looks like an abscess. Needs treatment ASAP!

Lady Squirrelly
01-16-2009, 04:29 PM
Get him to the vets please.

The money is for him, not for you. Think of it that way if it helps.

We have helped many squirrels on this board.

In a couple of weeks it might be too late.

I will give.

starfairy
01-16-2009, 04:45 PM
here are some pics of it from the outside. His appetite is still fine.

I really appreciate your offers. I would really prefer to not have to take money from anybody. Does anybody have any idea how much it would cost to have his lower teeth removed? I am wondering how much I am looking at here. Has anybody on here had their squirrel treated for this?

My squirrelly had to have surgery to have one of his top front teeth taken out (it was growing into his nasel cavity which was giving him problem) It cost about 238.00 but that was 3 years ago. ( he is almost 7 ) I just took him back to the vet last week for a check up. He has periodontal disease. They gave me Maxi/guard zinc to rub on his gums to help him. they want to pull another one of his teeth but I am really hesitant. He said that he could not pull his front bottom teeth because it would give him jaw problems. Please try to take your baby ASAP because the can get an infection really fast. I am sure everyone here will help with the money and you shouldn't feel bad. You can always help someone else out when you get your money.

muffinsquirrel
01-16-2009, 04:46 PM
No one will be sending you money - we will be sending it to Squirrelie. It is SQUIRREL money, and floats from person to person as the need arises. When your checks come in, I am sure there will be another squirrel that needs help. I know how you feel about not taking money, but it really isn't for you. Every person on here cares about squirrels, and about helping them. Would you deny Squirrelie the help and freedom from pain that he needs, just because you were too proud to take help when it is freely offered?

So post your PayPal address, so we can start him on his way to good health and no pain!

muffinsquirrel

Elizabeth
01-16-2009, 05:10 PM
If you are really uncomfortable having Squirrelie accept money from TSB members, maybe you could speak with the vet you will use to see if he/she will set up a payment plan or accept deferred payment? :dono

Hugs to you, Squirrelie, and all your other precious babies! :grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

sherbear59
01-16-2009, 05:24 PM
OH my poor baby ! Been there done that ! Stevo had the same problems about 3 years ago. Took 25-30 calls before we found a vet that would even see him . Found a great vet that said she's never seen a squirrel be for but would do what she could. Even took a post dated check , she's a wonderful person . We pass alot of vets to see her for all our pets ! She put him under and trimed his teeth and nail's and gave him antibiotics. I believe it was 180. Get your phone book out and start at the beginning ,,,,,,,,, tell them your situation and hopefully you'll the one who will help . Do it right away infection is close to his brain. Please listen to the folks here they know what they're saying anything you need to know about your little friend is here on THE SQUIRREL BOARD !

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 06:14 PM
Ok, now I am worried. I just called the vet to see how much they would charge for this and they were guessing the high range would be about $800. I called back to see if they would take post dated checks like someone on here suggested and they said they no longer take squirrels!!!!!!!!! This is the only vet I know that will take squirrels around here. NOW WHAT??????????????????? Now I am really worried. Before it was just a matter of when, now it is a matter of IF I can. My heart has sank, I feel numb. I can not lose my little guy. Does anyone here know of a vet that will take squirrels in the Toronto area?

P.s. Thank you all for your generous offers:grouphug

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 06:21 PM
OMG! I just called another vet. According to the advertisement they treat exotics and pocket pets so I tried them first. The lady on the phone said she couldn't tell me for sure but she says that they probably would. I have to call back tomorrow after 1:30. FINGERS CROSSED!

4skwerlz
01-16-2009, 06:46 PM
Sounds good. Fingers crossed. When you find out if this vet will see a squirrel, post your email/paypal too so we can make this happen! Poor little Squirrelie. I'm sure he's in pain.

Tell the vet it's an emergency.
:grouphug :grouphug :grouphug

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 06:57 PM
Luckily his appetite is still good. very good at that.

I will have to post a paypal account later. My husband knows all that info and he is sleeping.

island rehabber
01-16-2009, 07:12 PM
We're here, SF, so get your boy in there ASAP. That squirrel money that muffinsquirrel mentioned? Well some of it landed my way in October and it's just waiting here for a squirrel to help.....looks like you've got one.

muffinsquirrel
01-16-2009, 07:35 PM
If the vets say that they no longer treat squirrels, just say "What??? You mean you are going to let this adorable, much loved squirrel DIE because you just took a notion to stop treating them??? What happened to your oath to help animals?"

Maybe you can shame them into doing the right thing and treating Squirrelie!

muffinsquirrel

squirrelfriend
01-16-2009, 07:58 PM
I will try them again tomorrow. A friend of mine from here and I have been calling around trying to find a new vet. There are two that look promissing but we will not know until the afternoon tomorrow. Even with the quotes from the first vet, at least it is cheaper than I first assumed it would be. They quoted $200 - $800. I am hoping it will be closer to the two. If it is then it won't be a big problem to have him seen. If it is $800 ish it gets a little tougher. I got high hopes on the $200 range but when it comes to vets, I never count on the lower end of the quote.

Thank you all for your support. I was temporarily devastated when I heard that my vet would no longer see them. Now that I have two other possibilities I am gaining hope again.

sherbear59
01-16-2009, 09:15 PM
Shame them big time !!!! find the Drama Queen in yourself and save your baby ! :grouphug :grouphug

Jackie in Tampa
01-17-2009, 05:42 AM
Rocky had an upper removed that had been accompanied by an abcess. He was treated with antibiotics and extractiion...$1003 total, that included 3 trips, x rays,meds, anethesia twice and extraction.
I have been told my vets are extremely high, but modern high end facility.
He has been great ever since!
Good luck!
I know how you feel about taking sq funds:grouphug , but like all here said...Do it!

squirrelfriend
01-17-2009, 01:14 PM
Ok, here is the update. I had a friend call a different vet today for me because they were open from 9 - 1. I worked from 7 - 1. She found out that they DO take squirrels. They are not open until Monday. I will call them first thing Monday. Things are looking good. I have dealt with this vet years back. about 20 years ago I took my iguanas there. They were very nice and friendly.

Squirrelie is still the same. He is not deteriorating. I know he may be uncomfortable but he will be ok until monday. Hopefully I can get him looked at that day.

sherbear59
01-17-2009, 01:53 PM
Ok, here is the update. I had a friend call a different vet today for me because they were open from 9 - 1. I worked from 7 - 1. She found out that they DO take squirrels. They are not open until Monday. I will call them first thing Monday. Things are looking good. I have dealt with this vet years back. about 20 years ago I took my iguanas there. They were very nice and friendly.

Squirrelie is still the same. He is not deteriorating. I know he may be uncomfortable but he will be ok until monday. Hopefully I can get him looked at that day.:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup I hope they can save his tooth !

squirrelfriend
01-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Saving his teeth are not an option. Saving him is. I am going to call them first thing monday.

Here is the paypal account. fartkowski@hotmail.com

It is my husbands account. I really appreciate any donations or advice. I think you guys are all so wonderfull for being so caring.

atlantasquirrelgirl
01-17-2009, 06:50 PM
I just sent a little contribution to his vet bill.

squirrelfriend
01-17-2009, 06:51 PM
oh, bless you. Squirrelie sends his thanks and love. Me too.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

foxsquirrels
01-17-2009, 07:22 PM
Sent you a little money to help Squirrelie with his vet bill. Hope everything turns out justs great for him. I have a rescue from being hit by a car that is having a little trouble with his teeth. I hope our boys heal up soon!

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Responding here instead of IM for further info. Just so you know there is no way you can wiggle out the teeth. The tooth and roots go past the gum line and back almost curling to the ears. The tooth and root itself is about an inch or more long past the gum line and in the shape of a half circle. They don't come out like humans would. Check out Millies teeth pictures after being extracted
http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14274
Even if you were able to get the teeth out that way you would end up killing him because the infection would spread with nothing standing in its path.
The abscess you see isn't completely in the root looks more like the start of the root, however that infection could be spreading to his brain and can kill him faster then you would think so Antibiotics are needed asap. Perhaps there is a rehabber in your area who can start you off on some? Even if you get him on some tomorrow its better then Monday. Sooner the better.

The fact that his teeth always wear down like that means he probably has some sort of tooth disease/deficiency and is teeth are weak and soft. Again you can't tell just by looking at them. Normal teeth really shouldn't wear down that much even chewing on bars, and now is causing severe gum irritation if not gum disease.
There are some immune boosters you can try but thats going to cost a lot itself and really won't do anything for the infection. That will need to be pulled drained and flushed along with meds and pain killers.
I would really try to see if you can find a rehabber to help in the meantime just for meds.
In the mean time soak his blocks in hot water for 2 hours before hand and use baby food veggies/fruits so the gums don't have to be irritated more. Don't give him any nuts or hard foods. I am sure thats the main cause of the abscess. When you irritate the gums over and over with no teeth to protect them it will indeed cause infection leading to an abscess.

squirrelfriend
01-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Wow, thanks for the info.. His teeth don't continually wear down funny. His lower teeth have not grown for the last four years. After he ground them down to the root they stopped growing all together. I don't know of any rehabbers in the area. There is the humane society and also Toronto Wildlife but they would seize him from me and have him put down because he is an unreleasable.

He is already being fed baby foods. He especially likes yams, apricots and peaches. He also likes oatmeal, whole grain bread with no crust, leafy greens and ground nuts.

Jackie in Tampa
01-18-2009, 05:43 AM
Me again, my Rocky has the same issue with his lowers. Rocky broke them off at about 11 m onths old, and they never grew back in. I can see the tips of them and he has been using them since, but he has a soft chopped diet. It works for us, after the upper extraction, that left him with one tooth! He is a chunky happy boy! We manage.

:bowdown What wonderful sq loving members!:bowdown
Glad you found a different vet, hope it pans out to be a GREAT one!
I barely type, so if there is any pics or info that I can share , pm and I'll call you...cause I CAN TALK! :D
Fingers are crossed for you!

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-18-2009, 08:22 AM
Wow, thanks for the info.. His teeth don't continually wear down funny. His lower teeth have not grown for the last four years. After he ground them down to the root they stopped growing all together. I don't know of any rehabbers in the area. There is the humane society and also Toronto Wildlife but they would seize him from me and have him put down because he is an unreleasable.

He is already being fed baby foods. He especially likes yams, apricots and peaches. He also likes oatmeal, whole grain bread with no crust, leafy greens and ground nuts.
No but they had to have to begin with. As long as the root of the tooth is still there the tooth should grow, so there has to be some underlying issue be it deficiency or alignment etc.
Lets just hope the infection doesn't spread and he is ok until you get him in. Make sure if they can't see him tomorrow they at least give you antibiotic until they can.

squirrelfriend
01-19-2009, 05:48 AM
I am just waiting for the vets to open so that I can call them and bring him in. Thank you all that donated and all that gave advice and support. I really appreciate it. Squirrelie is very special to me. I have had a lot of pets in my lifetime but this guy is my all time favorite. I don't even think of him as a pet. He is my best friend and like a child to me. I can't stand to see him in discomfort.

You are all so special. You help me regain faith in humanity again. To help a squirrel in need, you guys are the best.:Love_Icon :Love_Icon :Love_Icon

Jackie in Tampa
01-19-2009, 07:33 AM
Saying a prayer for you two :grouphug

JLM27
01-19-2009, 09:31 AM
Poor little Squirrlie! He still has a smile on his face in those pictures, though. He sure loves you. Sending a bit for the vet bill. More if you need it. I can't have aq pet squirrel for anumber of reasons, so I like to help out here.

sherbear59
01-19-2009, 11:17 AM
Saving his teeth are not an option. Saving him is. I am going to call them first thing monday.

Here is the paypal account. fartkowski@hotmail.com

It is my husbands account. I really appreciate any donations or advice. I think you guys are all so wonderfull for being so caring. Well of course !

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-19-2009, 01:20 PM
Any updates? :poke :)

gs1
01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
just found this thread.

prayers for you both.

you're in toronto too.

i so hope the vet was good, the exotics ones around here can charge and arm, leg and thigh. but even more important ----

i so hope that he doesn't take him from you!!!!

will wait to hear more.

all the best.

gs1
01-19-2009, 04:26 PM
hi: if this vet does not help my advice is going to be ridiculous but ... take him to montreal and use an address from there. Take him to amelias vet.

i know how crazy this is... but it's an emergency and he needs help.

i don't know who would help him apart from the humane society and toronto wildlife ... and we know about them already. (ugh.) .. and maybe too no-one could help because they'd lose their license?

well, need to go out...but will get back on asap to hear how you're doing.

squirrelfriend
01-19-2009, 06:00 PM
I got turned down by the vet again this morning. I did find yet another one. The soonest I am able to get him in is Wednesday morning at 9:30. The initial visit is $85. for the exam and $85. to put him under for the exam then additional for whatever meds that he needs. The extraction will be on another day. They said it was not considered an emergency unless he has stopped eating. His appetite is still good and he acts fine otherwise. Thank you all for your help.

squirrelfriend
01-19-2009, 06:11 PM
If it were to come down to that I do have a friend in Montreal who I am sure wouldn't mind me using the address.

JLM27
01-19-2009, 06:30 PM
Does he have to be all the way out for the exam? Or just really sedated? I ask because I know researchers can exam squirrels simply by wrapping them up like in a burrito with just their head sticking out. They use a felt cone. I thought maybe they could do that and then X-Ray him and put something into hold his mouth open while they look. Does this vet do squirrels much, or are they just being open to seeing Squirrelie?

I don't know if you said this or not, but is it legal to keep a pet squirrel in Canada?

gs1
01-19-2009, 08:03 PM
hi: i only came on for a second ...

are they making you wait to turn you down? meaning, that they'll get back to you? You seemed all set to take him in today and now this.

he's probably eating but is he eating as well as he could and meanwhile is there an infection stemming from the tooth into his blood stream.

This is just panic on my part since i know nothing about squirrels. (and i panic when the rabbits eating slows down - i know totally different)

The new vet on wednesday, does he know squirrels at all and can you be fairly sure that he won't seize him?

in ontario can they lose their license by helping squirrel owners?

I know that montreal is 5 hours by car but at least there is a vet there - amelias - who I think/hope knows about squirrels.

I'd think that finding squirrel vets is more difficult than rabbit vets because in ontario there'd be amost no people who look for treatment for them - as you know they're put to sleep if non-rehabible:soapbox .

jlm27: i think i answered your question, illegal in ontario, canada where we are in the toronto area but legal in Quebec which is the state next door and is where amelia lives. Montreal has vets.

(Maybe you don't have to go to montreal, maybe there is someone along the border who does a good business in 'quebec' squirrels.????

i'm sorry, i don't know enough to help you. We need an Ontario Squirrel Underground.

Are there any rehabbers in ontario that could help? Or even vets who have retired - at least then they'd not lose their license.

This is so sad and scary: to have a sick child and not be able to get treatment for it ...:soapbox

all the best.

squirrelfriend
01-19-2009, 08:47 PM
Does he have to be all the way out for the exam? Or just really sedated? I ask because I know researchers can exam squirrels simply by wrapping them up like in a burrito with just their head sticking out. They use a felt cone. I thought maybe they could do that and then X-Ray him and put something into hold his mouth open while they look. Does this vet do squirrels much, or are they just being open to seeing Squirrelie?

I don't know if you said this or not, but is it legal to keep a pet squirrel in Canada?

No it is not leagal to keep him here. I have tried myself to make a squirrelito out of him and he is not cooperating one bit. He is completely tame otherwise. I don't know if they have done squirrels much. I'll have to ask.

squirrelfriend
01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
[quote=gs1]

are they making you wait to turn you down? meaning, that they'll get back to you? You seemed all set to take him in today and now this.

The one before I had my friend call them on Saturday because I was working during their open hours. They told her that they do see squirels but I think that they only see them for rehabbers. I think the doctor was just scared to lose his licsence. He told me so. I think if I had been a regular of his he would have taken him in. I can understand his point too. If I spent all that money on vet school and creating a practice of my own I would be leary of a phone call too.

he's probably eating but is he eating as well as he could and meanwhile is there an infection stemming from the tooth into his blood stream.

He is eating well. Very well. I just have to feed him mushy stuff. His appetite is fine.

The new vet on wednesday, does he know squirrels at all and can you be fairly sure that he won't seize him?

I sure hope he doesn't try. They would have to pry him from my bloody dead hands in order to get him. I would be willing to do jail time for him.

in ontario can they lose their license by helping squirrel owners?

Yes

I know that montreal is 5 hours by car but at least there is a vet there - amelias - who I think/hope knows about squirrels.

If worse comes to worse I will.

i'm sorry, i don't know enough to help you. We need an Ontario Squirrel Underground.

YES!

Are there any rehabbers in ontario that could help? Or even vets who have retired - at least then they'd not lose their license.

I have no idea.

gs1
01-19-2009, 09:19 PM
hi: can't this board help you to find a rehabber with connections in ontario? or at least one who could help you? at the very least with info.

I thought there was a rehabber list.

you still need to know the restrictions on the vets.

Are there other people on this board who live in toronto/ontario who can advise?

maybe start a new thread ... almost emergency in ontario. ... in the i need a rehabber list - maybe if it's allowed.

i just hate the thought of 1. you don't have a vet in an emergency and 2. you don't know where you stand with this new vet.

whopoopwrasse
01-20-2009, 06:28 AM
hi: can't this board help you to find a rehabber with connections in ontario? or at least one who could help you? at the very least with info.

I thought there was a rehabber list.

you still need to know the restrictions on the vets.

Are there other people on this board who live in toronto/ontario who can advise?

maybe start a new thread ... almost emergency in ontario. ... in the i need a rehabber list - maybe if it's allowed.

i just hate the thought of 1. you don't have a vet in an emergency and 2. you don't know where you stand with this new vet.

We've been through this with Amelia, and it turns out there's not much help to be had in Canada. Amelia's vet is at a vet school so at first I wasn't so thrilled to bring her there cuz she's constantly surrounded by lots of students but that is all I could find for her. I think the best course of action if all else fails is to give her info on how to treat this without a vet. I know it's no the best course of action but if there's no other way. she could at least give him antibiotics and hot compresses to help drain the abcess.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Not for nothing but why not call the vet who turned you down and get the numbers of the rehabbers he knows. Perhaps they will give you meds if not help you by claiming he is theirs and get him seen faster?
You said you have no idea if there are any rehabbers in Ontario , have you searched? What about the ones that obviously use this vet?
It just seems that he is waiting longer and longer and he shouldn't have too. The poor thing has to be in pain and the infection spreading.

squirrelfriend
01-20-2009, 03:14 PM
His appointment is for 9:30 in the morning.

island rehabber
01-20-2009, 03:16 PM
That's great, SF....sending good energies & prayers to you and Squirrelie for tomorrow morning! :grouphug:grouphug

gs1
01-20-2009, 03:19 PM
hoping for the best.

here's me clutching at an even smaller straw, if it is too big an operation to get to the roots, is there a vet in Buffalo, N.Y. you could smuggle him in?

I don't mean fly him to florida since - he wouldn't be allowed out of the country, but it should be easier to smuggle him in a car over the border - as a last option.

sorry, that's way off base - i don't even have a clue what the legal implications would be.

a final thought, could your vet be willing to consult with a more experienced vet in the states? sometimes, rabbit vets are able to do this. As for expense - that's two vets to pay for.

i'm so, so sorry, this must be an impossible time for you.

squirrelfriend
01-20-2009, 05:04 PM
hoping for the best.

here's me clutching at an even smaller straw, if it is too big an operation to get to the roots, is there a vet in Buffalo, N.Y. you could smuggle him in?

I don't mean fly him to florida since - he wouldn't be allowed out of the country, but it should be easier to smuggle him in a car over the border - as a last option.

sorry, that's way off base - i don't even have a clue what the legal implications would be.

a final thought, could your vet be willing to consult with a more experienced vet in the states? sometimes, rabbit vets are able to do this. As for expense - that's two vets to pay for.

i'm so, so sorry, this must be an impossible time for you.

I will try to have faith in the new vet. At least I now have one that will see him. Actually today I accidentally called the wrong vet to confirm the appointment. Now I have two that will see him, if needed. If it really came down to it I would cross the border with him. But since I have Two that will see him I will try to avoid that. I am an American with a landed immigrant status here. If I got caught doing something like that I might lose my status. I don't know for sure but I don't want to find out if I can avoid it. I think I would try Quebec first.

Don't get me wrong, I am worried sick about my little guy. He has helped me through some really rough times. ahe is a very special guy.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-20-2009, 08:37 PM
So then I will take that as a no.
I wish him luck at this vet. I just don't get why you haven't tried to contact a rehabber earlier for help instead of making him wait. Thats kind of harsh.
Hopefully he gets out of pain soon!

gs1
01-20-2009, 09:57 PM
I will try to have faith in the new vet. At least I now have one that will see him. Actually today I accidentally called the wrong vet to confirm the appointment. Now I have two that will see him, if needed. If it really came down to it I would cross the border with him. But since I have Two that will see him I will try to avoid that. I am an American with a landed immigrant status here. If I got caught doing something like that I might lose my status. I don't know for sure but I don't want to find out if I can avoid it. I think I would try Quebec first.

Don't get me wrong, I am worried sick about my little guy. He has helped me through some really rough times. ahe is a very special guy.

Hi: i do know you're worried sick about him. Good luck tomorrow. Please let us know as soon as you can. I'm worried about his teeth but also very worried about his ownership in Ontario.

good luck, prayers will be said for you both.

I was thinking Buffalo before but -damn!!! it's in new york state and they're illegal there.

I wouldn't worry about your legal status in canada if you're smuggling a squirrel into the states - it's the states who would have a problem with it ... i'd think... anyway, we'll talk about that later .. the Squirrel Underground will have to find the legal state for him first.

again, prayers for you both tomorrow and the next couple of days.

gs1
01-20-2009, 10:00 PM
to Shesasquirrellygirl .. where are the rehabbers for Canada and Ontario on this list? Who to contact? Should i start a new thread? Is it my business?

Actually it is because i have gs1 and her babies and the rest of my guys and i might need help eventually -- although i so hope not.

thanks i answered my own question.

squirrelfriend
01-20-2009, 10:07 PM
So then I will take that as a no.
I wish him luck at this vet. I just don't get why you haven't tried to contact a rehabber earlier for help instead of making him wait. Thats kind of harsh.
Hopefully he gets out of pain soon!

You're a rehabber. You got a list of rehabbers?

gs1
01-20-2009, 10:26 PM
I looked at where this thread originated, i mean in what section, and it is supposed to be 'manned' bad choice of words - by rehabbers in the day time because it is not an emergency ... but from what i've read, there haven't been any rehabbers to advise - and by that I mean Canadian/Ontario rehabbers that know Ontario wildlife law....

squirrel friend i'm so sorry, this really has been a tough number of days for you.

i started the other thread already.

squirrelfriend
01-20-2009, 10:48 PM
At least it is just a few more hours to go until his vet visit. His abcess looks exactly the same. I know that don't mean much but at least it hasn't gotten bigger thus causing increased pressure. He only seems in pain if I actually touch it. He eats fine (though he only eats mush) and his appetite is very good. If he were to stop eating or his appetite slowed down the vet said that they would consider it an emergency and squeeze him in. I called them back to get reassurance that they don't plan on seizing him from me. Thank you all for your support. I don't know what all of us squirrel people would do without each other.:grouphug

gs1
01-20-2009, 11:19 PM
Hi: i'm still going to try and get all the information we will need - even ... insert prayers here, if he doesn't try to seize him from you and he knows squirrels - which will make him a living sainted vet ... we still, as Canadians - either Ontario or Quebec, but mostly ontario right now... we need help.

we need more information if we want to keep a squirrel - because it is illegal, we have to be very careful.

If we just wanted to hand them over to the humane society or wildlife center - fine - they'll take over and decide and that's easy for us.

But this situation with a pet squirrel is completely stressful and problematic.

I've never even received a parking ticket .... i'm not used to going around the law. :confused:

Who knows if this will be me in a years time? So, I help you but i'm also helping me. We all need this.

all the best... will keep going.

gs1
01-20-2009, 11:21 PM
Can I add that if he does help and is good you don't post the name of the vet to help maintain his privacy?

I'd give it out to people ofcourse, but very, very carefully.

all the best.

squirrelfriend
01-21-2009, 01:01 AM
Can I add that if he does help and is good you don't post the name of the vet to help maintain his privacy?

I'd give it out to people ofcourse, but very, very carefully.

all the best.

If all goes well with the vet I will let you know just in case you need it someday. No I won't post it on here. I want to keep this vet if they are good.

Thank you for helping me GS1.

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 05:50 AM
yes, we desperately need a list of canadian rehabbers, I'm almost embarrassed to say that the people I called on the list were of NO help at all. Believe me, I called alot of places that were supposed to help and it was like a broken record, "it's just a squirrel" and "let nature run it's course" and even the vet that helped Amelia was really pushing euthanasia HARD!!
ShesASquirrelyGirl, please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to pick a fight here because it's not the time or place to do so but telling Squirrelfriend that she's being harsh is not helping her in any way. She's doing all she can right now and she actually has it harder than me because she's in an illegal province so it's all that much harder.
We in Canada are rehabber challenged! We really need help up here!

Good luck at the Vet today, I hope they can fix him up asap!!!:grouphug

gs1
01-21-2009, 12:25 PM
i'm sitting on pins and needles... but i have to go out.

fingers crossed. prayers praying. hopes hoping. :grouphug

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-21-2009, 12:42 PM
yes, we desperately need a list of canadian rehabbers, I'm almost embarrassed to say that the people I called on the list were of NO help at all. Believe me, I called alot of places that were supposed to help and it was like a broken record, "it's just a squirrel" and "let nature run it's course" and even the vet that helped Amelia was really pushing euthanasia HARD!!
ShesASquirrelyGirl, please don't take this the wrong way as I'm not trying to pick a fight here because it's not the time or place to do so but telling Squirrelfriend that she's being harsh is not helping her in any way. She's doing all she can right now and she actually has it harder than me because she's in an illegal province so it's all that much harder.
We in Canada are rehabber challenged! We really need help up here!

Good luck at the Vet today, I hope they can fix him up asap!!!:grouphug
Except in one of her responses she said something about the vet saw squirrels because of some of the rehabbers there. So doing everything she could would be to contact one of those rehabbers which she obviously hasn't since she "has no idea if there are any" which makes no sense.
If a rehabber was called I am sure they would have at least helped with meds or let her know who would see it asap 4 days ago. I am a nice person and I try to spare feelings as often as I can but when it comes to making a living animal wait in pain possibly risking death then I could care less about feelings , times or places. If anything this is the time and place.

By the way yes I am a rehabber in A DIFFERENT COUNTRY. I wouldn't have a list of Canadian rehabbers if I don't live in cancada would I. However obviously she knew this vet new some rehabbers, and its not my job to go looking for rehabbers in another country but I will go do that right now and see what I can find. In the meantime perhaps you can take the vets name who turned her down or she can give it to me and I will find out the rehabbers all the way from Jersey. Or you can just let us know here which vet turned you down? That way in the future someone can call that vet and ask info the the rehabbers.

I am hoping that this squirrel has been seen today and is on pain killers and antibiotics.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I think GB just beet me too it = x I have a huge list to , saying its too long to post.
Anyway I am not familiar with Canada either and have no clue where you are. Find me the closest ones and I will call and talk to them personally.
I really do not mean to be a b**ch but my cares right now are about helping the squirrel not her feelings as harsh as that may seem. I hope you understand.

I am going to call toronto WIldlife and spca though and talk to them.

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 01:00 PM
I think we're all hoping to hear news soon! :grouphug

After my last post here I went to the other thread that was started about Canadian rehabbers and did a search for Canadian rehabbers, starting from a post already with Ontario rehabbers. I added what I could find from my search. We are lacking in many provinces and those we have are partly useless!
I called one of the ontario rehabbers this morning to give me an idea of what to expect and I got a 5 minute run around and then the person I spoke with finally said that most squirrels with injuries or serious ailments should be "put down" for thier own good!
I should of took down the place I called because I don't remember which one it was but I think it may have been one of the spca's judging by the answer I got.
The list for Quebec is even smaller and one of them I tried myself for Amelia, I never once got through by phone and my emails were never answered, that was André Malouf. Either way I spoke with another person who told me that the service was horrible and not to try calling them again.

Could you post the quebec and ontario section to see if it's the same people?

lookmomchickens
01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
:wahoo SF! Keep up the good work... :alright.gif :alright.gif

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 01:12 PM
Hi Gamma! :)

I saw your list, and just so you know Ottawa is about 3 hours from Toronto, which, in a pinch isn't too bad :D

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-21-2009, 01:25 PM
GB I agree except you cannot get in trouble for calling and asking. Its illegal to own squirrels in most of the states over here as well, but we still try to call and see if we can get help. Just never give your info.
I am not saying she is a bad person and I am glad she is trying to get vet help. What I do not understand was why she didn't get a list of rehabbers from the vet or even try calling the wildlife center to see if maybe someone would offer help without taking the squirrel away days ago to get this poor boy out of pain and possible death from infection. They cannot come arrest you or take your animal through the phone, and will not know where you live or your number if you call anonymously. The worst that can happen is no one will agree to help but its worth a shot.
I do not know how far anything is in canada or I would be calling numbers trying to help. I don't know if they are by ontario or what county or what town. I might find someone to help on the other side of the country but I wouldn't know. Someone up there needs to really call around and get a feel of people which whopoop seems to be doing.

Might I just throw out a friendly suggestion. When this is said and done, perhaps you can call and volunteer with some rehabbers and or the Toronto wildlife center spca with out them knowing this situation. I have already called them and they are looking for volunteers. (I am waiting for a call back from them as another rehabber trying to maybe get a list of them instead of the main #. ) At least this way you can get to know a few people and find someone who might be willing to help or have connections. Heck maybe you can even apprentice! You might even be able to foster babies etc in which case you would probably get a sub permit to have these animals in your care. You would be able to use that at a vet willing to see wildlife for a rehabber only.
Just a suggestion if anyone in that area is serious and dedicated to these babies.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-21-2009, 01:56 PM
I love ya GB but I have to disagree with you there.
I would never let paranoia stand in my way of getting an animal in pain help. I have been on the other side since I was a kid. I just got lucky enough to find the right people and make myself get involved to do this legally later in life.
I am not sure how its done in Canada but over here to block your # you hit *67 and dial the number you are calling or you can call from a pay phone if you need.
Phone companies will not give the number to someone. They are not allowed to, nor do that have the technology. Unless they have a warrant, the FBI and crap would have to go into files and records through computers, and no one will ever get a warrant for having a squirrel illegally. I hope that puts some minds at ease. Also as much as we care about wildlife, rehabilitaters do not have the authority to go on any ones property with out permission, break into houses, we do not have any connections with with the phone company etc. The health department cannot go into your house with out consent either.
The only way we can intervene is if we know someone is purposely harming animals they are not allowed to have, and we would have to go through with animal control and humane society etc. with proof and get warrants.
Its not as simple as going in and taking an animal out nor would we ever go to that extent over a call asking for help.
I did get a call back from the wildlife center and of course I missed it, but just left them my cell #. So far the girl named Julia sounds very nice and hopefully I can get somewhere with her.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Who told you they can just come bust in your house? Fish and game will call the health dept and they come to your house but they can't bust in. I had the health dept here last month after someone saw me taking in squirrels into my house that didn't know me. They said fish and game called them, and they had to come out. I wasn't home. I had a note left on my door to call them asap.
I went down and told them yes I did and showed them by permits but with out a warrant they are not allowed to bust into your home over a squirrel.
Perhaps a rabid animal causing potential harm etc. I've never heard of theat. Where did you read this?

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 03:10 PM
I will add a story to this,
My brother in law had a tiny black bear cub in a tiny cage when I went for a visit about 10 years ago. He said his friend had killed the mother when he was hunting and the cub would have died otherwise. Anyways the poor little guy had the saddest eyes and was so miserable and it was killing me to not say anything about it. His cage was in direct sunlight and they were feeding him milk from a bottle and my 10 year old neice was carrying him around like a toy doll.
A bit about my brother in law. He was one of those BIG loud jerks that thought he would keep this bear and tame it, he was physically and mentally abusive towards my sister for 13 years (why she stayed so long I'll never know) and when she left him, he decided to shoot and kill himself while he had both his younger daughters for the weekend.
Needless to say I said nothing about the cub because after I left she would of paid for it.
Before leaving I went out to the little cubs cage covered it with branches and gave him some water.
As soon as I got home I called the zoo near thier home and told them about it. They showed up with 2 police cars and the wildlife officers but only after telling them that my sister was to get no fines for it. To this day she doesn't know I called.................

4skwerlz
01-21-2009, 03:31 PM
I will only add that it was understood from the beginning that Squirrellie probably needs more than antibiotics--he needs surgery, which a rehabber can't do. So the search from the beginning was for a VET, not a rehabber. It was only when finding a vet turned out more difficult than SF expected that everyone started looking for a rehabber, who could at least provide antibiotics while SF continued to search for a vet or in case she had to wait for an appointment.

I agree with GB....Squirrelfriend's dedication to her squirrels is 100%. Help and suggestions are more than welcome; criticism (even implied) at this point just isn't helpful.

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 04:21 PM
Well my long and drawn out point was that even if they can't come and knock down your door, just having them AT your door is scary enough and once they know you have a hidden animal that you're not supposed to have, they will be on your case until they are satisfied that they took care of THEIR problem.

In the case of the cub, why they needed 2 police cars WITH a wildlife truck is beyond me. And I know when my sister called me to tell me what had happened, she said she was scarred and my neice was crying.... so who really wants to go through that? And of course they took the little cub.

I did keep tabs on him for a month or so and he was doing well and living at the zoo:)

muffinsquirrel
01-21-2009, 04:39 PM
All this discussion about rehabbers and vets and wildlife departments and who would and who wouldn't do what is very interesting, if a bit argumentative. But the bottom line is HAS ANYONE HEARD HOW SQUIRRELIE IS DOING?????? This is Squirrelie's thread - all about him and his health and well-being. I just want to know if the vet saw him, and what was done/decided. Is he OK?

muffinsquirrel

gs1
01-21-2009, 04:49 PM
so, we still don't know.

...this is a hard wait.....

gamma - it would drive me crazy what you and those who have a squirrel in an illegal state have to go through.

Louise: not to go too far off topic (yes muffinsquirrel) ...but please tell me your brother in law did not shoot his daughters ...

yay for the baby bear.

squirrelfriend
01-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Ok, I don't understand how I ended up getting critisised for not getting him a rehabber. As we all know rehabbers are not easy to find, ones found usually are over stocked with squirrels already or want to let "nature take its course". Wild life centers are usually of the opinion that if the squirrel can't live in the wild it should be put down for its own good. I am not judging all rehabbers. There are many good ones out there and there are a lot of very nice ones on here. I have however witnessed a lot of bitter arguments with squirrels owners and rehabbers on here where the pet owner gets ripped apart by the rehabber. Sorry but this makes me a little nervous around ones that I don't know. I want to add that there are many on here that I feel quite fine with. I hope they don't get offended by this. No offence is needed.

Now for an update.............Squirrelie did fine at the vets. Though I might add that he isn't too happy right now. He wasn't too impressed with the thermometor.:eek: He got them back though. He peed on them when they did that.:D Thats a good boy.

$593.00 later He is on antibiotics and painkillers. They took xrays. The tooth is not as bad as they though. HE has some infection just below the gums. they want to keep him on the antibiotics for about 3 weeks to see how he does. The vet hopes that he might not need surgery. They took some blood to do some blood work. I will find out the results tomorrow on that.

Hopefully all that clears up the fighting in here. The squirrel board is for the squirrels, not for critisizing others. Isn't that a rule on here? Sorry if that seems HARSH. Thank you those that defended me. I think that I did all that I could safely do to take care of him.

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 05:00 PM
OMG thank god NO, just himself but his daughter which were only 5 and 7 at the time, were home, but he had locked himself in the garage when he did. Quite a lousy thing to do to the poor girls, they still have problems to this day and this was 6 years ago.

Yes, I'm dying to know how it went with Squirrelly too!

gs1
01-21-2009, 05:05 PM
oh ... thank god!!!

well at least his vet will want to keep him as a patient at those prices.

fingers always crossed here - regarding no one exposes/outs him to the ...cough ... cough ... humane center or who ever it is ...

my thoughts on the rehabbers ...was find a rehabber who is sympathetic, in ontario and they'll lead us to a vet who will help. ...clear as mud?

so, whew.... happy squirrel dance...oh i'm so glad.....

Pam
01-21-2009, 05:08 PM
So glad that Squirrelie has been to the vet, and he is on antibiotics and pain meds. Hopefully that will take care of the infection, and he won't need any surgery. :grouphug

Roxy, my 6 YO squirrel, is still fighting a tiny abscess on her face. (May will be 2 years.) She is not in any pain and feels great. She just gets annoyed at having to have the drainage cleaned off her face.

gs1
01-21-2009, 05:10 PM
sorry, not to go too far off course:

louise: the two police cars and the zoo truck was in quebec?

and quebec has the most lax rules about animals in canada ...well no i can't say that , but i think it's more - anything goes- than ontario? (I think that's where our puppy mills are)... pm me if this too far off topic ... although ... i do think it's fairly appropriate because we are talking about canadian rules here.

gs1
01-21-2009, 05:17 PM
squirrelfriend ... i am so happy ...i'm going off to have some champagne... whew ...:crazy ... i've been worried for so long.

pm me when you want - not urgent ofcourse to tell me his name etc... and i will guard it with my life.

when you have time ... let me know too ... what he said about squirrels in canada, and a little about how come he does what he does and does he know others.

this is all for my canadian information list. so far there are 4 canadians on this board: 2 ontario and 2 quebec ... that's not so much to keep track of.

hopefully we can find others....

all the best.

Jackie in Tampa
01-21-2009, 05:18 PM
:thumbsup thanks for update!
Sounds better than I was expecting. This is very encouraging news!
And he will be getting pain meds, that is going to make him sooo much happier!:wahoo :wahoo
Glad you were finally able to get a vet to look at him!:wahoo :wahoo
:poke pics please!

muffinsquirrel
01-21-2009, 05:49 PM
OK - I'm a happy camper now - Squirrellie is much better off than we had feared, and it looks like this will all have a happy ending! So please feel free to go back to your discussion. :D :D It was very interesting, but I was too worried about the squirrel to really appreciate it. Seriously, I am sorry if I stepped on any toes - that was never my intent. But every time I would see a new posting on this thread, I would rush to find out how Squirrelie was doing, and all I'd see was more 'he said/she said'.

I agree that illegality is a serious problem, and needs to be addressed. I wish I had the magic answer, but, like everyone else, I don't.

muffinsquirrel

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 06:54 PM
sorry, not to go too far off course:

louise: the two police cars and the zoo truck was in quebec?

and quebec has the most lax rules about animals in canada ...well no i can't say that , but i think it's more - anything goes- than ontario? (I think that's where our puppy mills are)... pm me if this too far off topic ... although ... i do think it's fairly appropriate because we are talking about canadian rules here.

It's probably because it was a bear and not a squirrel.:D
The zoo truck was for transport and the police for backup since I don't think bears are supposed to be pet, I thought 2 cars was a bit much too but who knows, it's a small town and the other patrol car was probably bored!:D Or maybe they knew he was a voilent idiot.

Squirrel friend! I'm so glad all went well! I'm sure your little guy will be feeling great in no time! But I'll tell you I'm glad I'm not in Ontario, man That's a CRAZY vet bill, OUCH!!!

squirrelfriend
01-21-2009, 07:26 PM
You think that was a crazy vet bill? When she said that he may not need the surgery I almost peed myself. The estimate on the surgery visit would have been an ADITIONAL $1,4000! I will do it if he needs it but I hate to admit, (from a wallet point of view) I sure hope he doesn't!

I did find out something that we had suspected for a while. He has cataracts. I noticed when I took his picture for this thread that he had a strange reflection in his eye. I wasn't sure if it was a reflection or not but I thought that it was strange. The pictures won't show it on this thread, I corrected them before posting them. Now I wish I hadn't. The one that is more noticable is on the same side as the infected tooth. Coincidence?:dono He has the beginnings of one on theother side. I have suspected he had bad eye sight for a couple of years though.

whopoopwrasse
01-21-2009, 07:37 PM
How old is Squirrellie?
Both my Yorkis are starting cataracts, I'm not looking forward to the day when they can't see! :shakehead

Did you accidentally put an extra zero on that estimate?:wahoo
$14000 is an awful lot!!! :D

JLM27
01-21-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm thrilled that Squirrelie is going to be OK. My offer to help with vet bills still stands. I would have done ANYTHING for Pookie Pie, and I understand your bond.:jump

squirrelfriend
01-21-2009, 07:53 PM
Oops sorry. $1,400. Still a considerable amount though.:eek::D

Squirrelie was a fall baby of August 2005. He is almost 3 and a half. Quite young for cataracts I thought.

JLM27
01-21-2009, 07:57 PM
Early cataracts can be an inherited trait. My mother had them in her family.

ShesASquirrelyGirl
01-21-2009, 08:34 PM
SF I did not criticize you nor did I ask your opinion on what you thought of rehabbers. I havent told you what I think of people who bring in animals knowing they are not legal and then end up keeping them as pets have I? Ok so lets not go there.

I merely suggested you look for one who might be willing to help get him get on meds or direct you to a vet who can help which you obviously did not even attempt to try and thats what ticked me off. I never told you to "get him a rehabber" either. My apologies for worrying more about your squirrel then your feelings and trying to help. Its not that hard to find a rehabber if I can from another country!
I went out of my way to help you. I called outside of the country trying to talk to different rehabbers for you just incase you got shot down again. I talked to Julie from Toronto who runs the wildlife "centre". She was very nice but very professional and couldn't say much. She understands the situation and would love to help but she said even if it got down to someone surrendering a squirrel that has been in capture for that long they wouldn't have the facilities to legally hold it. They are not allowed to keep non releasable squirrels with out getting in trouble and although they would try to find an educational place for it they would more then likely have to put it down and she woudl hate to see that happen. Now of course I understand this as a rehabber and I do it anyway, but I can't expect her to say something like that on the phone , god forbid she was being recorded.
She did however direct me to a centre who has taken in non releasables for her and said you might try talking with them. I do not want to post the name publicly but you are more then welcome to it if you like. Now I understand you don't want to give your baby up and I do not blame you nor am I suggesting it. However it is good to have this info in case of any future issues . Its also good to know that Toronto wildlife centre also has staff on hand who deal with squirrels a lot and will always take in any injured or orphaned wildlife.

On another note, no one is arguing here as GB said. I love GB lots and we are allowed to have difference in opinions and ask each other questions etc. The day I actually argue with GB is the day you will see me leave this site as if it weren't for her and another on here I would have already been gone a while back. If they didn't convince me I wouldn't have been able to help many and get help from others.

Just so everyone knows I am the type of person who will say whats on my mind regardless of how someone feels about it. Maybe not always be a good thing but its how it is. Please do not take anything I say directly offensive as always my work is in the best interest of the animals only, not the people and I am sorry. I wish I was more of a people person. I may seem harsh but I assure you I have a huge heart and do care.

I am glad that the squirrel has finally seen a vet and glad that the infection didn't spread much. He is one lucky squirrel.

sherbear59
01-21-2009, 08:38 PM
OK - I'm a happy camper now - Squirrellie is much better off than we had feared, and it looks like this will all have a happy ending! So please feel free to go back to your discussion. :D :D It was very interesting, but I was too worried about the squirrel to really appreciate it. Seriously, I am sorry if I stepped on any toes - that was never my intent. But every time I would see a new posting on this thread, I would rush to find out how Squirrelie was doing, and all I'd see was more 'he said/she said'.

I agree that illegality is a serious problem, and needs to be addressed. I wish I had the magic answer, but, like everyone else, I don't.

muffinsquirrel :thumbsup I so totally agree with you I am so releived!!!:wahoo :wahoo :wahoo

gs1
01-21-2009, 09:47 PM
muffinsquirrel:D i have all my toes ... thank you

i know about the hesaid/she said... sorry ... anyway all the best....

must run ...

squirrelfriend
01-23-2009, 09:18 PM
Squirrelie seems to be making a little progress. He doesn't seem to feel as sensitive in that area. Still sensitive though. He's still the boss. Today while napping I wasn't allowed to so much as breath without him squawking at me.:D

island rehabber
01-23-2009, 09:25 PM
awwww, poor little grump. Here's hoping he starts feeling a little better everyday and is soon back to his sweet self. :Love_Icon

atlantasquirrelgirl
01-24-2009, 08:40 AM
SF, is that $1400 US or Canadian dollars? Glad to hear he is a little better, and the swelling starts going down soon.

ella
01-24-2009, 10:18 AM
I have a vet who will see my fox squirrels, mine are the only ones he has ever seen. Can anyone tell me what i can use to calm him down when he needs to be seen. I have tried benadryl and bachs remedy but they havent worked. my fella has had a breathing issue, i took him to my vets he didnt like it all but i did take him against his will. My vet wasnt sure what to use to sedate him to take xrays. we have him on predisone and it seems to have helped his breathing, i would like to have xrays done to make sure this isnt a tooth issue, needless to say he was good but couldnt get a good look in his mouth, so i thought xrays would be nice, he says his heart sounds good, almost like an astma issue. any help would be appreciated..Ty Pam,

Sciurus1
01-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Exotic Vets are trained in what to use for squirrels. Usually it is Sevoflourine, and sometimes combined with the traditional Isoflourine depending on the procedure. If he hasn't used it before, not a good idea to experiment with that on your pet squirrels. For this reason I had one Vet for surgery issues, and one for upkeep and medication issues, both were wonderful, and both did well.

squirrelfriend
01-24-2009, 10:36 PM
On the sheet here it says that induction-Isoflurane O2 was used to put him under for the xrays.

Ella, The Vet will have something to put him under to keep him calm.

ASG, $1,400 Canadian.

He is doing well. I notice that he isn't as sensitive in the teeth area.

Sciurus1
01-25-2009, 01:05 AM
Do you think then the teeth might possibly be ok, and not have to be removed to resolve this afterall? I sure hope so, for it is very hard on squirrels having this procedure. If he should have to have this done, check with Pam first, for she has some special instructions that can help to prevent specific complications during and after such procedures, that you should also relate to your Vet, just incase they are not aware of them.

squirrelfriend
01-25-2009, 02:01 PM
At this point we are waiting and seeing what happens with the antibiotics. He might not need the surgery. He has an appointment in another couple of weeks. We'll see how it looks after that.

gs1
01-25-2009, 10:27 PM
:wahoo i hope so... surgery is so risky and expensive.

all the best. yay!!!